chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

#41 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter takes the proffered map. "Don' ye worry lad. I wunnunt throw away good paper. It be so much better'n leaves when ye got ter do yer personal business in the bushes, aye? Haaaahr har har! I'm jes' yankin' yer chain, lad." Squinting with intense concentration, the uneducated halfling does his best to make sense of the map.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#42 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:The front gate guard looks worried at first but then nods understanding. Oh, I was afraid something happened to your mind out there. I'm Simon and Mom is in charge, of course. She'll want to see you first but you can rest right after. Everyone ok?

The two lookouts on the wall tense when they see the tied prisoners. Their bows swivel to track the bound men, not quite raised to firing position.
Travix nods and smiles in appreciation to Simons understanding.

We are as ok as we can be after the fright we just endured. As you can see, we brought some friends with us that just love to do hard work. I thought they might be able to help out in making things right around here. The mage hands over the ropes to the guards.

Let us make our way to Mom post haste then, good Simon. I for one am badly in need of some rest!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela accompanies the prisoners to wherever the guards in the fort want to take them and hold them. If asked about what has happened since they first left the fort, Graela remains somewhat tight-lipped, only offering the obvious information > found the thieves in some abandoned ruins, had a good fight or two, found the plaques, returned back to the fort.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Grateful they have returned safely to the fort, Tip shakes Simon's hand, and adds, "And I am in need of food, drink, and rest. Yes, please take us to Mom."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Ger'me a belly full of grub an' spirits, and a palate of dry hay to sleep on, and ye won' find a happier soul under ther sky!"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by coil23 »

Salt Peter squints at the map handed over by Hennoth, making a good show of sage comprehension that drinks in the details. This looks like a fragment and you can see the seam where two portions were torn from it, possibly more. Trees, hills, and what looks like the edge of mountains are represented on this portion. The text is more like hieroglyphics and is foreign to you. It looks like no writing you have seen before.

Once inside the compound, three guards quietly take the horses and prisoners to free you up to speak with Mom. Graela accompanies them into a large barn just inside the front gate (2 on map). One of the guards unsaddles and cares for the horses while the other two secure the three prisoners to the wall of the large open area in front of the horse stalls. They do not speak to the prisoners except to give terse instructions. The men are given some dried fruit and water and then the two guards settle down in different directions, 20 feet away from the prisoners, each with a loaded crossbow.

A female elf gestures for the rest of your party to follow her as she starts toward the largest building in the compound (4 on map). This building looks like a large barn, only sturdy enough to withstand an attack. Heavy wooden shutters with arrow slits adorn the windows, and all of these are closed on the first floor. The elf is terse but civil, I’m Verde. Anybody hurt, need tending to before you talk to Mom?

She leads you through the front doors into a large open area, on the far wall a staircase leading up and then splitting to lead left and right to the second floor. A balcony on either side overlooks this entry area. A hallway to your right spills out sounds of conversation and low laughter as well as the clangs and rattling sounds and delicious smells of a lively kitchen. Verde heads toward a doorway on the left.

As you walk through the doorway you see a long room, near the far end is Mom at a large table that sits in front of a fireplace. A man adds wood to the fire while another pores over some papers with Mom at the table. A guard with a crossbow sits in the gloom against the back wall in front of a small staircase to the second floor.
Mom looks up as you enter. You’ve returned in one piece. Good. Heard you brought company too. A wry smile at this as she gestures for your group to approach and take the seats around the table. She points her chin at Verde, tell Cook to bring something hot for these folks, drink too. Turning back to your group her eyes narrow, I was told all returned. Where is your dwarf companion?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:Salt Peter squints at the map handed over by Hennoth, making a good show of sage comprehension that drinks in the details. This looks like a fragment and you can see the seam where two portions were torn from it, possibly more. Trees, hills, and what looks like the edge of mountains are represented on this portion. The text is more like hieroglyphics and is foreign to you. It looks like no writing you have seen before.
Salt Peter rubs his chin, scratches his ears, and makes thoughtful noises. Eventually handing the paper back to Hennoth, he says with an air of authority, "'Tis a map, lad."

I was told all returned. Where is your dwarf companion?
"Ah, she went wit' yer boys ter see our fine lil' row of sausages got hung up good 'n proper. She likes ter be sure tha' a jobs done right."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix is glad to hand over the plaques to Mom.

Yes ma'am, we did bring the surviving bandits back here to you. I hope that is ok? As I said earlier, we are not bloodthirsty killers and I personally believe that any man can be taught to walk the straight and narrow with the right teaching and some good hard work.

Graela did return with us, but as Salty said, she is making sure the bandits don't give your men any trouble. If you want her here now, we could certainly go and retrieve her.

The mage proceeds to answer any questions Mom has. He is honest with his answers and is happy to tell her the whole story of the last days adventure. He even brings up the map, hoping that she may have some insight on it.

I don't suppose your plaques could translate those hieroglyphs on the map?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip also relays the group's experiences and findings, playing special attention to discuss their encounters with the hobgoblins and goblins. He regretfully tells Mom that they were unable to bring back all of the supplies that the bandits stole.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth looks puzzled with the grave pronouncement of the obvious regarding the map, unsure if the halfling is serious or if the boy is the butt of some joke. He nods solemnly to seem as if he is in on…whatever is going on here.

-------------------------------

Aye, we’ll see if we can put those men to work. I think leniency is worth a shot here. Of course one cross look and I’ll bleed out the lot of ‘em and burn the bodies. But no need to rush there, right? Mom gives a cold smile.

Her face comes as close to lighting up as is possible when she is handed the plaques. You kept your word and did a great service. Thank you, I am in your debt. And in return I believe these are yours. She drops a small pouch on the table and gestures that it is yours. Those stones have been appraised for 300 gold each. Six of ‘em there for your group. When opened you see 6 polished black opals inside. Mom waves off the idea of calling Graela back inside. No, whatever you wish. I just wondered why you were not together.

She takes in your story, pausing occasionally for questions, and seems intrigued by the strange room found in the cellar of the abandoned fort. She is dismissive of the supplies left at the fort. You have already retrieved the plaques. And I will take the safety of my people over some lost supplies. You have no need to apologize.

She and the man next to her exchange dark looks at the mention of the goblins. Mom goes very still when you describe the encounter with the hobgoblins. She looks thoughtful a moment and then, what are your thoughts on them?

She and the man standing beside her pore over the map for several minutes. We can’t make out the writing at all. And the plaques don’t help with that kind of thing. I can’t be sure without more of the map or deciphering the writing but I’d hazard that this map shows country not too far off to the northwest. But its age and where you found it…I recommend you be careful who you show it to until you know more of what it means. I’ll leave it in your care, and she slides it back toward your group.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter gleefully enhances the others' attempts at a straight-forward recitation of the facts. "An' thar we be, trapped inna stinking pit, surrounded by ther blood-crazed dead! E'erwhar we turned, it wars rotted flesh, tearing claws, and open, hungry mouths! They were so thick upon us that we counnunt see one another, nor ther floor, nor ther ceiling. We trod upon rotting torsos, an' were roofed by rotting limbs, and breathed only ther foul miasma of thar exhalations. An all ther time, as we fought to save our lives, our reason, our very souls, thar was tha' villainous mastermind, Criscor the Craven, laughin' and recountin' 'is evil plans and' stabbin' us in thar back! I took four o' 'is long knives in me own gizzard—they poked straight through, ruinin' me jerkin. But ther laugh was on Criscor, 'cuz damned if they dinnint skewer four more zombies as were coming up upon me. It wars then that me brill'yant and esteem-able mate, Travix ther Tricky, pulled from 'is bag o' magic tricks a dozen mysterious crystal orbs and scattered 'em about. An' each one hatched a dragon, and each dragon was breathin' 'is fire, an' thar dead was roastin', and I'll be gob-smacked if'n it warsn't thar very picture of Perdition."

And so on and so on. He does not, himself, bring up the hobgoblins, but if the other does, he recites fully and without embellishment his opinion of them as having acted honorably and without malice towards the inhabitants of the outpost.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by coil23 »

Mom listens to Salt Peter's harrowing account with the straightest of faces and then turns to the others, was he in a different cellar?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela listens to Salty's tale and can't help but laugh until there are tears in her eyes. Wiping her face so as not to embarrass him, she walks into the hall and addresses Mom with a slight bow of her head.
"Did you tell her about the hobgobs?" she whispers rather loudly, elbowing Tip in the ribs.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, whispering to Graela: "Ther other lads flapped thar yaps. But she dinnint seem ter jump ter any nasty conclusions, an' 'eard us out about whut we thought o' 'em. Oh, and she gave us them opals she promised. About ther size of a hen's egg, and fit to keep me living style through winter, at least."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip takes Graela's jibe in stride and laughs longingly at Salty's embellishments. "The hobs seemed to be on the up and up, but... we are talking about hobgoblins here. They're not typically renowned for their philanthropy and honesty." He then stares wide-eyed at the opals and thinks to himself, "A veritable fortune lies upon that table."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by coil23 »

Mom nods back at Graela in greeting. Seeing others enter behind you Mom stands from the table and announces, I need to see to the prisoners and other matters. Your party is welcome here now and in the future and you're welcome to stay the night. If you let my people know when you'd like to leave, they will have your horses ready and waiting. Any more questions for me, just let one of my people know. Any news on what's going on in this area or on this map you found I would appreciate hearing about. Thanks again for your help. She nods gravely and looks at each of you in turn.

If no one has anything else they want to say to Mom, she and the man next to her leave the room. The man by the fireplace and the guard in back are in the back of the room, talking quietly and playing cards. The two look far enough away that your group can speak with privacy if you don't raise your voices.

The two who entered the room are carrying trays of food and drink for your group. You see pheasant, roast beast with potatoes and turnips, wheat bread with butter and honey, ale, water, cheese, apples, and a bottle of whiskey. There are enough chairs at this large table for your entire group.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter's eyes widen at the appearance of the feast. Popping a turnip in his mouth, he crunches it, delightedly—but then he suddenly starts and yells at the man who brought the food in, "AHR! Mate! Can't ye count? Thar's five o' us an only one bottle o' jack! What're ther other four s'ppossed ter drink?"

Salt Peter assumes the water is for washing.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip beams a smile at Salty's response, glad to have the man's humor to balance the the recent grim realities. He then willingly helps himself to his portion of all of the provisions.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by coil23 »

The man stops and turns to glare at Salt Peter's demand but the one next to him whispers to him, They're Mom's guests.
He nods and mutters something angrily as he's leaving the room. The other man stifles a laugh and pipes up, He said that's a great idea and we'll be right back with more whiskey. Still smiling he exits with the other man.

Hennoth, once again disconcerted by the boisterous halfling's behavior, makes sure to sit on the other side of the table. He digs in to the food with relish.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix enjoys a well deserved breakfast with his friends. He tries not to blow water out of his nose every time he takes a drink when Salt Peter is talking.

I would most assuredly say that the 5 of us make a great team! In fact, I wouldn't mind going out again after a bit of rest. Let's see if we can find out what that map is all about and maybe kill a few more goblins. Does anyone have ideas about where to go next?

The mage tells Mom and anyone else willing to listen about his tales concerning everything he has seen involving corrupt magic. He hopes to learn everything he can about the current phenomenon before heading out again. He makes a mental note to be sure to ask Sirling about it when they go to show her the map later.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”