chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

#21 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Damn! We need to be away from here at once." Tip rises to inspect the ichor-stained blade. Afterwards, he returns to Barnaby's lifeless body, "Here, can someone help me carry him? We can't leave him down here to become food for the gods know what."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix grabs onto one arm of the gnome to help carry him.

We never did find a well down here! I sure hope leaving that last avenue unchecked doesn't come back to haunt us.

Is everyone still ok? Are we all still good with getting out of here?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Aye, let's ship out."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela shudders and gapes at the body of the gnome. When her companions affirm on leaving, she doesn't say a word, but makes for the tunnel and retraces their steps as fast as she can so her companions can keep up, especially Tip and Travix who are carrying the dead gnome.

DM, Let me know if I need to roll anything; otherwise, Graela is getting the hell out of there as fast as possible!
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth looks stricken at the sight of the gnome's body on the ground. He stares at it a moment as if remembering something then strides up to the body and takes it from the others without a word. He gently places Barnaby's body over his shoulder and follows the others out of the cellar. The group quickly returns back up the hall, eager to be rid of this place. Travix takes one last look over his shoulder, wondering where the well could be. At the head of the stairs you follow the hall to the large central room (5). With open sky above you again through the collapsed ceiling you can see dawn is almost upon you. A lightening sky and the sound of nearby birds singing give this place a very different feel from when you explored it in the dark.

Behind you is the makeshift camp of the bandits (6), ahead is the open doorway of the fort and the forest beyond (4).

map
abandoned fortress map-resized.jpg
abandoned fortress map-resized.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 300 times

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter checks in on the captive bandits.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

I suppose it is time to set them free?

I don't think they will cause us anymore trouble anytime soon.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I'm not so sure about letting them go. Maybe we should bring them back with us to Mom. It wasn't such a long way away, and daylight has arrived. We could probably make it back in no time.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by coil23 »

The remaining three bandits still sit, trussed and hooded where you left them. They all visibly flinch and cringe hearing you come back into the room, then seem to relax (slightly!) when they realize you are not zombies.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix goes around and collects his sacks (hoods) from all of the bandits heads.

Well, you heard him! On your feet lads! We are going to take an early morning trip back to Mom's! I'm sure you would prefer that to us simply leaving you here to be eaten, yes? Heck, we might as well just go ahead and use your horses to make the trip a lot quicker. Now, lets get moving!

Travix collects his things and sees to the horses, hoping that they will make a viable source of quick transport back to the outpost.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela helps Travix with the prisoners and then, when they have secured the plaques and anything else they are taking from the place, she leads them out of there, heading back to the fort.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, with his sailor's expertise in marlinspikery, ties the prisoners into a marching chain, and double checks the rope and knots to make sure everything is secure.

"'Ere, somebody tall—tie this rope ter one o' ther 'orses, aye? 'Ow many o' ther great wallopin' beasts 'as we got? I... er, ye don' 'spect me ter pilot one o' 'em, do ye?" Standing next to the horse, the tiny halfling barely reaches one of its hocks.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Aye, excellent idea my friend, Travix, but my fellow halfling has a point. It might be difficult for those of us of shorter stature to navigate these fine steeds. We may require assistance..."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"Tip and Salty have a point. Travix, do you think you and Hennoth could ride while we walk? We could also strap the prisoner across the horses' backs and tie their hands underneath the horses' bellies. No chance of 'em escaping thataway. What do you think?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by coil23 »

Unhooded, the remaining bandits are blinking and looking around warily. Worried expressions are renewed at the mention of being taken to Mom’s but no one seems to think they are in a position to argue the point. There are frequent glances at their comrade slumped on the ground with a crossbow bolt through his neck and the absence of Criscor speaks volumes as well. They quietly allow themselves to be tied into a coffle and wait for further orders.

Checking on the horses you find four still in the corral, as the hobgoblin promised, as well as four saddles. In the corral room Hennoth seems keen on the idea of helping with the horses to the extent he is listening to you at all since he is currently distracted with petting the horses and feeding them some dried fruit from his pack.

A search of the bandit’s belongings provides 25 silver pieces, 2 short bows, 3 short swords, 4 daggers, 2 quivers of arrows. In Criscor’s pack in the campsite room you also find a small gold box (empty, worth 30gp). The crates of supplies stolen from Mom’s still lie at the back of the room.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Well, shall we divvy up the loot and be off to Mom's? She will be happy to know that we have recovered the Heirlooms. It's unfortunate that her crates of supplies will have to wait, but I'm sure she would say that the plaques take precedence."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

"I agree Tip. Lets pack everything that we can carry on the horses and get these boys back to the outpost. Mom can decide what is the best way to handle these bandits. I am sure that they wont need to be executed. In fact, Mom might even be able to make responsible citizens of them before long. I am certain she could use a few more strong backs in any case".

The wizard packs up a horse with the most urgent of the remaining supplies and starts to lead the group back towards the outpost.

"Let the bandits walk behind the horses. It will give them time to reflect on their past discretions and the smell might help change their outlook on life a little as well".

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by coil23 »

[1d10] = 4

Your return trip to Mom's outpost is uneventful. At first the prisoners seemed spooked to be in the forest, especially when helpless by being bound. But nothing untoward happens and after awhile they lapse into a sullen silence and walk along behind the horses. The forest seems peaceful and full of life at the moment: birds singing, squirrels flitting from branch to branch, you come upon a deer who stares for a long moment before breaking to dash away through the underbrush.

Hennoth had been examining the map found in the cellar as your group walks. He warily approaches Salt Peter and offers it to the halfling. If you promise not to throw it you can look at the map. We should show it to Silring too.

By the time you step into the clearing surrounding the fort, the lookouts on the wall are looking your way and seem to have been alerted that you were coming. You recognize Simon as the guard standing at the front gate just as he was when you first arrived. He is beckoning you to approach as the gate slowly swings open.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Still trying to be cautious with all the strange things he has seen and heard in the last day or two, Travix addresses Simon before advancing any closer.

We have returned!

Now, tell me! What is your name good sir and who is the leader of this fort?

One can never be too careful, you see.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by coil23 »

The front gate guard looks worried at first but then nods understanding. Oh, I was afraid something happened to your mind out there. I'm Simon and Mom is in charge, of course. She'll want to see you first but you can rest right after. Everyone ok?

The two lookouts on the wall tense when they see the tied prisoners. Their bows swivel to track the bound men, not quite raised to firing position.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”