chapter 2 - heirlooms

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 2 - heirlooms

#341 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, indicating Criscor's body, "He'da jus' kept lying, leadin' us inter danger. Nothin' wasted, there. We can stumble inter danger jus' fin on our own.

"Aye, let's check in wi' Greala. If'n we be 'bout ter poke ur noses aroun' 'ere some more, I'd rather 'ave 'er wit' us than keeping an eye onna bunch trussed up turkey-fowl."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#342 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth tucks the flasks of holy water away in his pack and follows the others upstairs. You come up the stairs and turn the corner to the hallway back to your teammate.

The group did not expect to see Graela in the hallway, bloody spear at the ready, standing at the doorway to the campsite. A small goblin corpse sprawled half in the room helps round out the question on your minds. Face grim, she shakes her head and explains her adventure while the rest of you explored underground.

Some goblins came snooping and looked about to attack so Graela killed one with her spear and the gnome chased off after one or more others out the front gate. Something ran off further down the hall too.

Looking the party over Graela asks, so, did we find the last one so we can get out of here? And where is our friend Criscor? Don’t tell me you let him go.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter spits. "Ther gnome buggered off? Mos' likely ter rejoin 'is goblin comrades. There's too danged much activity aroun' this wrack 'n ruin fer my taste. Bandits, an' 'obgoblins, and rot-walkers, an' gnomes an' goblins. 'S like a blarsted carnival. It can't be all unrelated.

"I'd say we 'ave two courses of action. Course ther first: Take ther two plaques as we found, and scamper back ter Mom. Two's an awful lot better'n none, an' she oughter be satisfied.

"Or, with this many 'ounds sniffing round ther galley door, thar mus' be a fine mince pie coolin' inside. If'n we're up ter it, we could take a serious reconner-saince of ther place an' see what profit might be gained from it.

"What think ye? "Ow are we 'olding up?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#344 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

The night grows late, but I feel fine. I wouldn't mind finding the third plaque so we can complete the mission before we retire for the evening.

I am definitely against staying here now that I can see that this is the most popular place in the entire wood.

What do the rest of you think?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#345 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I have to agree that I think there is more to this place than simply a pile of old stones. Criscor mentioned a well below. Might there be something down there? I know this might not be the popular opinion, but I think we should keep looking for the third relic before returning to Mom."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Graela, what say ye?

"Oh, an' as fer Criscor... He ended up hoisted on 'is own petard. Led us inter a trap, and dinnint make it out hisself."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#347 Post by coil23 »

Graela smiles with satisfaction at Criscor's demise and nods at the others' input. I agree, let's finish what we came here for. Let's keep looking.

Hennoth adds, Yes, we gave our word.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#348 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Where to then? Have we searched everywhere but the well down below?

Maybe we should bring another of these meat shields with us?

He yanks the hood off of the closest brigand.

Do you want to die or do you want to live? Your friend Criscor liked lying to us. He was just eaten by one of those zombies downstairs. Do you want to help us? Can you tell us where the plaque is hidden?

If we have to search again, you will lead the way as the late Criscor did.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#349 Post by coil23 »

The man's face drains white with fear. There are zombies here?

He shakes his head and continues. I don't know where any plaques are. Honest! I never even been downstairs. I went upstairs once to haul some crates and that's it. I just wanna get out of here alive.

You hear a small bloody splat on the ground behind you. Lying in the doorway to the campsite room is a bloody, severed goblin ear. The gnome is back, leaning against a wall. Caught one, he gestures to the ear on the ground in front of him, but one got away. Got to ask a few questions before this one bled out. Evidently they been watching this place, moved in to look around when they saw the hobgoblins leave. The rest are in some place nearby they call The Burrow. Sounded like their interest in here was because of the hobgoblins. My guess is they’ll be back tomorrow night.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter looks in disgust at the goblin ear. "Yer gonna clean tha' up, hain'tcher? Cor, I knew a ship's cat as was ther same way. Always dragging in finches and bilge rats and leaving 'em outside ther cabin door. Still, if'n ye meant it as proof of yer bona fides, I s'ppose it'll do.

"So. Mom'll want this news o' ther goblins as much as the plaques, I'd wager. But we got some time ter operate before we head back. How thorough did ye inspect upstairs? Is it worth another look before we head belowdecks again? After all, no reason ter believe Criscor when 'e said the third plaque was down 'ere."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#351 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"We searched pretty thoroughly. Wouldn't you say, Travix. I think our best bet is to return to the basement and search for the well or any possible secret doors."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#352 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix shakes his head at the gnomes ghastly action.

Yes Tip, I believe we did. So, let's go find this well then. I think we should stick together this time though, unless someone wants to volunteer for guard duty again.

The wizard seems a bit unsure as to how to deal with the prisoners.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, re: the prisoners: "Double-check ther marlinspikery on our trussed up patridges, an' then leave 'em where they lie. I hain't too worried about them getting loose. It seems more likely tha' ther Empress of ther blarsted Moon is gonna traipse in before we get back."

Getting close to one of the prisoners, he says, "All japes aside, yew lot'll wanna stay still an' quiet. The dead is awoke, and wandering, and my, but this would be a fine feast fer 'em. So don' draw attention to yerselves, aye?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by coil23 »

The man you were questioning nods vigorously at the idea of staying quiet and still so as not to attract the walking dead. The others shift uncomfortably at these words but do not make noise. After checking their bonds to ensure they are secure the group is ready to go back to the cellar. Hennoth looks grim and determined, gripping his mace a bit too tightly perhaps, awaiting instructions. Barnaby seems ambivalent- not keen to descend to where zombies have just been located, but also curious as to what else may be found down there. Shrugging, he accompanies your group.

Your noses are once more greeted with the foul smell and dampness as you stand at the head of the stairs. You descend to the storeroom at the foot of the stairs, light some torches, and then proceed down the hallway from this room to stand at the T in the hallway that is familiar to some of you. To your right is the 10 foot walkway that opens into the room that now holds zombie corpses along with Criscor's lifeless husk. Ahead of you the hallway continues into darkness.

Actions?

I am assuming routine marching order. Where would you like Barnaby the gnome in this? Who has lit torches? Any changes to the above? A map of the cellar has been started in map thread.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#355 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

The small halfling looks nervously about as he holds his torch aloft. He looks at each of his companions and asks, "Well, before we proceed, I think we should check this room for any secrets it might hide." He gestures to the room full of corpses, then proceeds to go about the room tapping the walls and looking for any hidden passages.
Last edited by Mant72 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#356 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix also grabs a lit torch.

I agree Tip! Let us make sure we clear these rooms completely before we proceed further into this place.

The mage helps search the room further, giving the whole place a good once over. If nothing more is found, he urges the group to move along.

Barnaby! Do you have dark vision or skills for finding traps and such? If so, would you lead the way towards the well?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by coil23 »

Barnaby looks at Travix unenthusiastically for a moment and then nods.

I can see body heat in the dark and I'll walk in the lead if you like. Just remember I'm small so building my casket will be a quick affair.

He follows Tip into the room on the right to help look for secret doors and such.

Hennoth seems unsure what to do with the walls so he searches through the refuse on the floor in an attempt to be helpful. He keeps a healthy distance from the zombie corpses though. Graela stands guard in the hallway to keep an eye in both directions while others look through the room.

Neither Tip nor Barnaby find any secret doors along the walls. The stench of the zombies seems somehow worse now that they are inert. Hennoth does not report any discoveries.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela stands with her back to the wall where she can see in three directions > right, back the way they came, left, leading down the corridor and the unknown, and straight ahead, where she can watch her companions...and the gnome. She hates the undead and is glad to be on guard duty and not in amongst them. The smell alone nearly brings the rabbit stew back up.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Are we all feelin' satisfied tha' we turned this room o'er right thorough? Ready ter mosey down ther 'all?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by hedgeknight »

"Very much ready," Graela answers as she begins to move slowly down the hall, allowing her companions to catch up and fall in behind.
Winter is coming...

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”