chapter 2 - heirlooms

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 2 - heirlooms

#381 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix nods, not really sure which way to go.

He follows the brave halfling towards the light, but turns around periodically to check on those in the rear of the group.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter keeps the rear, alert to the likelihood of opportunistic rats following them.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela follows Barnaby to the right, toward the source of light in the dark tunnels.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#384 Post by coil23 »

The group turns the corner and sees the source of illumination is a three candle sconce on the right hand wall that seems to have ignited on its own. Ahead of you the hallway continues another 10 feet and then seems to open into a large, well-lit room. A fireplace can be seen on the far wall of the room with a cheery fire burning inside. In front of the fireplace is a round table with three chairs around it. To the left you can partially see a long table. This certainly does not fit with everything else found so far in the cellar but there is nothing openly ominous.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Cor, chase me Aunt Fanny up a banyan tree—'Tain't nuthin' so s'picious as summthin' this uns'picious, aye?

"Graela, would ye keep on eye on the rear? The rest of ye, hang back a mo'."

Arrow drawn, the tiny brown creature steps carefully into the room and begins looking around.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip covers Salty with his bow and arrow as his fellow halfling makes his way about the suspicious chamber.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela sniggers at Salty's exclamation despite the fact she too believes something is not quite right about this idyllic scene. Then she swaps places with him and guards the rear of the group, eyes and ears keen for surprises.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#388 Post by coil23 »

As your party watches the halfling enter the room, you see his body flinch slightly when he first steps inside. But there is no overt distress from Salt Peter, no other movement in the room. Your companion begins to slowly move around to cautiously explore.

The sentry looking back down the hall sees nothing but darkness. The damp and smells continue.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#389 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix waits at the doorway investigating the magical candle sconce, but he notices the subtle flinch from Salty.

Are you OK little fella? Tell us what that flinch was all about? All this talk I have heard about strange happenings out here has made me nervous. This room does little to dismiss those feelings.

Is everybody still themselves?
He looks around at each member, hoping that everyone is still acting of sound mind.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#390 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Other than being scared out of my wits by this witchery, I believe myself to be in my normal frame of mind."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#391 Post by coil23 »

Even odder than the flinch is seeing Salt Peter suddenly dash to a bookshelf, snatch a book, and then rush out of the room. The party looks questioningly at the halfling for an explanation of his alarm.

Peering at the one souvenir taken from the mysterious room, you see the book concerns mythology of the Spine of the World Mountains and the Southron Kingdom. Hennoth’s eyes widen and a gleam there tells you something of the text’s value. Pelor’s Bounty, the young cleric exclaims softly. Hennoth turns and marches into the room, heading for the bookcase the halfling just returned from.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#392 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

The bewildered halfling turns to Travix and Graela and shrugs his shoulders in uncertainty, "What do suppose this is all about?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter attempts to grab at Hennoth. Missing, he calls out, "Careful, lad!"

To the others, he says, "It be a wicked, witchy room. All appears shipshape, but it feels like eels wriggling aroun' yer insides."

Looking at the book, he says, "I dinnint 'alf expect ther room ter let me go, 'specially wit' a book. But it did. So... I dunno, if'n this book be as golden as ther gleam in ther boy's eyes when 'e saw it, it may be worth plunging in fer some more.

"If'n 'e gets outta thar in one piece, that is."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela takes a step back from Hennoth. "Salty, are you saying, the room is a ruse? A trick of the mind, maybe? I don't like witchery or witchcraft or anything to do with such!" she says, shivering involuntarily.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#395 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The thoroughly confused Travix also tries to grab at the boy priest, now certain that something is amiss. Roll?

This place has a pox on it! Everyone stay where you are until we can figure this out!

The old man tries to prevent anyone else from entering, hoping someone has an idea about what is going on here. He remembers an old trick that consisted of controlling his mind and disbelieving illusions and the like. He tries that while peering into the room, still standing in the relative safety of the doorway. Roll? :D

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter taps the book in his hand. "Seen ter be real enough. S'just wrong."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#397 Post by coil23 »

It is too late to grab Hennoth before he enters though Travix’s stance causes the gnome to pause as he was about to walk into the room as well- Might as well look around. Barnaby shrugs though does not try to shoulder past the spellcaster.

Inside the room Hennoth exclaims breathlessly, this library is amazing, as he scans the bookshelf. And my insides feel fine. It feels peaceful in here.

[1d20] = 12
Travix intently examines the room from right outside the threshold. Everything seems to be exactly as it appears. The only inherently odd things are how the candles lit by themselves and Salt Peter’s adverse response to the room.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#398 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip looks up at Travix and offers, "I still think that one of us should remain here on the threshold. I will volunteer if you would like to peruse the books."

Tip continues to guard the party's back with his bow and arrow ready.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#399 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix nods at the logic of the halflings.

It is possible that this room reacts differently to each persons moral makeup, I suppose. For my own personal reasons, I will refrain from entering. The last thing we need is for my mind to go all wonky. The next thing you know, I will be firing off spells at you guys. You can enter if you would like to, Tip. I will watch the hall.

Out of curiosity, the mage experiments a little by snuffing one of the three magical candles. He looks around again, wondering if that will make any difference to the look and or feel of the strange library.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter spits on the floor: "So yer sayin' ther room 'as made a judgement 'pon me, an' foun' me worthy o' eel-guts? Can't say as I care fer critiques from archy-tecture. I noticed some sick inna corner, an' I can jus' imagine that's from Criscor stumblin' in 'ere.

"If'n Travix is gonna wait out inna 'allway, mebbe we ought tie rope 'roun' ourselves, in case ther room bewitches us, and we some inducement ter leave."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”