chapter 2 - heirlooms

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 2 - heirlooms

#61 Post by coil23 »

Judging by the sun at your back, it looks to be about an hour before sunset. A little further east through the thinning trees you can see the plume of smoke more clearly and it certainly seems reachable before it gets dark. Just over one more small hill and you should be able to see the source of the smoke.

addition: No other tracks are noted in the immediate area other than some animal tracks and none of those appear fresh.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Hang back lads. I'll crest ther hill and tell ye what I sees."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#63 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix waits as instructed. He finds himself admiring the bravery of his new companions more and more, especially the little ones.

I hope yonder fire is a good omen. I wouldn't mind sleeping in the comfort of a large company of guards or soldiers out here. Just to be safe from this invisible boogeyman that seems to be lurking about.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Agreed! I do not openly seek confrontations, and try to avoid such actions whenever possible, but fighting possession or that which is invisible does not sound inviting in the least. I do hope brave Salty returns soon and with good news."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter returns. "O'er yonder's an ol' fort. Ther plume's ther only sign o' life—no guards or other activity 'round about. I'd reckon it be a very small number in thar."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

I say we investigate it further. I like the thought of spending the night in an enclosed building as opposed to taking our chances out here.

Lets go see what's cooking.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by hedgeknight »

"We need to proceed with extreme caution," Graela says, looking at the dead man for a few more seconds. "The fort may be where the men, now dead, were heading. P'raps their companions await them. If we show up, they may think we killed them. I'm for watching the fort until dark, maybe gauge how many are inside. If we outnumber them, go in; if not, wait until morning. I don't mind sleeping in the dark without a fire if it keeps us from getting our throats slit."
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Wise words one and all! Yes, watching the fort until nightfall seems prudent. Let's do that before entering. We can watch from the edge of the forest. Sleeping in a place with walls sounds promising. Let us hope we do not meet with any foes."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by coil23 »

The group travels and tops the final hill to look down. You see a dilapidated fortress sitting on top of a low rise and nestled into a recession in the cliff walls. The walls look to be about 30 feet tall and the left side of the building has fallen apart to the point of most of the roof being gone from this side as well as the left front tower fractured and crumbling, large gaps to the side, though still partially standing. The right side still has some roof as well as portions of a second story it looks like. The front gate seems to have disappeared altogether and there is a 20 foot wide doorway leading inside. The long ramp leading up to it is somewhat steep though still looks relatively comfortable for person or horse. The entire structure looks to be perhaps 400 feet wide.

The smoke rises from the middle back portion of this structure, no sounds heard at this distance. Watching for a while, you see two men leading a horse loaded with fire wood returning from another section of the woods. They quietly enter the fortress and disappear into the dark. Both men looked to have swords and one has a bow.

As your watch continues, the sun set behind the trees and darkness fast approaches. You faintly see flickering as of torch light somewhere beyond the empty space where a front gate used to be.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "What say ye? Approach an' hope they be 'ospitable? Sleep in the dark? Or shall I jus' slip in thar an' open some throats whist they sleep?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by hedgeknight »

"I say all of us ease down to where the men with the wood entered the fort; see what we can see from there. Listen to their conversations, get a head count, and then make a decision about whether to invite ourselves in. What say you, my friends?"
Graela leans on her spear, scuffing the ground with her boot.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I agree with Graela, we need more information about these men before we take further action. We do not know if they are hostile or friendly, and I would hate to act too rashly. Let us creep down after the darkness settles further and have a listen to see if we can learn more."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#73 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Never one for throat slittin, Travix simply nods at the ideas to get closer and see what can be learned from these men.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by coil23 »

Quietly moving down the hill to the fort, the cliffs behind loom over you. The steep walkway leads you to the front gate opening. Inside the gateway there is a large, dark chamber (˜100’x100’) partially open to the sky. Some debris is scattered on the floor but mostly is just empty and dark. At the opposite end is a doorway, torchlight and laughter coming from somewhere beyond it. To either side is a 20 foot wide hallway stretching away, you hear the sounds of horses coming from the right and a torch flickers on the wall down this way.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela takes a few quick steps back into the darkness, beckoning her companions to follow.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Heeding Graela's warning, Tip also steps into the shadows and covers himself with his cloak to assist with the process.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix also sticks to the shadows. He eyes up the hallway "down this way", hoping to get a better look at what's inside.

He whispers to the group.

They might be friendly, but why take chances? Let's stick to the walls of this large dark room and try to get a little closer to have a listen in on what they are saying.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by coil23 »

You creep forward into the dark room, toward a 20 foot wide opening on the opposite side, keeping to a side wall. The half moon is frequently hidden behind clouds so does little to light your way through the partially collapsed roof as you side-step debris. This doorway leads to another, separated by another hallway running left and right like the one behind you.

Ahead of you looks to be an even larger room. Through the doorway you can see large amounts of rubble pushed up against the walls, a few tarps stretched out from the walls to create areas with makeshift roofs. Some torches on the walls cast light and from the dancing shadows and crackling sounds there is a fire somewhere to the left in the room. A small gathering of crates and a couple barrels are against the far wall that you can see. A man kneels there, sorting through items from a crate and occasionally throwing a remark over his shoulder. Several voices can be heard from your position- five in all.

Anything good in there, Newhon?

Not really though the arrows will come in handy.

I wish Tine would run out of spit so he and Lace could hurry up and bring back something better to eat than these rabbits. someone guffaws

So, we goin’ back for more? No apparent response to this.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter whispers "Sounds ter be our bandits, aye?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Whispering back to Salty, "Aye, I like not the feel of this, but let us try to hear more before we take action."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”