chapter 2 - heirlooms

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 2 - heirlooms

#41 Post by coil23 »

The meat is fresh venison. Graela removes and cleans off a fillet knife from the corpse's head. (would count as a dagger)

Rifling through the dead man's pockets produces steel and flint, four smooth stones and a sling torn in half, three canvas sacks, and 10sp.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#42 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix stows the usable items and speaks to Hennoth.

You heard the voices, right young master Hennoth? Do you think that you might have an idea as to what happened here?

It seems as though one man became possessed and attacked his friend. Do you know of things like this ever happening before?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth stammers some when answering, people hearing and seeing things, acting all different, I remember Joe had to be held down when he was having a fit. Never seen someone killed over it though.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Ennybody feel up to tracking ther feller that scampered off?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by hedgeknight »

"I'm with ya, Salty," Graela says, leaving the filet knife beside the dead man. She takes a moment to wrap up the fresh venison, ties it off, and stuffs it in her pack.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I fear there is something foul in this wood. Yes,...let us be off. I want distance between myself and this place." He gives a sidelong glance to the corpse and anxiously waits to depart.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#47 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix studies the ground, trying to discern which direction these men were originally headed.

We can track that.........thing if you like, but we should take care that we don't eventually become the hunted. That man lying there dead gives me a serious concern.

I have no way to defend against possession such as that, do any of you?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter hefts the bundle of herbs he procured back in town. "I got faith this'll keep foul spirits abay. An' if'n any get in ye, I'll pop ther 'ole satchel in yer mouth and drive 'em right out!"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I am for continuing east. Let's stay on the trail of the men if at all possible. I do not care to tamper with spirits if we can avoid it."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by coil23 »

Continuing east through the woods it is not difficult to track the trampled brush and broken branches. You keep to this newly-made trail and follow the twisting way. This pell-mell path suddenly halts at another dead body, crumpled face down on the ground. Looking at the scene the immediate cause of death seems clear though it raises other questions. One leg is stretched out, its foot stuck in the crevice of a raised root. A large amount of blood is pooling out from under the body next to a hand holding the hilt of a sword, most of the blade is hidden underneath the body. It looks like when the man went down the blade went in and he bled out quickly.

The trees are thinning out here and you can see the hills are just ahead, very tall ones in this area. Rays from the late afternoon sun beat at your back through the branches. You likely have an hour, maybe two, before sunset.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter kneels down and begins searching the body. "Seems Justice be a mite swifter in these parts. That, or Doom is."

To his companions: "Shall we camp in ther wicked wood, ternight, or return ter th' outpost?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

The halfling reluctantly searches the corpse for any further clues as to what is occurring then adds, "I vote we camp either at the edge of the woods or at the top of one if these hills. I don't think we should return to the outpost. It might be safer, but it seems counterproductive. If we stay in the hills we might have a better view of possible enemies. If we elect to stay in this wood," Tip shudders "I think we should definitely stay on the outskirts, on the edge. As for keeping a fire, it has both benefits and drawbacks. I think the benefits outweigh the risks."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix shakes his head at the groups new find. He tries to discern if this man is the "friend" of the last dead man, or if he is someone new.

What happened here? Did this man trip and fall on his own sword? Or was it just made to look that way? Very disturbing!

I'm not sure I want to stay out here, anywhere! Finding dead bodies lying about everywhere is a bit disturbing. I hope this chittering creature that forces folk to put blades inside of them sleeps at night too.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by coil23 »

Rolling the body over you see that the sword is embedded in the man's thigh. It looks as if the femoral artery was severed and caused the man to bleed out. There is an empty sheath on the corpse's belt that is sized for a filet knife. Other items found are a short bow and 10 arrows, a whetstone, 5sp, a canvas sack, and a small carved wooden duck.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter examines the wooden duck. "Enny of ye mind if'n I pocket this? An' ther arrows? Shall we split ther silver pennies? S'one fer each. An' Hennoth, would ye mind sayin' yer words to pacify this'uns spirit?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Turning to Salt Peter, "Aye, as far as I'm concerned, they're yours. Perhaps the carving is more than just a trinket." Tip then looks at his silver piece, turning it over in his small hand. "They say silver deters haints and such. I hope in taking this man's silver it doesn't send him seeking us." He quickly adds it to his other monies without giving it any further thought. "Anyone mind if I take the whetstone? He needs it no longer." With that he asks, "Shall we press on?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth nods and kneels to place a hand on the man's should and sits quietly with head bowed for a few moments. He seems less disturbed by this corpse compared to the last one.

Ahead to the east it looks like a plume of smoke rising into the sky.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter crams the extra arrows in his quiver. Looking at the plume of smoke, he grunts, "Camp-spore. Ye wanna approach it ternight, or wait 'til mornin'? I could sneak up there quick as ye please."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Mant72 »

Hey Coil, how much daylight is left? Does it seem like we can reach the smoke before dark?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

If that filet knife fits snugly into this dead mans sheath, I would have to say that this here man is the last corpses companion.

That makes me wonder if the monster that possessed him jumped into a new host and then made this poor fool stab himself as well. Very disturbing business, to be sure.

The mage looks around on the ground for any tracks other than the ones that belong to us and this new corpse.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”