chapter 1- just arriving

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 1- just arriving

#161 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Well then, I suppose you will need a boost up there as well? He enjoys ribbing little Peter because he knows he can take it.

The mage stays uber aware as the gang travels through the woods. He tries to channel his magical insights to see if he can feel anything amiss in the area. He is very concerned about the stories he keeps hearing regarding witnessed magical oddities.

So Hennoth, do you want to tell us what happened that day, with the other kids, down by the river?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#162 Post by coil23 »

Ahead and to the right off the trail a ways you hear a voice, then another. The first one was fairly loud which is why it came through to you so clearly, the second was quieter but both sound irate. The sounds are perhaps thirty feet away from your party standing on the trail. You can't see anything at this point, trees and underbrush all around you with some open spaces here and there.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#163 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix quickly holds his hand up to the group behind and whispers to those in front of him.

Shhhhhh! Goblins are about!

Let's sneak up a little closer to see if we can spot them.

The mage immediately begins to reach for his sleeping spell components.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by Mant72 »

Tip draws his short sword, leaves off the main road, and creeps his way toward the voices.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter nocks an arrow, and inspects the area around them, expecting bandits from every direction. "Tip, howsabout ye poke yer nose up ahead an' see what's the fuss."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela crouches when she hears the goblin voices, her spear at the ready.
"Be careful and yell if you get into trouble," she hisses as Tip slips off to see what is going on.
She eases back to where the rest of the group waits and says,"Sounds like they were arguing about rabbits or some such."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth tenses and quietly draws his mace from his belt. Looking around warily he waits. The group on the trail peer around, not seeing any unusual movement so far. The animal noises have gotten quieter but not disappeared altogether.

Tip creeps off in the direction of the voices. Peering from behind some brush beside a tall tree Tip sees a small clearing from the southwest side, about 15 feet across. Four goblins are arrayed around the space. Two are facing each other, one gesturing angrily and seeming to scold the other. Another goblin sits on the ground nearby, bored and exasperated, holding a brace of dead rabbits. A fourth holds a short bow with arrow nocked, peering into the woods to the southeast.

Tip, please give me a dexterity check (d20), you may add the +1 initiative bonus to the roll.

Actions!

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by Mant72 »

Tip skulks closer to the large tree, trying to stay hidden in the thick underbrush. He grips his short sword tightly and moves forward to obtain a better view of the wretched creatures.
Dexterity Check (14): [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 UUUUGGHHH!!! :( Sorry, I should have listed -1, not +1 in the die roll. Doesn't matter anyway. He still failed miserably. ;)
Last edited by Mant72 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#169 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix walks a little further up the trail, hoping to come at the goblins from a different angle than Tip.

He tries to sneak up on them as well, thinking about the words of his magic spell.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by coil23 »

The goblin with bow at the ready cocks his head and gives a low hiss which immediately quiets the others. The two arguing goblins join the sentry at listening carefully and glancing around. The sitting goblin with the rabbits tenses slightly and hugs the dead rabbits closer to his chest.

Tip
My bad. Your bonus would be a -1...otherwise we'd have to call it a punishment, not a bonus. :D Not that that would have helped with the roll. Please give me another dexterity check with a -1.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter is eager to follow the others, but decides he'd better stay with the cargo. He motions for Hennoth to stay put, as well. Keeping his arrow nocked, he is on high alert for anyone who might use the commotion ahead as a distraction.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by Mant72 »

Dexterity Check (14): [1d20-1] = 12-1 = 11
Sorry if you guys were waiting for me. I didn't get an update on the game status. Don't know why because I'm subscribed. Again, my bad. :(

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#173 Post by coil23 »

None of the goblins notice the halfling watching them through the brush but they are on guard and skittish now. The creature who had been the loudest gestures to the others to head south and they begin creeping that way, still looking all around them. The two who had argued hold drawn short swords, the sentry still has a short bow, and the fourth still clutches the dead rabbits.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#174 Post by Mant72 »

Tip waits for the goblins to disappear into the woods and then creeps back to the others. He gestures for the group to keep their voices low and then whispers, "Goblins...there are four of them. One armed with a bow. The others held shorts swords. They made their way south. We must be wary as we proceed. We were lucky that they were squabbling loud enough so that we could hear them. Where there are four, there are more." Tip sheathes his sword, unslings his bow, and nocks an arrow before proceeding.
Last edited by Mant72 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela listens to Tip's report and says, "Chase 'em down or head on to the delivery point? Hate leaving nasty gobs behind us."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#176 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Perhaps we should take our good fortune and move along? Goblins are dimwitted creatures. They will usually run at the first sign of danger to them.

I agree with you Graela, I don't like having them around out here either. Perhaps we should make haste to this outpost and report our findings?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#177 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Yes, I agree with Travix. Lets us make for the outpost as quickly as possible. According to Unburr, it should not be too far away. I advise those of us with missile weapons to keep them at the ready. Goblins are a sneaky and cowardly sort, prone to attack those who are unaware."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Aye, on with ther job at hand."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by coil23 »

You resume your traveling along the trail, perhaps a little more somber and quiet than before. Sunlight filters through the leaves, that yellow orb still not quite midway across the sky. The trees thin a bit along a stretch of trail and you see fitful plumes of smoke in the sky ahead of you. Hennoth's brow furrows upon seeing the smoke. We should be there soon but that's too much smoke.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter sighs and crawls down from his perch. Returning his arrow to his quiver, he says, "My turn, then. If'n I whistle, come at flank speed, aye?"

Stepping off the road, Salt Peter proceeds with all the stealthy haste of a halfling highwayman. His plan is to approach the site of the smoke from the woods.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”