chapter 1- just arriving

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

chapter 1- just arriving

#1 Post by coil23 »

Your party is almost at the end of their trek working a stint as caravan guards. You joined up when the caravan emerged from the south gate of the Kings Pass and have traveled north and west since then through woods and grasslands, somewhat parallel to the North Spine as it rises in the distance to your right. Relatively mild spring weather has made camping outdoors almost pleasant.

This leg of the journey has been uneventful which is a relief for the caravan master, Agaren Saalamir, particularly in light of recent rumors coming down from the North Spine mountains in this area. Also because their destination is relatively new for this trade route. Ill tidings and anything novel are enough to make most merchants squirm. Talk in this area speaks of recent changes: warping of magic, creatures and even people being deranged and attacking folk, newly discovered veins of precious metals and minerals in this area around the same time as the strangeness. Around the fire at night, Agaren and some of the regular guards would relate stories they had heard of new races and monsters coming down from the mountains and of others fleeing those creatures, of strange collaboration between races that would have killed one another in the past. Though he can’t seem to help himself in sharing spooky stories of the region’s recent changes, Agaren flatly refuses to relate anything on the topic of why there is a new destination for this caravan.

Your destination is Goat’s Plum Crossing, a small town on the bank of the Dorseen River that flows down from the North Spine mountains. Through an arrangement with a merchant in the town, Agaren tells you to go see Unburr, proprietor of the Open Barrel trade goods store. Unburr will have your pay there which will be 25 gp each.
caravan camp
caravan camp
caravan camp.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 911 times

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 1- just arriving

#2 Post by coil23 »

As your caravan arrives at the edge of town Agaren Saalamir, the caravan master, comes to your group to bid you farewell.

Noble sirs, I thank you for your service. Though some of you be short in stature, you are all giants of gallantry! Pundits of pluck! Aficionados of…er, well thank you anyways. As this region gets more dangerous I always have use for gentlemen of your abilities. I am through here periodically if you are looking for work in the future. Please see Unburr at The Open Barrel right ahead of us. He will have your pay. I bid you good day, sirs. Bowing he takes his leave.

With that he goes back to directing others on the unloading and loading of items to and from storage buildings to your right. You are standing on the road of what seems to be the northeast edge of town. Several homes and farms have been passed up to this point but now buildings are closer together and stores predominate. People on the roads go about their business.

The sun is shining brightly overhead, the breeze light and sweet with spring. Ahead you see a sign proclaiming “The Open Barrel” with a picture of the same on it swinging in front of a two story building. Some of the caravan items are being carried in the front door. A river flows south behind the store.

Here is a map of Goat's Plum Crossing, just of the central town proper. This is also in maps forum.
Attachments
Goat's Plum Crossing map-resized.jpg
Goat's Plum Crossing map-resized.jpg (366.21 KiB) Viewed 877 times

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter
Barely reaching a grown man's knee, Salt Peter must be a halfling—what else is that short? That, or someone shaved a monkey and taught it how to lose badly at cards. He speaks with a sailor's accent and penchant for superstition.
Salt Peter hitches up his backpack and bow and looks around the town. "Let's get in there and collect our earnings before Saalamir can skip town on us. An' then let's spend that money like it was on fire!"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn.jpg
Graela Windborn.jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Graela Windborn sighs and rolls her eyes at the "gentlemen" comment, but is not surprised by the halfwit who leads the caravan. She is neither a man nor gentle. Dwarven women get no respect in this business. she reminds herself once again.
But she is glad this trip is at its end. The sign of the Open Barrel makes her realize how thirsty she is and she nods at the halfling and says, "I agree with ya on one point, Salty. Let's collect our coin and be quick about it. Then, the first round's on me!"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix finds himself in full agreement with his comrades on getting paid as quickly as possible.

Yes, yes. Let us indeed go and see this man with our money, my vertically challenged friends. The middle aged wizard was never much on vibrato but, hopefully the group knew that he meant well enough. The trail has left my throat as parched as.........well......something that is very dry. He hangs his head a bit for not thinking of something witty to add as he follows the others.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

Tip bends down and brushes the road's dust from the thick hair that grows on the tops of his feet. He quickly straightens at the sound of free libations, "Here, here, my good Graela. I most certainly shall take you up on your kind offer." He reaches out his small palm and pats the woman's shoulder. "Sorry about the oaf's oversight. Most larger folk misunderstand those of us of more diminutive stature." He quickly turns to Travix, "No offense my good man!" He beams a smile at the motley band and makes his way to The Open Barrel to collect his wages.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by coil23 »

As your group walks into the Open Barrel you see a tall, barrel-chested man loudly directing the porters walking in with caravan goods. This large front room has wares displayed, a long counter along the back wall, and the left wall is open to another area. Seeing your group his eyes light up and he strides towards you. Clapping Graela on the shoulder and almost knocking her off her feet he then grabs Tip's hand and begins shaking it vigorously.

You must be the fine company from Agaren's train! Pleased to meet you! Welcome to Goat's Plum Crossing!! The booming voice that seemed to be meant for directing all of the porters seems to just be his normal tone- a volume that you prefer to be a little further away. Come! Let me get you your money! You came so quickly you must be thirsty! With that statement he winks. Walking to a long counter and then back, he hands each of you a pouch of 25gp. You relax now, wash the trail dust off your tongue! Come back later and you can make another 25 each for making a delivery for me! Less than a day's work! And you get to pet a donkey! Think about it! You want a quiet drink and a place to sleep then the River Fork Inn is out the door and to your right! If you want a louder drink then the Prancing Nanny by the south bridge is where you want to go! And if you need any supplies? His hands spread wide before him. Why...the Barrel's Open!! With a booming laugh he begins barking out directions to porters again.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

After shaking the circulation back into his hand, Tip graciously accepts his payment from the bellowing man, and his ears perk up at the mention of the possibility of earning even more coin, "Thank you kindly, my good sir. What does this delivery job you speak of entail? Less than a day's work you say?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela takes the coin and secrets it away. Ignoring the overbearing man, she turns to her companions and says, 'Quiet or loud, my friends. Quiet or loud?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by coil23 »

Turning back to Tip he hollers, Yessir! Just a few hours east northeast of here in the woods is an outpost needs some of the goods that were delivered today! You can take my donkey Methuselah to carry it and just leave him there when you're done! Just so you know- he likes apples!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix opens his pouch and counts out the coins right in front of the man.

Not that I don't trust you, sir. It's just that, I don't really trust anybody.

After seeing the correct amount has been payed to him, the lanky mage smiles a toothy grin. He then thinks about the boredom of another delivery job but decides not to complain about it. It takes gold to build a tower, after all.

Very good then! I think we will take you up on another easy money job if you need us. But first, let's get that drink! It just so happens sir, that I like apples too! But usually in their liquid form of hard cider.

He looks around at the wares this place offers, looking for anything that might stand out from the rest. He is content to let the others decide on quiet or loud.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter hefts his payment before depositing deep in his backpack. "Who'da thought guardin' merchants'd be cushier'n robbin' 'em? Steadier pay, less fightin', an' y'don' gotta spend all day hunkered down under cowpatties 'cuz yer boss thinks that's th' best camy-flage.

"As fer drinkin', I'd say loud an' boisterous! I got some chanties in me that needs lettin' out."

Would folks mind giving a one-or-two sentence biography of their characters—the sorts of things they are likely to have learned or observed about one another while working the caravan?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by coil23 »

The big man ( known as Unburr you have gleaned by listening to the others talking) stops what he is doing to stare at Travix as he counts the coins, blinking a few times. Eventually he smiles and nods and then resumes his activities.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by hedgeknight »

Pulpatoon wrote:"As fer drinkin', I'd say loud an' boisterous! I got some chanties in me that needs lettin' out."[/dialog]
Would folks mind giving a one-or-two sentence biography of their characters—the sorts of things they are likely to have learned or observed about one another while working the caravan?
Graela groans inwardly and rolls her eyes at the thought of Salty hooping and hollering. "The Prancing Nanny it is then. But I'm warning ya, Salty > I'm not bailing yer drunk ass outta the stocks this time around. Hey Tip, Travis > ya coming with?"

Graela smiles at the excited halfling...just like she always does. She tries to be gruff, but a smile comes much easier. She sometimes has a sharp tongue if you cross her, almost as sharp as her spear, and can be a bit stubborn when she thinks she's right.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

"Mr. Unburr, sir, you have yourself a deal. You can put me down as a hired hand to help deliver the goods. Tip Briarberry's the name! As for now, I believe we have some drinks to tend to, and a nice shepherd's pie would go nicely as well. To the Prancing Nanny it is." Tip secures his payment and departs along with the others.
Short bio that the others would pick up on: Tip Briarberry has bright green eyes, curly auburn hair, and ruddy cheeks. Growing up on a farm, he has a deep affection for animals, and just as all halflings, he is fond of good food, good drink, and a good after dinner pipe. He seems to value, honesty, kindness, mirth, and manners.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by coil23 »

As you walk along the street a few people you pass nod a greeting, others just go about their business. An enormous building on your left has two wide, open doors and people coming and going. The back is walled off about 12 feet high. Following the directions given to you brings you to a large two-story building with a dusty gravel and dirt court in front. The sign confirms this is the Prancing Nanny, painted alongside the name is a goat dancing on its hind legs with a hat askew and smoking a cigarette.

Your party enters a large front room with tables scattered around. A fire burns in a wide hearth that spreads across part of the wall to your left while a staircase is ahead to your right leading up to a balcony that faces you overlooking the main floor. Through scattered groups of people laughing and talking at some of the tables you see a bar stretching across the back wall and smell what must be the kitchen behind it. A man and a woman behind the bar are serving people and wiping down the counter.

A largish woman who had been leaning on the balcony railing straightens up when you enter. She wipes her hands on her leather apron and calls out to you. Welcome, travelers! I'm Marge and this is the Prancing Nanny. You promise to have a good time and see that you behave yourselves and we'll take good care of you. Though I can see right off what it is you need- pancakes! Am I right? Laughing, she starts to walk off down a hallway, calling after her, you just sit where you like and they'll get your order.
Attachments
Prancing Nanny tavern-player's map-resize.jpg
Prancing Nanny tavern-player's map-resize.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 821 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn > Dwarf

"Did she say 'pancakes'?" Graela murmurs to Tip as she finds a table for the four of them. Her stomach growls hungrily at the thought, but she still wants something cold and hoppy to wash the trail grit from her throat.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

Tip responds to Graela with one corner of his mouth held awry, "Yes, she did say pancakes...I think it was a poor attempt at a jibe directed at our stature. You know, as in a 'short stack'." Tip smirks and takes the playful comment in stride. "Now, for more serious matters...Where are the servers? I need food and drink." He smiles a toothy grin, enjoying the boisterous atmosphere.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by coil23 »

A young woman comes to your table. Smiling, Good day to you. Just in from the caravan? I'm Turie. We have beer, ale, wine, some really nice mead. There's also water and fresh cider. If you're hungry I can get you trout or pork with bread, carrots, and dried apples. Meck makes some mean pancakes if you want that. Just got some cheese too.

Turie stands at your table and waits for your responses. Glancing around the group she seems to immediately become both shy and impressed when she realizes that there is a woman in your group. Taking in your dress and equipment, Are you all adventurers?

Around the room you see a few others from the caravan drinking , two gnomes deep in conversation, an elf sitting alone perusing a list, four men laughing boisterously, an intense group of two men and a woman playing cards, another group talking.

As the fire crackles in the background, some of the snatches of conversation that come to you in the room...

They're finding precious metal up there that makes Silverton look like a dried up hole in the ground!

Yeah, if it's just about the treasure then why are so many people fleeing south? Look what happened to Cool Water.

Already had Briar's March, now the caravan stop too? This place is gonna grow!

I saw it! That sapphire was as big as an ogre's heart! A companion sneeringly adds, more like a halfling's prostate.

Things were already getting too weird. And now we're a goblin magnet for some reason. I don't want this place to turn into Hiking Doglegg.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "D'ye got spirits? I'll take a bottle of yer cheapest."

His eyes are drawn to the woman playing cards—does he recognize the game?

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”