It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:57 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
Graela eyes the woman up and down and then looks around the fort as she listens for a reply to Travix and Tip. She beckons Salt Peter to come to her.
"Hey Salty...is it just me...or do you get a weird feeling about this attack? Why would other humans attack this fort? And why are the folks so...meh about it?"

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:17 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
She spits on the ground at the mention of goblins. They call me Mom and you shouldn't have run into anything between here and town. Something's up with the goblin presence in this area lately. We'll step up escorts to and from town but anything else right now...

She shakes her head in frustration. A man walks up to her side- flat, solemn, scar down the right side of his face- and whispers in Mom's ear while she nods.
She responds to him, once it's filled in we'll light it up at night until we find a more permanent solution.
Yes'm, from him and then his look lingers on your group before saying to her, why don't we ask them?

No, is Mom's response. We aren't bothering strangers with our problems.

Shaking Trvix's hand, Mom focuses back on your group. Diversion at the front gate while some come from under the back fence. We've never had such a brazen attack. Waves around her, this fence is usually just for keeping livestock in and critters out at night.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:31 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4100
Salt Peter nods in greeting to Mom, but doesn't extend a hand for shaking—it's always so awkward, making the great walloping bastards bend down far enough to reach his hand. All the blood rushes to their faces and they inevitably groan and grimace when straightening back up.

hedgeknight wrote:
"Hey Salty...is it just me...or do you get a weird feeling about this attack? Why would other humans attack this fort? And why are the folks so...meh about it?"


Pete, as a former pirate on the seas and highwayman on land, to say nothing of his late turn as a guard, is hardly surprised to hear about humans attacking their own kind. He whispers back to Graela, "Mos' natcheral thing inna world. Y'see ther other feller has somethin' ye want, and ye gather up enough mates until ye think ye kin take that thing. Question is, what's this backwoods outhouse got that anyone'd mount an attack ter git at it?"

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:06 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13921
Location: Packerland
Travix

Well then Mom. We are here now, are we not? Which means to me, that your problems are now our problems.

Why don't you tell us what you need before you simply wave off the fact that we can most likely help you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:11 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4100
Salt Peter grumbles, "If'n thar's a paycheck innit, y'mean."

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:44 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
Mom stares at your group, pondering, before responding.

I do have two groups out right now which means we are at a skeleton crew. Hunting this group down would help everyone. And they took something valuable we need back. It’s barely above trash to other folks but it is very valuable to us and I would pay big to get them back. But you gotta know these woods aren’t safe and I’m not sure what you’d be facing. You still feeling generous?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:24 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4100
Salt Peter: "We're takin' work, if'n that's yer question."

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13921
Location: Packerland
Travix nods yes while rubbing his hands together, waiting for the inevitable deadly part that is sure to come next.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip agrees with helping the fort out and inquires, "What was it the group took that you need back. Not trying to be intrusive or pry, just want to be aware of what we are seeking."

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
Graela listens and keeps her eyes on the goings on in the fort. She waits for Mom to tell her group what is really going on.

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:46 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
The bastards took the heirlooms and we need them back. They’re just inscribed bronze plaques we use with our messengers and expeditions. Their cash value to anyone else barely makes them worth hauling off at all. But their special properties make them priceless for us. The term “heirlooms” is something of an inside joke we use.

It has taken a lot of time and negotiation to establish these plaques as identification badges for runners. They now guarantee safe passage among all sorts of groups in this part of the Southron. We had been holding on to multiple plaques due to what’s been going on in the mountains. They have also been magicked to be able to authenticate messages carried by the runners. I doubt this scum know what these really are but losing them cripples us and if they get an idea then they could seriously abuse the safe passage privileges. The other things they stole I couldn’t care less right now.

I’m not keen on sharing all of this with a group of strangers I just met two minutes ago. But I’m pretty low on options and there’s something else. You may not realize it but you came with references so I’ll take a chance. That braying fool Unburr doesn’t matter but Silring…She has a keen eye for character and if she felt she could send Hennoth here with you, well, that’s something. What do you say, Hennoth, should I trust ‘em?


Hennoth nods solemnly and states, They shook my hand.

Mom looks around the group again. Of course, maybe my trust isn’t the only issue at hand. Like you, lass, her chin juts out toward Graela, you look like the skeptical sort.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:23 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
"Being skeptical keeps you alive, ma'am...er...Mom. And you're the second person who has said something is going on up in the mountains. Since you've told us about the stolen goods, what can you tell us about that?"

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:38 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip:

"Seeing that these "heirlooms" help garner safe passage through Southron, I am willing to help see to their retrieval, but just as Graela mentioned, I would also like to know more."

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:32 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13921
Location: Packerland
Travix continues nodding his head.

We did! He says in response to Hennoths comment.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:37 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
Mom nods thoughtfully to Graela’s statement. That it does…that it does.

You might have heard they are finding treasure up in the mountains lately, more than usual. You can imagine what word spreading on that is doing to our…tourism numbers. Thieves are moving in and power brokers are waiting for confirmation.

But there’s more than that. People are seeing strange things out there. Normally reliable folks are starting to crack up. And before you say anything- I know when my rangers are doing jimson weed, and they know better than to come tell me stories about it like it’s real. This is something more than recreational psychedelics. I had a spell caster come through here tell me that magic is changing too in this area. He had a scared look in his eye. I don’t know anything about all that and he wouldn’t say more. More than just money-hungry scavengers are coming around too. It’s like the weirdness is its own magnet. An increased goblin presence seems to be part of that. One of my rangers interrogated some goblins and heard some gibbering about bones- not sure if that’s anything yet.

So I’ve been tasked with “safening” up the wilderness around here, establishing communication lines, and other impossible shit. That’s all the more important if this increased wealth continues from the mountains with the population and trade it will bring. So, still glad you stopped by?


While Mom is talking, Hennoth, encouraged by Travix's enthusiasm on previous hand-shaking, cheerfully turns to the man to resume the activity with him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13921
Location: Packerland
Travix shows the lad a few new daps until the mention of jimson weed makes one of his eyebrows raise considerably. He listens intently to Mom talk about strange magicks, bones, and frightened wizards.

I for one am definitely still glad, Mom. Is there any place around here in particular that you think needs investigating first, or should we just head in the direction of the mountains?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4100
Salt Peter: "Aye, what's ther direction ye'd 'ave us steer t'wards, then? And, ahr... the matter of remuneration fer our efforts?"

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:19 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
I'll have Doth here, indicates the man with the facial scar standing near her, point you in the right direction. It sounds like they weren't headed toward the mountains last we saw.

A sly glance at the party, But I have a feeling you'll be taking yourselves toward the mountains soon enough whether or not anyone is asking you to.

I'm sorry I don't have enough crew to send with you but we have to get things straightened here and be on hand just in case they return. You have my thanks for taking this on. And, luckily, you'll have my generosity too if you pull this off. See, my crews find some interesting things out and about and we need those heirlooms back somethin' fierce. I have six black opals and they're yours if you can do this for me. Mom chuckles at Salt Peter, that work for remuneration?



Attachment:
black opals.jpg
black opals.jpg [ 22.28 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]


Meanwhile Hennoth appears to be straddling the fence between awed and spooked at Travix's magical dap maneuvers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:02 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip Briarberry:

Tip's eyes widen at the sight of the black opals, "Quite...beautiful! I am certainly up for taking on the task. Is there anything else you can tell us about the mountains and surrounding forest before we embark?"

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:29 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
Mom looks thoughtfully at Tip a moment before responding. Remember who you were before coming to this place and take care of one another.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group