chapter 1- just arriving

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 1- just arriving

#141 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix lets out a loud burp to show his gratitude for the fine meal and lodgings.

Do hold my room another night, my good man. I certainly hope we can get to the outpost and back in one day.

He double checks his meager possessions as he waits for the little ones to finish second breakfast.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela enters the common room, refreshed and ready for the trail. She pats Salty on the shoulder and takes a chair, ordering whatever he and Tip are eating. "Sausage smells good, innkeep. Does it have sage in it?" she asks. "Got any cold cider this morning?"
Once her breakfast is delivered, she tucks in, eating quietly and listening to her companions while watching the goings on of the inn and its patrons.

If anyone cares to notice, Graela smells like fresh soap, her hair is braided, her nails are smooth, and she appears to have no facial hair except for her neatly plucked eyebrows.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Excellent breakfast!" Tip calls out to the innkeeper as he wipes the crumbs from his mouth. "Yes, good Boudraine, I too would like to secure a room again for this evening. If all goes well, we will return shortly, and hopefully we will have need of you safety box in the near future. What do you say Salty? You up for sharing lodgings again?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter shrugs. "I'm happy with ther arrangements, but I reckon there's a good chance of us being blown off course before ev'ning. Shouldn't we wait 'n see where are at night b'for gettin' lodgin'?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by coil23 »

I'm pleased you liked the accommodations. I will hold the rooms for you until an hour after sunset. After that if I have takers I will rent them out but likely they will be here for you regardless.

Turning to Graela, If it didn't have sage, could we really call it sausage? Smiles. Cold cider at once.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#146 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix burps again and heads for the door.

We really should be going, gang!

A wizard, as you may know......is never late!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by coil23 »

Unburr seems delighted to see you upon your arrival at the Open Barrel. Good morning! You're right on time! Let me strap the crates on Methuselah and you're ready to go!

He hands over a small sack of apples, just remember to reward my boy once you get where you're going!

After a few more powerful slaps on the back and near-shouted pleasantries, everything is ready and the donkey stands patiently with four crates slung over his back.

While the sun is up it has not yet cleared the trees. It looks to be a bright day with only a few clouds, a little brisk this morning but will likely warm up nicely.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip thanks Unburr for the opportunity for work then goes to scratch Methuselah on the muzzle and between his ears, "Hi there, boy. You ready to go?" Tip turns to the others in the group, "Well, shall we be off? Looks to be a fine day for travel."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#149 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Ready when you are oh mighty leader! The mage jokes around with the Halfling.

Perhaps I better guard the donkeys apples until we arrive? I've witnessed your appetite little fella.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip smiles wide at Travix's quip, "Share and share alike! I always say."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter hitches up his pack and joins the brisk pace along the path. "R'member, it's bad luck ter look back when b'ginnin' a journey. Even if'n ye drop somethin' of value, jus' keep ahead an' replace it later."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth walks up to your group while still at the Open Barrel, grinning, and salutes for some reason.
SIlring said to come here so you don't get a late start. A look of worry flashes across his face, you aren't late, are you?

He has a pack over his shoulder and carries a walking stick. You see a mace at his belt and he wears leather armor with some metal plates in places of which he seems both proud and unaccustomed as he frequently readjusts it and glances down to admire the look.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Turning to Hennoth, "No, no, no, my good Hennoth! You are just on time. We were about to set off." Tip steps forward to shake his hand, "Glad to have you along!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#154 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Knowing full well that he hasn't dropped anything, Travix keeps his vision straight ahead for the first mile or so to appease his salty friend.

Tell us Hennoth, what kinds of journeys have you been involved with in your past? Have you seen anything strange happening around these parts that the others might not want to let us in on? What types of magic does Pelor provide you with?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by hedgeknight »

"Come along, Hennoth, you, me, and Travix can lead the way," Graela says, walking out in front of the mule. Her companions know she doesn't like horses or mules or donkeys or any such beast.
She keeps her spear cradled in her arm as she walks, watching the sides of the trail as they walk.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth shakes Tip's hand happily then goes to pet the donkey. These introductions done, he follows Graela's lead.

Starting off enthusiastically in response to the questions, I used to travel all over these woods, even the hills there and there, points in opposite directions, and the mountains!
Apprehension breaks through on his face as his voice falters. Then it started getting dangerous...different...I saw a fox running backwards , he shudders but then straightens his shoulders That's when SIlring said I need to stay close to keep the town safe. That's what I do. Nodding resolutely, and Pelor helps me. I can help people when they get hurt and make it light in the dark. And I can find stones for my sling too. He proudly pats a small bag at his belt.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela smiles as the simpleton explains things. "A fox running backwards? That must have been a sight, eh?"
She never takes her eyes off the sides of the road as they walk.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by coil23 »

You set off on the trail, the sun just cresting the trees before you. The trees are scattered at first with mostly open ground around the trail but they begin to thicken until you enter the density of the woods. Sounds of birdsong and scampering squirrels in the branches above your heads and a slight breeze of spring air in your faces, you continue deeper into the woods.

The trail looks well-traveled though only wide enough for single file persons or pack animals. Methuselah plods along obediently, his only sounds the clopping of hooves and the occasional light creaking of wood with the shifting crates he carries.

It was scary, Hennoth mutters to Graela's query.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip finds Hennoth's account of the fox disturbing and unnatural. Even though the day seems bright and cheerful, he grows silent and pensive as the group makes their way through the forest. To bolster his spirits, he reaches into Methuselah's bag of apples and retrieves one of the ripened fruits to give to the old mule.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter complains that he can't see anything from his position on the road, and wonders if anyone would object to his perching atop Methuselah's crate. "I don' weigh but a zephyr, and from thar I'd espy trouble."

As a former highwayman, Pete is extremely paranoid about ambush, and points out how each feature of the landscape could be used to conceal a bandit. "Arr, thar's a ditch. Could hide a parcel of 'em in thar. An'd that pile o' leaves. Ye wunnunt think a body could fit in there, but I could do it, and there's smaller folks'n me. Oh! An' what could be a sweeter spot to recline 'n await yer prey than that fallen log, yonder?"

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”