chapter 4- back to the wilderness

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 4- back to the wilderness

#301 Post by coil23 »

Silring holds a steady stare for a long moment (something like how Salt Peter might give a donkey an appraising look) as if to see if you are telling a joke. A small smile appears. More and more of the old lines, the old rules, are melting and moving. It feels like sides are being chosen, just in ways that have been unimaginable in the past. And chosen for what? That is what frightens me most. A sheepish look fleets across her face. I'm not supposed to know this but...I believe there are some hobgoblin tribes that are starting to work with humans to protect these lands while others are still the same pillaging tribes we've always known. Who can explain that? Even more strange is rumors of even more chaotic ones starting to split off from their usual predations up north and forge new alliances. In this time of flux, we must find new ways to identify who is friend and who is foe. I fear the confusion is only beginning.

The worry eases a little from her face then, but goblins? Goblins seem to still be the simple folk as before. I've had more dealings with them in these woods as compared to the more dangerous tribes and creatures. Goblins act from fear, envy, and impulse. But that makes them poor at concerted efforts. They don't seem able to maintain the ruse for long. This one you describe sounds like a freakish accident. If this is a ruse, it shouldn't take long for the cracks to show.

More of a professional interest perks up at the last topic. What makes you think these dice are magical?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#302 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix spits out and coughs audibly when Tip reveals his secret. Staring menacingly down his long nose at the halfling, a slow smirk begins to appear on his face.

You halflings are so different in your similarities. I think we should appoint you the groups treasurer, Master Tip, since you can't seem to control your honesty.

He turns the focus back to the original question before addressing Silrings.

Is it ok to have the goblin here? Out in plain sight? I assure you that it is no ruse but, we also don't want to upset anyone.

I miss the company of our tiny friend, Salt. He should be here for these discussions as well.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#303 Post by coil23 »

Silring responds to the question of Flower. There would be some who might "react" to the goblin if out in the open. Some would not mind but that is more of a thing one would see and not bat an eye in Hiking Doglegg. Here there is some risk. You may bring the creature here and I will house him for the time being if you wish. I think that might be more secure than having him wandering the woods.

She senses the awkwardness of the exchange between magician and halfling and quickly tries to change the subject. Your finds and your possessions are no concern of mine. I did not mean to pry. Here, she ushers you to sit down while she begins fetching food and drink, you must be tired after your adventure. If you would rather your meal be at the Inn that is fine too.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#304 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix hollers out for Salt and Mallet to join them.

"No disrespect intended to you Silring. I was just making a joke at Tips expense. We would be happy to dine with you and tell you everything we know. It was you who started us on this journey, after all."

He takes out all three dice and happily shows them to her.

"Do you know much about magic of this nature? We heard noises after I rolled them the first time, but I have no idea why."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#305 Post by Mant72 »

Tip rubs his toe on unseen spot on the floor in embarrassment. He never did know when to keep his mouth shut. When he understands that Travix is simply making a jibe, he looks up with a smile. "Did someone mention food?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#306 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth bustles in the front door with arms full. He sets down an open crate full of food, much of it hot. In his other arm is a small keg. Breathlessly the boy explains, I forgot his name so I said 'short' and 'loud' and Boudraine knew just who I meant. Puzzled, he continues, and then he got all excited and gave it to me for real cheap when I said I needed to take it with me 'cause he wouldn't be eating at the Inn. Hennoth shrugs, done with that mystery, and he hands coins back to Silring. He then goes to get himself some food from a shelf.

Silring nods, a faint smile on her face. She ensures everyone has something to eat and drink and leaves the recently arrived items in place for the incoming Salt Peter. She examines the dice intently for a few minutes, finally scoots one away from the rest. That one is certainly just a normal die. These other two...What those images do to the eyes...something is going on there but I'm not sure what. I wish I could help more. No one in town at the moment that I know and think could help on telling you more. She shrugs, there are more and more strangers in town and some of them practitioners of the arcane. You could seek one of them out but be careful. I hear whispers there are agents now among all these newcomers. Different factions seeking information. And there are always the looters, looking for advantage. Not sure who to trust these days. She looks back at the dice for a few moments. Some of these symbols suggest, she shakes her head as if trying to find a clear message or a clear way to describe it, it's like trying to steer the winds during a storm but never knowing what the results will be. 'During the storm' seems key here. These don't seem meant for idle games of chance but rather during the storm, when you're in the thick of it. She looks up, sorry I can't be more help.

Silring offers an update on your map fragment discovery. You already have the copied piece of that first map fragment and Herr Tolmeen is still working on the original. He thinks one missing fragment will be found to the north and one to the west but is still deciphering the details to give you direction on how to pursue those. I'll let you know when he has more. What are your plans from here?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, upon hearing the call, unties the donkeys and leads them closer to the house, where he retires them. "Heave to, Goblin!" he says, drawing Flower Mallet out of the woods.

Entering the house, he grins broadly at the provisions. "Aye, now thar's a fine bucket o' grub!" He applies himself with gusto to the salted ham, barely pausing long enough to bite the cork out of a bottle of spirits.

"We should let ther book feller know that ther map-piece is more dang'rous than 'e mighta bargained fer, and that we'll be needin' it back in any case, and we got gold ter cover it. An' I 'ope we kin do it in sucher way as 'e'll still wanner give us bearings on whar ter go ter find ther rest o' ther map."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

When the nature of the dice are explained, the dwarf fighter breathes, "during the storm" and then clears her throat. "Would you mind...if I held onto those dice?" she looks around at her companions. "Might be I have a connection to them somehow."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#309 Post by coil23 »

Silring watches the goblin thoughtfully when Flower Mallet enters. She gestures for him to get some food and then goes about making sure everyone is tended to, her eyes returning to ponder the goblin periodically.

The goblin enters tentatively, expecting to be chased out at an moment. He meekly gets a small portion of food once being encouraged and then retreats to a corner to sit on the floor and eat quietly, watchful of all around him.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix smiles at the goblins tentative actions.

See! He is as docile as a flower. I was pretty shocked to see it myself.

After a few more bites and sips, the mage answers Silring.

Mallet has agreed to take us to this so called Bone king's lair. I think we will find more answers there, although it sounds like quite a dangerous place if you go by the description of our new guide.

Do you know anything about this monster or his hideout, gracious host? The goblin says it is to the south?

He hands the dice to the dwarf and takes out the scroll case that they were found in.

Could you have a look at this as long as you are at it, Silring? It seems important, yet I am not sure how.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#311 Post by Mant72 »

Tip thanks Hennoth and Silring for the hospitality and helps himself to rather large portions of the victuals. He takes a seat at the table with the others and adds, "Yes, Madame Silring. Any information about where we are venturing would be greatly appreciated."

He continues to thoroughly enjoy the meal.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#312 Post by coil23 »

Silring thinks before responding, I know nothing of a hideout, just that the Bone King seems to come from the southeast. His magic is foul, an affront to nature. So far as we know, only goblins have been sent this far to do his bidding but people fear worse is to come. I think it is seeking whatever is going on in the mountains. We know so little but I am certain if the Bone King connected with that... She shivers and trails off.

And I've said this before but take care when traveling in the woods. The further from town, the more the danger. One bit of good news, she gets up to go to a cupboard and returns with something wrapped in cloth. I finished the first candle. She unwraps the cloth and sets it on the table near Salt Peter (but not between him and his food). It looks like a plain, dull ivory-colored wax candle. This may be used five times before it is spent and it will provide illumination for you only, she tells Salt Peter. Each use may be up to an hour but whether it is an hour or a second of use-that will have spent one of the uses. I hope it can help you in your tasks. Looking over at Travix, I will let you know when I have finished yours.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, mouth overstuffed with food, picks up the candle. His eyes are wide with wonder. He sticks the candle right under his nose and sniffs deeply. The he shrugs and sticks the magic candle in a vest pocket. "Thank ye kindly, ma'am."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela tucks the dice away and finishes eating while the others talk.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#315 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

"Thank you kindly indeed, Silring! Those will most certainly come in handy during our travels.

It seems that it is settled then. Let's take care of any business while we are in town here and then get some good rest. We can head out to find this bone king at first light.

May we retain the services of your young priest as well? Would you like to help us eliminate this boney thug young master Hennoth?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, speaking around a ham hock: "I'm be of a mind ter keep ther dogs an' donkeys, too, if'n we kin arrange it. Whattyer think?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#317 Post by coil23 »

You can see the fear in the boy's eyes but, after a quick glance at Silring, Hennoth nods solemnly to the request for him coming along. I'll sleep here tonight, he adds quietly.

To Salt Peter's comment Silring responds, I don't think there will be any problem with you keeping the donkeys and dogs with you for now. I believe the intention was for you to use them until you were done and not to have to renegotiate between each stop to town. I will pass word to Applejack on the matter. All of you just do what you need to do and get some rest. You are doing a brave thing.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#318 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"As always, thank you for your hospitality, Madame Silring." Tip finishes his meal and tidies up by collecting the plates and cutlery. He then fills his pipe to have an after meal smoke and passes his pouch around to share with the others. He steps outside to enjoy his pipe on the stoop and awaits the others.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#319 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

We will continue to use your services as well, Madam. Now that we have some gold to spend, I would like to restock my supplies of spell components and traveling herbs, at your convenience, of course.

We will leave the animals here with you, in the boys care. We will see to our business, then spend the night at the inn. We will reconvene here in the morning and travel to the southeast to search for this Boney bastard. I suppose Flower Mallet will have to stay here until then as well, if that is ok with you.

If you can think of anything else that will aid us on our mission before then, any help you offer would be greatly appreciated. I lack the magical skills to eliminate large groups of enemy creatures all at once. Any ideas along those lines would be very helpful to us.

The mage cleans up after himself and joins Tip for a smoke.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Pulpatoon »

You are doing a brave thing.
Salt Peter winces at the words. "'Tain't no fault o' mine! I been led astray by ther perny-shuss influence o' me peers."

Knocking back another slug of eye-watering booze, he hikes up his trousers and prepares to go see a man about a map. "Ennybody wanner come along?"

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”