chapter 2 - heirlooms

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 2 - heirlooms

#221 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela shrugs and watches the hobgoblins leave, even the "hidden" crossbowman. After they are gone, she eats another bowl of soup while waiting for her companions to check out the bandits stuff.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Pulpatoon »

After the hobgoblins depart, Salt Peter laughs. "Ye mus' be used ter some mighty fine company, if'n yer gonna get yer noses all bent outta shape 'bout treatin' wi' hobgoblins. Onna Confederacy ship, ye find all kinds, cheek ter jowl ter tusk. They might as be brutal and crude and vi'lent, and they might as think you look like Sundy-roast, but tha' don' mean ye can't work wi' 'em."

So, did the hobgoblins kill all the prisoners? And Criscor was mentioned as having gone either up- or downstairs, right? So he is alive and possibly present, and probably more dangerous than the other bandits, right?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by hedgeknight »

"If we ever visit my homeland, I'll let you tell that fairy tale story to my clan leaders. See if you get through the tale with all yer teeth! The Hobs are evil and organized and they attack swiftly and surely. Damn near wiped out my cousin's clan a few years back. I trust them about as much as I trust Orcs and Goblins."
She spits on the ground, trying to get the sour taste of the names of her bitter enemies out of her mouth.

"Now, what are we gonna do with the prisoners? Kill 'em or let 'em go?"
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Well, I admit ter bein' flabbergasted ther hobgolins dinnint off'em all. Ain't inclined ter do their dirty work for 'em, but can't say as I feel like draggin' back ter Mom, neether.

"F'r now, let's leave where they are, and see what we can get outta this here Criscor, feller."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

The two of you make your way down the hallway to a spiral staircase in the front right corner of the fort. (7)
Making your way up the stairs in darkness you come to the top of the stairs. (15) You see a hallway to your left and another to your right. This area is obviously seldom used, though the dust is disturbed in both directions it is still plentiful. One lone lit torch is down each hallway, casting dim light.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#226 Post by Mant72 »

Tip looks up at Travix, points down the left hall, and questioningly raises an eyebrow.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#227 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix makes sure the hobos are gone and that the living prisoners are still tightly bound so as not to escape.

He accompanies the others up the stairs and suggests checking the left hallway first as Tip siad.

Lets see what ol' Criscor was doing up here and then we can go and question him ourselves.

Please remember good dwarf, there are strange happenings going on magically out in the wild. We might yet see more things that we don't believe other than just cordial, wellspoken monsters. We should put our differences behind us until we get some things figured out here.

We have one of the three plaques, lets go find the others, shall we?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela eats another bowl of soup, hoping to get a few chunks of meat in this one. As she eats, she walks over to the one named Criscor. "Tell me, Criscor is it? Tell me, Criscor, why did you and your friends take the plaques from the fort? Who are you working for?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

Choosing the left hand hallway, the two of you walk until you stand before a doorway on your right. The torch light illuminates a little ways in, enough to see some old crates and a sagging cot standing on only three intact legs. There is some disturbance of the dust in the doorway and the floor of the room that is visible. Ahead of you about 30 feet further down the hall the floor turns to rubble and then disappears altogether and open space is beyond. The second floor ends here evidently.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#230 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

With curiosity prevailing, Tip cautiously enters the dust covered room. He examines the crates, looking for any words or markings that may reveal their contents. He then unsheathes one of his daggers and proceeds to pry one of the box lids open.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#231 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix aids his little friend in the search of the crate.

He tries to determine if there are any more clues as to what is going on in here by taking a closer look at the disturbance in the dust on the floor or anything else that looks to have been moved recently.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#232 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

The crates are nondescript, no outer markings to suggest origin. Prying one open reveals some common goods: bolts of cloth, wooden dishes, a few carpenter tools, a sheaf of parchment paper, three lanterns.

The room looks like it may have been a dormitory in the past, several cots in various states of disrepair along the walls, a table and a few broken chairs further in are visible in the lit portion of the room and then darkness beyond. The disturbed dust does not seem to go very far into the room and, on examination, looks like it was made from people transporting the crates to this area. Nothing else seems to have been disturbed.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#233 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip makes his way back out into the hall that led to this room and removes the lit torch from the wall. Carrying the torch, he goes back into the room so that he and Travix may explore the darkened areas.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#234 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Never being much of a sneak, Travix follows the lead of Tip.

Doesn't look like much was happening up here, but we heard more than one report of Criscor coming up here so, lets give the place a good look over and then get back to the others.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

The torch illuminating the whole room as you walk around it, you see more of the decrepit cots, a few smashed chests, another table with broken chairs. The dust on the floor seems undisturbed except for the area near the entrance where the crates were.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip looks up at Travix, "Doesn't look to be much here. There is still the other hall to check. Shall we go have a look there, and then go back down to the others?”

Tip checks around for secret doors before departing the room.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter to Graela: "Let's see what this'un 'as ter say." Walking over to Criscor, he begins to loosen the gag and remove the sack. "Keep yer weapon drawn and yer eyes peeled, Graeler."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#238 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix continues to follow the lead of his halfling friend.

I don't see much of anything up here.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by hedgeknight »

Holding her spear near the throat of Criscor, Graela waits for Salty to remove the man's hood. If he so much as flinches or reacts in what she perceives to be a threatening manner, she will drive her spear as far as she can into his body!
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter says, as he's pulling up the sack, "Criscor, me boy, ye want ter study yer circumstance real close now. Me dwarf friend 'ere has 'er 'umors inna boil onna account of not gettin' ter see ther insides of those hobgolins. I reckon that she's willin' ter accept yours as a poor substitute.

"Now, we 'ear you've poked yer nose around abit. Maybe ye've stashed some of ther choicest loot. An' thas fine by me. I admire yer prudence, and wouldn't begrudge ye a nest-egg. But ye've 'eard what we're looking fer, and not we'll leave 'til we've found 'em. So, ther question is, what sorta shape d'ye wanna be in when go? A little sore from a rough night in ther floor? Or skewered by a dwarf wi' blood in 'er eyes?"

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”