Chapter 7: Beyond Burial

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: Beyond Burial

#101 Post by ravenn4544 »

Wil"Rest easy master dwarf! You've had a hard go of it. We'll be in need of your abilities before long, I'm sure!"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abijah marvels at the effects of the healing potion. Observing Kragg's recovery, he notes, "Still hurt. Still need rest." Looking around he adds, "Most hurt. All need rest."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Mant72 »

Morris responds Abijah's query, "The dead man was Yon, follower of Light and our only priest."

Again, the morose magician looks about with uncertainty, "I would suggest we barricade that burned-out doorway. Then again, it may bar our only means of escape...Any other suggestions?"

Morris licks his lips anxiously and looks to the others for a response.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Storm11 »

Hexalon welcomes the pair back to consciousness at least. "We thought we had lost you there yes indeedy. The gnolls are either cremated or fled, for now so they are yes yes yes!! The others are right, you need a safe place to rest, any suggestions hmmmmm?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#105 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "Aye alright I'll rest but can i rest somewhere other than the floor? I know a dwarf is born of the stone but this is killin me back."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by coil23 »

Osprey weakly raises his head and looks around. So the gnolls are gone for now. You all must have fought fiercely. Where are we? The elf lowers his head back down and closes his eyes. I just woke and already feel I need to sleep again. Are we safe for now wherever this is?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ravenn4544 »

Are we all in room 14 now?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Mant72 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Are we all in room 14 now?
Yes.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abijah inquires: "You know way out? We rest away from here? Food and bed?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Mant72 »

Pulpatoon wrote:Abijah inquires: "You know way out? We rest away from here? Food and bed?"
Morris replies, "Aye, I know a place where we can find food and rest... Silington. Returning there might be our best option for survival, but we can't be sure the gnolls aren't still prowling the grounds above. Any suggestions?" He turns to the others for answers.

GreyWolfVT

#111 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "Well we have a mission here still we're supposed to locate the staff and return it. So if we leave here we have to return to complete what we swore to do."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Storm11 »

Hex coughs and clears his throat. "I believe there are several secret defensible areas on the floor up above yes yes. As I mentioned before. If we hole up in one of these and tend to our wounded and prepare our magic we can potentially make forays out to check out various found edifices with our combined magical knowledge and then retiring to our hide out to recover, letting those who have been near death rest and recover their injuries. It may take a week perhaps before we are ready to continue, but better that than to carry on and lose more of our company yes yes. Apart from the gnolls we haven't encountered much life within the monastery that moves about, and if we hide behind a secret door chances are not many may know of the spaces existence, hmmmm? What day you all. Let us retract above and make a camp." the rainbow hued halfling waits to see what the others think or if they have other suggestions.
Greys Campaign.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by coil23 »

Osprey weakly adds, As much as I would like to recuperate somewhere safer and more comfortable than here I think Hex is right. We are in more danger out in the open and will have to fight our way out and then back in. I remember how dangerous the forest was at night. And coming back they will likely be expecting us and prepare. Better to hole up somewhere defensible and still explore as we can. From some of the visions I keep wondering if the darkness in this place is building up to something. When that fully blooms we may very well be powerless to fight it. Best we keep at it without more lost time than necessary.
Last edited by coil23 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Hex speaks sense. We've had a tough go of it. I agree that we can't in good conscience return empty handed with our quest unfulfilled. Let's stick together in our forays, however, as we'll need to rely on each other for safety. Lead on, Master Hex."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Storm11 »

Area 9, the blocked passageway off area 8 and area 7 all didn't have a way out and one defensible door entering the place I think on the floor above.
Greys Campaign.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by Mant72 »

Storm11 wrote:Area 9, the blocked passageway off area 8 and area 7 all didn't have a way out and one defensible door entering the place I think on the floor above.
Yes, Storm, you are correct. Area 8 is the vestry and 9 is the storage room. There is a blocked passageway to the north of the vestry (room 8).

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks!

Map: viewtopic.php?f=337&t=5364&p=302463#p302463

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by Mant72 »

Morris Grumm nods curtly at the plan to hole up within the catacombs and adds, "I know not of the areas you speak. My party did not explore them, but if this is the consensus, then let us be about it."

He whispers something inaudible to the red-tailed hawk perched upon his shoulder. The predatory bird emits a high-pitched screech, wheels once about the chamber, and speeds off through the burned out remains of the door leading back up to the first level of the catacombs.

The group follows suite, ascending the stairs that lead into the chapel where they encountered the living-statue (area 6). Pieces of the once animated statuary still litter the floor, reminding the party of the perils that plague this place.

The adventurers cautiously continue on, making their way back through the antechamber (area 5) and finally into the vestry (area 8).

Other than tracks and a few blood stains, no other trace of the dog men is found.

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Storm11 »

Hex will move to examine both the blocked staircase and the chamber beside it, checking thourghly for secret or hidden exits.

He will look to see which looks like it can be made more comfortable, and then when everyone is at the end, use the hem of his robe to dust off any tracks they may have made to from the descending stairs to the places they choose to rest, hoping to obscure any trace of where they have gone themselves.
Greys Campaign.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by coil23 »

Osprey nods approvingly at Hex's attention to erasing traces of their passage before the elf could even suggest it. With companions like these, we may survive after all, the elf thinks with a small mote of optimism. Look after us, Luna, as we seek to restore your sanctum from the evil pollutant that resides. What began as an idle thought turns into a prayer to Luna, the elf is surprised to realize. Memories of his people's rituals done under the bathing light of the moon appear in his mind. The thanks given, the ushering in of seasons, the honoring of ones passing into this world and of those passing out of it, the seeking of guidance from without and from within. All of his culture's activities done under the light of the moon and in reverence of it. Perhaps I am not such a stranger to this faith as I carelessly thought at the beginning. Balbinus would smile and say I just became a tiny bit less stupid in this moment is the elf's next thought. A smile at that.

Once the group settles, the elf will make himself as comfortable as possible to rest but position himself to have a clear line of fire at the door and leave his bow and arrows within easy reach.

The elf suggests some sort of alarm system while the group recuperates in addition to a sentry at times. Gravel or something crunchy scattered all over the floor in the antechamber between 5 and 8 could alert the group of someone's approach. Cracking the door from 8 to the antechamber could allow that noise plus something to be perched at the top of the slightly open door so that if it were opened then the object would fall and crash to the floor sounding an alarm to the group as well.

Are we holing up in room 8 or closet 9?

GreyWolfVT

#120 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg in his current state remains silent and just follows the party.

Return to “The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)”