Chapter 1: The Hamlet of Silington

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 1: The Hamlet of Silington

#61 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Storm11 wrote:Hexalon nods in agreement wide eyed and volunteers to go also.

A puzzled frown crosses his face. "It is said you are powerful, and there must surely be more powerful clerics amongst your staff. If it's so dire that your order needs this relic, why trust it to a bunch of green adventures and not send your more able and seasoned servants to retrieve it?" the halfling asks innocently.
Kragg "That's easy to answer Hexalon their duty is to the church they have many things to tend to and cannot just all vanish off on some adventure."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Storm11 »

Hex Well surely that, but if the end is nigh there won't BE any duties. If it's so dire it makes sense to send the best you have. No?" the halfling shrugs in confusion

"If it was me I would send someone capable and powerful along with the meat shields to insure the chances are good success is the outcome!"
Greys Campaign.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Mant72 »

Storm11 wrote:Hexalon A puzzled frown crosses his face. "It is said you are powerful, and there must surely be more powerful clerics amongst your staff. If it's so dire that your order needs this relic, why trust it to a bunch of green adventures and not send your more able and seasoned servants to retrieve it?" the halfling asks innocently.
Father Halbrick smiles weakly at the halfling, "Such inquisitive minds...certainly one of the reasons you were selected to undertake this journey. Alas, we that follow the path of Lunia are now but a few in number, and our order wanes like the moon itself. There is also the matter that we lack certain skills necessary to make this undertaking a success. For example, access to arcane magicks,” he looks to Hexalon and Osprey “martial prowess, skill at arms, brute strength,” he looks at Aric, Yon, and Wil “and let’s not forget agility and dexterity required for… certain covert tasks.” he turns his gaze to Kragg.

He recovers from yet another coughing spell, “If you locate the Crook of St. Othin, you will recognize it as an object of immense beauty. It is made of heavy gold, intricately designed, and decorated with turquoise. The shaft of the crook is pure ivory, and its pommel is set with a brilliant moonstone; however, what is more important than its exquisite beauty, are the ancient and powerful magicks it possesses. To answer your question Master Osprey,” he feebly turns his head to the elf, “there are those in this world who would seek to manipulate the crook’s divine energies to control and subjugate others. The cult of Sai’reth is one such group; if the crook were to fall into the hands of their followers, the ramifications would be paramount. The crook must be recovered before malevolent forces claim it as their own.”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by ravenn4544 »

Brother Wil considers the discussion for a few moments. Clearly there is a path to be taken here in righting a wrong - and preventing a future one - if this device is indeed what it is claimed to be. No evidence to the contrary appears to hidden beneath the words of the clergyman.

"This endeavor seems just and I will agree to undertake it. Curiously, what do we have to offer that is greater than the group that was sent already? I would like to prevent a path of futility if we are but a reflection of those that came before?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Storm11 »

Hex"Where was it last seen within the monestary your holyimblship? Did the guardian monks keep it somewhere secret and safe? Hmmm a secret compartment, a dungeon maze, Oo Oo a transdimensional Demi-plane?" The multi-coloured halfling asks excitedly.

"Can we use it at all to defend ourselves once we find it? Does it have a command word?yes yes indeedy. I don't suppose you have any idea of what lairs within the ruins now do you?"
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#66 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg chuckles at the enthusiastic halfling "Gotta love the hairfoot's enthusiasm. I've got more than dexterity and all that I may be a thief meself but I am also a proud dwarf warrior. Let us know all the important details you can manage Father, as it could be dire for us to know firsthand before we rush into the ruins."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Mant72 »

Father Halbrick responds to the pious monk, “Your group exceeds the previous group by two in number, and your skills are much more diverse in range. Not receiving word from the other party concerns me deeply, for we must have underestimated the trials and tribulations the journey has to offer."

The ailing Father attempts to keep up with the barrage of questions hurled by the loquacious halfling, "We know not what lies within those ruins. I visited the place but once when I was just a young acolyte, and it was a place of peace and goodness then. From what is rumored, it is much different now.

I only know that the crypts are located somewhere below the monastery grounds, and it is here within these catacombs that you will find the crook. As I mentioned previously, it was last known to be entombed with St. Othin himself; however, I do not know the way into the crypts, for that is a secret that died long ago with the priests and priestesses of the monastery.

As for using the crook, it is imperative that you refrain. Anyone attempting to do so, other than a high priest or priestess of Lunai, would be an act of sacrilege. That brings me to this.”
He gestures to one of the attending priests who then walks over to a small wardrobe and retrieves an ebony box.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 683 times
The young priest opens the box and reverently hands it over to Father Halbrick. Within the box there are a pair of black leather gloves with metal plates attached to the palms and fingertips. “Prior to touching the crook, these gloves must be worn to ensure your safety and to maintain the sanctity of the artifact. Heed my warning; do not touch the crook with your bare hands, and under no circumstances should you attempt to use it.” With trembling hands, Father Halbrick offers the box containing the gloves to another one of the acolytes sitting nearby.

He then proceeds to introduce the group to the young acolyte, “This is Luna, one of our promising young disciples who will be accompanying you along your way. Brothers Favin and Duran will also be joining you until you reach the monastery gates. Favin and Duran will then return to the Church of Lunia with the horses that we will be loaning you for your journey.

The father looks extremely weary and frail as he concludes, “There is one more thing of importance that you must be made aware of before your departure; you must enter the grounds of the monastery on the night of the full moon, which is two nights from now. The night of the full moon is a holy night for Lunia, and by entering the monastery at this time you will gain her favor, which may very well be your only salvation.”

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Grognardsw »

Aric, barbarian

"Aye, the reward sounds right," says the mercenary. He is glad a description was given, for the northern warrior didn't know just what a crook was.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#69 Post by jdluna »

Luna - Cleric

We met all. I thank you for assisting us with this quest. By capturing the crook, we may be able to thwart doom and restore the monastery to the light of Lunia.

GreyWolfVT

#70 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg unsure how to phrase this but just comes out and says what is on his mind must be something about all these religious folk around but he feels compelled to be honest "Reward is good and just so you know if we find anything aside from the crook some of us intend to keep what we locate in the place. Hopefully this does not dissuade you in any way."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Mant72 »

Father Halbrick:

"The crook is all that we seek. All else that remains on the grounds has been corrupted in the eyes of Lunia. You are free to claim anything else you deem of value that might be found."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by coil23 »

Osprey Palearctic, elven fighter/magic-user

We will enter the grounds on the night of the full moon as you directed.

Glancing at the acolyte, Luna, and then back to Father Halbrick, Can she hold her own or is just along as an observer?

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#73 Post by jdluna »

Luna laughs at Osprey's comment.

We can go out into the courtyard and "she" can "observe" you pick your butt up out of the dirt.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by coil23 »

Smiling, Osprey nods at Luna and considers the matter closed.

GreyWolfVT

#75 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg laughs "Spunk Luna you've got that in mass quantities."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Mant72 »

Brother Favin:

Favin tries intervene before tempers flare further between Osprey and Luna, "Peace! We shall not behave this way before The Father!" He lowers his voice and tries to rationalize between the two, "Brother Luna, I am sure that Master Osprey meant no offense. Now let us think about the task at hand and understand that we are now working as one for the House of Lunia."

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#77 Post by jdluna »

Luna- Cleric

Forgive me Brother, pride got the best of me. Apologies Osprey

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Mant72 »

Brother Favin:

Turning to Luna, Favin gently places his hands on his fellow priest's shoulders and whispers, "All is well, Brother. I know we are all under duress, but I know this group will prove their merit. We must keep level heads, and follow the moonlight path." He then faces Father Halbrick, "Forgive us in our folly, Father."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by coil23 »

No harm done. Does anyone have any other questions?

GreyWolfVT

#80 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "Just one any idea what kinds of traps or creatures we may encounter in the ruins? Undead or anything of that nature?"

Return to “The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)”