Chapter 1: The Hamlet of Silington

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1: The Hamlet of Silington

#21 Post by coil23 »

Osprey Palearctic, elven fighter/magic-user

I think they are suggesting we may find some good fishing tackle up there, Osprey offers quietly.

Caution is called for but this may be a worthy mystery.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg the dwarf gruff gravely voice speaks up from his leaning spot in the shadows "Caution is the name of the game. Wouldn't have it any other way."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Mant72 »

Used to ignoring unwanted advances, the barmaid lifts a reprimanding brow at Aric as she yet again fills his cup with stout brew. "Your grandpapa sounds like a smart man," she says to Hex. "I wouldn't be gettin' no ideas about goin' up to that place. Unless you don't plan on comin' back."

The bird-like man's eyes light up when Aric mentions treasure. "Well, I don't know for certain about any treasure, but you know them religious types, always spending time and money constructing golden idlols bedecked in jewels and other sparklies, so I'd bet me brother's bones that the place is ripe for the pickin'."

The bartender lightly admonishes the man, "Careful there, Tovin; you border on blasphemy. The old monastery was built in honor of Lunia. Now you know I'm not an overly religious man but I do follow the path of The Mother, Lunia, as do most of us here, and you know some of those 'religious types' as you so put it are the very ones that have pulled this village out of the fire a few times. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but you shouldn't talk that way."

Tovin looks sullenly down at his cup and mumbles, "Ain't no amount o' gold could get me to step foot on those tainted grounds anyhow. Besides, you wouldn't live long enough to be able to spend any of it nohow. Ancient magic is trapped beneath that place, and it seeps outta the earth like a poison. Anyone settin' foot on them grounds or taking anything from the place is forever cursed. Those that do, come down with a hideous disease that slowly turns 'em into a deformed and mindless creature." He shudders, and quickly downs his cup.

As the unsettling conversation begins to wane and the night presses on, the innkeeper eventually announces that they will be closing up for the night.
Everyone give me a 1d20 Wisdom check please.
He makes his way over to your table, gives you all a welcoming smile, and introduces himself as Iram Roundtree. He takes note that your group is from out of town and offers, “We have some very fine rooms here at The Laughing Cat! Ones with nice, soft beds that may be rented out for a mere two gold pieces a night. What do you say? Would you like to secure a few? I’ll even throw in a hot breakfast in the morning.”

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Storm11 »

PbP Forum code: [1d20] = 19
Hexalon's halfling ears perks up at the mention of magic, but he holds his tongue.

At the mention of rooms he smiles and at the mention of breakfast he lets out a whoop.

"Now don't be stingy on the sausages and bacon and you have a deal master Iram yes yes yes indeed. Can we share a room or is it one a piece?"
Greys Campaign.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

Aric, uncouth savage

"How much to include the wench with the room?" Aric asks with a smile.

He thinks about the rumors of religious treasures and magic. He doesn't like magic. Sometimes he can pick up its very presence - and it makes him nauseous.

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "Eh? Whats that? Someone say sausage and bacon? Might I get a plate too I love bacon and sausage." then at the mention of the "secure" rooms he laughs "Ha! Secure I'll be the judge of that. What'll it run for a room?" the dwarf asks looking at the bartender.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by coil23 »

Osprey smiles at the enthusiasm over bacon and sausage. Evidently this is the real treasure. He nods to the innkeeper and waits to hear an answer to the halfling's question on single or shared rooms.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ravenn4544 »

Brother Wil quietly observes in a quiet corner of the room. "Ma'am, I'd be much appreciative for some bread, water, and a slice of meat if you should be so fortunate to provide?"

Wisdom Ability Check Roll (16): [1d20] = 19

OOC: sorry for the delay, have a really long driveway and we got some snow this weekend :). Please always NPC if it helps keep the game going for any time I am late to post!

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Mant72 »

Wisdom Check for Trusty: [1d20] = 11
Iram chuckles at Hex's request, "You've got it Master Glowfoot and you too Master Steelybeard, extra sausages and bacon for the both of you! The inn is fairly empty tonight, so you can have your pick from our fine rooms. A couple of them are even specifically designed for more diminutive folk such as yourselves. You can claim a room for your own or share one if you like. The biggest room we have sleeps four, but that room will cost four gold; however, that's but a trifle when you see the luxury that awaits!"

Ilsa, the barmaid, overhears Aric's suggestion and seductively saunters over to the giant. The swaying of her hips keep an unheard rhythm that reminds the barbarian of the tribal drums from his native land. She wets her lips, gently cups his lantern-like jaw in her hand, and leans in to whisper into his ear, "Listen closely, mountain man. I am not a bauble to be borrowed or trinket to be won, and I am not afraid of you! Now, kindly pay for your drinks and your room, if you're planning to stay, so that I can clean up and get home myself!" With a scathing stare, she releases Aric's jaw. She then turns her attention to the polite monk, smiles warmly, and leaves off to fulfill his request for a humble meal of bread, water, and a slice of meat.

Iram looks apologetically at the group, shrugs his shoulders, and quickly calls out for one of the other maids to prepare the available rooms.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Storm11 »

"Let's share. A sleep over. How marvellous. Cousin Eliza used to do it all the time so she did yes yes yes. A porker she was and no mistake. Here is my gold coin good Irlam!" the halfling says rummaging through his rainbow robe pockets.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ravenn4544 »

Brother Wil "Food is quite delicious, thank you Ma'am. Okay to sleep by the fire here? Otherwise something simple would be most appreciated for the evening"

GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg Steelybeard the dwarf smiles happily at the mention of getting more bacon and sausages. "A fine tip for you and me thanks for the extra meats." then at the mention of rooms and the suggestion of sharing rooms "Very well then if we share whom is going to share with whom? I would like to share a room with the hairfoot and the monk. Being that we are of similar minds when it comes to the manner we use and the food we eat."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Computer +1 »

Trusty Yon has been listening to all the gossip but is unmoved. His stomach is very interested however. Bring me three ales, meat, bread and a chicken he says to the barmaid. Night is a time to replenish the soul with good food!
Sorry I have been quiet, I was snowed in.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by coil23 »

Osprey politely orders some wine, bread, and cheese.

Quietly to the group, I think it may be useful if we adjourned to one of the rooms soon to discuss the stories we have heard.

Casually watching the crowd still in the tavern, Osprey looks for anything of note and for any undue interest in the group.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ha-ha-ha! I like a woman who speaks her mind!" replies Aric to Ilsa. "Tis your loss girl."

"Aye, let's decide about this monastary," says Aric to the other adventurers.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Mant72 »

Your group takes to their rooms in order to discuss the rumors centering around the monastery, trying to decipher what is to be believed and what has been fabricated by overly imaginative townsfolk. The need for sleep eventually forces you to retire for the evening with images of ghosts, cults, and crumbling monasteries intruding upon your dreams.

The morning finds you fairly well-rested as you awaken to the muted sound of distant church bells. Some of you lie in bed savoring the last moments of sleep, watching dust motes float lazily in a ray of sunlight spilling through the slats of your window, while others rise quickly to tend to their gear and prepare for the coming day. The halfling and dwarf are both eager to get to the extra servings of sausage and bacon that were promised to them the night before.

Iram greets you all as you descend the stairs into the common room, “Good morning!,” he booms. “I trust you found our accommodations to your liking? Your breakfast will be served up shortly, but before you enjoy your meal, I must give you this.” He reaches into his apron and removes a folded, yellowed piece of parchment. “I was asked by a representative of the Church of Lunia to deliver this letter to you this morning.” He hands the letter over to Osprey. You can all see that it is stamped with a light blue, wax seal depicting the profile of a cat sitting beneath a crescent moon.

GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kragg "Hope you have my sausage and bacon my friend urged us off so quickly I didn't get ta partake of it. Might have to serve it up quick so I can take it on the road." the dwarf combs his fingers through his beard with a hand while scratching his belly with the other a talented dwarf indeed he winks as he speaks of the meats.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Storm11 »

Hex the prestigidator

The halfling gets up and tries to peer over the elf's shoulder to read what is said, his curiosity getting the better of him. Upon seeing the bacon and sausage arrive however he whoops with joy and with long hair and rainbow robes billowing about him scuttles to his chair and struggles up excitedly.

"Delicious," he says through a mouthful of piggy, "don't let any go to waste now, no no no."

Once he is finally full the nimble prestigidator will speak in a whisper to those gathered.

"So are we decided upon where we head? Is this Dim monestary our destination. If so when do we set off? Do we have enough supplies I wonders indeed? Ghosts not withstanding no indeed. Our neighbour Hevity Hogbottom claimed he saw a ghost once you know, yes yes yes. I think he just caught a look at his own reflection, pasty moose that he was. I had great fun making Phantasmal sounds through his windows when I was just learning ha ha ha."
Greys Campaign.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aric, give me your sausage!" cries Ilsa, clutching Aric's leg as her bosom heaves in fear and anticipation.

The barbarian straddles a golden idol, his great sword swinging at undead and ghosts clawing up from the monastery ruins. A cat laughs in the background.

"Not before breakfast!" yells Aric back. "Magic bacon is on the menu."

Aric wakes with a start from the strange dream. A message from Crom, he wonders, or just last night's talk mixing up in his head?

The barbarian makes his way down to breakfast, avoiding the meats.

"Let us go to the monastery with the morning sun behind us," he announces. "And hope light and steel will vanquish any evil we find."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by coil23 »

Osprey opens the letter and begins to read, only half aware of the morning banter around him. Will this shed any light on last night, I wonder?

Return to “The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)”