Some love for Ander Wood

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

Some love for Ander Wood

#1 Post by mithrandir138 »

I am aware that this post may be in the wrong thread, so moderators feel free to move it accordingly.

Love him, or hate him, (assuming you even know who he is) he makes you think. Ander Wood is a dude (a sage, if you will) on "the Youtubes" that gives advice to players and DMs about how to play an immersive style of roleplaying. He is very opinionated, cocky, passionate, and is "true to the game". I suggest that every player, regardless of skill level, and regardless of if you like his style or preachiness, should watch these videos (possibly repeatedly) and THINK.

Think about how you you are playing in your games: Are you being all you can be? Are you "selling" your character? If the game you are playing were a fantasy novel, would you want to read it? Do you feel like you are playing a tabletop version of a video game? (Caveat: his videos are geared towards face-to-face games, so you will need to do translation to PbP in your head) Regardless of how you answer these questions, I believe some introspection and reflection using someone else's opinion is nothing but a Good Thing(TM)

Behold, here are some recommended videos from the main man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3B33FxKDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYO2K3mVdMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbh9Q8ibWr8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51OoiL61N0

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some love for Ander Wood

#2 Post by ToniXX »

Okay, so I actually watched (well, listened) to all of these vids that you posted. And he's got great ideas, but he really takes a round-about way to get to them. Some of them are common sense, and should be practiced by anyone who has any social skills. Others made me think, and made me review how I actually role play at the table. I play (on occasion) in a game with very little role playing, save for myself, but towards the end of the night, since I'm the only one even trying it, I get tired and I give up, and the game turns into "roll" playing. And because of that, I don't want to return. I live in the second largest metropolis in this country (hell, in the effing western world) and have such a hard time finding decent players (well, any that want to play something that is pre-3ed).

This guy's got a lot of good ideas, he just needs to sum them up quicker, maybe put them in a blog instead. Thanks for posting. I'll check out a few of his other vids as well.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Landifarne
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Landifarne »

ToniXX wrote:Okay, so I actually watched (well, listened) to all of these vids that you posted. And he's got great ideas, but he really takes a round-about way to get to them. Some of them are common sense, and should be practiced by anyone who has any social skills. Others made me think, and made me review how I actually role play at the table. I play (on occasion) in a game with very little role playing, save for myself, but towards the end of the night, since I'm the only one even trying it, I get tired and I give up, and the game turns into "roll" playing. And because of that, I don't want to return. I live in the second largest metropolis in this country (hell, in the effing western world) and have such a hard time finding decent players (well, any that want to play something that is pre-3ed).

This guy's got a lot of good ideas, he just needs to sum them up quicker, maybe put them in a blog instead. Thanks for posting. I'll check out a few of his other vids as well.
Toni, you're not KoG over on Dragonsfoot, are you? If not, then you should be contacting him (or vice versa) to see if you two are compatible (both in Long Beach). Or, perhaps you're commenting on his game...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Landifarne wrote:Toni, you're not KoG over on Dragonsfoot, are you? If not, then you should be contacting him (or vice versa) to see if you two are compatible (both in Long Beach). Or, perhaps you're commenting on his game...
I am not he, but I do know him. I had to bow out of his game because he changed the play time, and also the compatibility was a little... off.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Tips for the Player”