Roll20 Info and Advice

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Roll20 Info and Advice

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Hey fellow gamers > been thinking about trying to play around with Roll20, but know little to nothing about the concept of this type of online gaming. I'm reading through the info on the webpage > https://roll20.net/
But I would like to hear from those who are experienced with this type of virtual gaming.
Also, how does it compare to MapTools and other such programs?

Thanks!
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Roll20 Info and Advice

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

PyrowArrow has a game running on there more like a series of games and he would be of good input on the topic. I have mostly been a player on there and I used it for my game maps on here in combat situations. I have not really run a game in them but played in multiple roll20 games and I like that style of gaming. Can't really say how it stacks up to the tools you listed as I have never used them.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

I have played in a few games on Roll 20 and thought it was a pretty good system. We did audio/ video in a Google group as the DM thought it worked better than the Roll 20 version.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote:I have played in a few games on Roll 20 and thought it was a pretty good system. We did audio/ video in a Google group as the DM thought it worked better than the Roll 20 version.
Same with the groups I ran with. I have tried to use the roll20 audio system and never got it working properly.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by hedgeknight »

Appreciate the advice > how stiff is the learning curve for old timers like me? :)
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hmm Well what is it you need to learn? rolling dice is simple type in the text chat /roll [1d20] adding images and getting maps are fairly simple some features aren't available on free accounts which is all that I have. Though I know there is increased storage for all sorts of additional things so learning curve from my perspective is fairly easy. But then again I am not old school enough I guess.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by PyroArrow »

Heck, even i still learn new things about what roll20 can do from time to time.

My games did not even have action macro buttons in the beginning, so i was constantly consulting the books before & after rolls were made.

Then a player that was a game programmer came along & after he made action button macros for his character, i began to then make them for the others.

I am also using just the free version right now.

The map making feature is nice though it is a pain to align the square & hex grids to the game maps sometimes.

I have not used the sounds feature yet & when i happen to look at roll20's forum for something, it usually something you need to be a paid member to even implement in your game, such as

tables for weapon fumbles for example.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Return to “Tips for the DM”