Notable Hack-N-Slash Posts

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Notable Hack-N-Slash Posts

#21 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote: I don't mind writing up a rough background - maybe a paragraph or so - to begin with...
That's all that's really needed. Just a few details that can be used, if needed, to connect the character into the world if role- playing is a big part of the game.
Ah, I was coming to write what Al had put. I thought y'all were going a different way with this.
Depending on what edition (I think) we are talking about old school-ish games are meant to be deadly. Dying at 1st level definitely needs to be real and teaches players that not every obstacle can be overcome with a BFA. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor :)
I worry about a player spending hours of effort on a PC background not getting that fact. Then disappointing them when the 97 kobolds surround a party and kill them just by numbers because they ignored the signs, or "it's just kobolds".
Plus I worry when a DM asks for such, if that's the game for me. Heh, as Dave and Alethan both know, I'm like a kid in a candy store if my character is carried home to town at the end of the adventure, clinging to life. ;) And if it's a TPK, depending on how that occurred, I'm even more tickled pink.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting a character up to 7th or 10th level, but most of their backstory was created in game really. I remember quite a few of those characters names actually. But when my 1/2 orc fighter starts his career at 13yo (which is true IIRC) there shouldn't be much more of a background than a paragraph or two, otherwise why is he only 1st level. :)

Anyways, my two coppers!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/201 ... izard.html

Oh, man! I love it.

And with the first actual single-class wizard I've ever REALLY played, I feel it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Tips for the DM”