Can co-DMing in a play-by-post format work?

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Can co-DMing in a play-by-post format work?

#1 Post by ken-do-nim »

I've tried to get a co-DM several times, but it never worked out. Does anybody have experience with multiple DMs in play-by-post?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Can co-DMing in a play-by-post format work?

#2 Post by Alethan »

Experience with it not working very well, not where it was an example of it working out.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by tooleychris »

I don't see why it couldn't work.
My last stint as a DM on an online persistent world for Neverwinter Nights had several DMs. As long as both DMs know what is happening, what could happen, what is supposed to happen, you know, communicate, then it would be fine.
One of the great things about PbP is that you can hold progress until DMs can collaborate, if and when surprises happen.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Dizlexus »

Gonna try it with my brother. We also have a clear division of labor. It helps have a creative partner and a critic. It also helps to have someone share the load of map making etc.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rukellian »

Do let me know how that turns out for you guys! You could say I am mildly interested in the idea but would like to see a successful pull off of such a stunt first, see if it really was all it was chalked up to be in my mind. ;) Best of luck to you two.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Dizlexus »

Me and my brother will be a bad sample for the Co DM study. We are brothers and spend hours talking on Skype anyway. Our relationship is different than that between unrelated people, I think.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've done this once and it worked out fairly well but the DM and I were able to converse in google talk/hangout text to confer and work together on ideas. Also he had typed up a reference sheet for me to use for ideas and the direction he was heading for with the group. So it worked out pretty well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

I think this could work if you had one DM that handled combat, and the other the story (the stuff between the combat). That would take a well matched pair: I know DMs that love the mechanics of combat, and do it well, but don't put much into their storyline. I'm the other way around.

No matter what, it would take a well-coordinated effort.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Tips for the DM”