Outdoor Survival Maps

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Outdoor Survival Maps

#1 Post by Alethan »

If you are running a sandbox campaign or building your own world, the two tables in WOTE's post over on ODD74 (link below) might be terribly valuable to you! With just a few simple rolls of the dice, you know what terrain the hex is that the characters are going to step into if they go west, and you also know if there are any key features of note in that hex.

Both tables would be very useful if you're building from scratch (or on the fly); the latter table would be useful if you were using an existing wilderness map and wanted to note anything of interest in the current hex or surrounding hexes.

http://odd74.proboards.com/post/124405

Cheers,

Al
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Outdoor Survival Maps

#2 Post by saalaria »

Wow - looks pretty useful - thanks Al!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Great read. I'm still not sure what particular product or map the author is referring to. Going to google now :)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Also a good read on the subject, and further explains Outdoor Survival by Avalon Hill, one of the other products you needed to play OD&D
http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2012/02/d ... art-3.html
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

I thought about offering further explanation, but the beautiful thing of it is, it doesn't really need it. All you have to have is a blank hex map and the desire to see it filled.

Or, alternately, an existing hex map with no further details provided, and all you need is the second table, to see if anything interesting comes up during the adventurers' travels through any given hex.

Specifically, I had your Margant map in mind and Third Kingdom's Adventure campaign in mind when I first read the entry. But it would certainly be useable by any DM.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

Interesting. For In Search of Adventure I am using the map of the Mystaran Known World; for my ACKS game I randomly generate a map using Hexographer. I will post a bit in my GM thread, when I get a chance, about how I go about populating a map specifically for a hexcrawl.

Return to “Tips for the DM”