Picture's Worth a 1000 Words...Sometimes More!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Picture's Worth a 1000 Words...Sometimes More!

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Howdy fellow gamers! Been thinking about starting a topic to help us as DM's create a scenario or maybe even an entire adventure/campaign by taking a picture and building ideas around it. I get a lot of ideas for my games from pictures, artwork, even songs, so here goes.
This picture is a some great fantasy artwork by Wayne Reynolds > http://www.waynereynolds.com/ > Wayne Reynolds (WAR) is currently one of my favorite artists, churning out a ton of artwork for Paizo Publishing and Pathfinder products.
Bar scene.jpg
Bar scene.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
I've entitled it simply as "Bar Scene" but, what I want us to do is bring it to life! What is the name of the bar? Where might it be located? Who are the patrons? What are their backgrounds? Now, I know that many of the patrons depicted here are iconic characters in the Pathfinder game system. But, we are recreating them to our own image! Ah, the power!! :twisted: So, they can be from any system > D&D, AD&D, LL, OSRIC, DCC, etc. By my count, there are 12 visible characters - visible enough to give us some ideas about them, just by looking at them! To help with identifying the patrons, let's start at the center (or thereabouts) and go clockwise around the room:
At roughly 12:00, we have a dwarven fellow, then slightly behind him a ordinary looking fellow with a grin on his face; a half-orc or half-ogre maybe, a scantily clad woman, a halfling or gnome archer, a woman dressed in priestly garments talking to a dark-skinned man possibly about whatever is in his hands, an elvish lady bristling with knives, a human male leaning on the table and talking with someone out of the picture, a white-haired gent smoking a pipe and looking at a map, a barmaid bringing a round of drinks, and what appears to be an older feller in the back corner. There's also an arm which looks to be holding a musical instrument of some type, and an owl sitting on the railing looking directly at us. Who are these people? Pick one and tell us about him or her. Give a brief (not a 3-page dissertation!) description of them - name, race, class, background, and why they are in the bar tonight.
Here is a link to a bigger image if you want to get a clearer look: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd19 ... 1ee6ea.jpg

Ready? Talk to me! :)
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Picture's Worth a 1000 Words...Sometimes More!

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

I'm up for it > just wanted to start some discussion and collaboration - really it could be for DM's and players alike.
So, any of you players out there, feel free to pick a patron or two and talk about 'em! ;)

I'll go first: ordinary fellow between the dwarf (?) and the half-orc.
Name: Branson Delle (most folks call him Bran)
He's a stable hand for a local inn and tonight is his night off. He has a pouch full of silver and he's looking for some excitement. He's lived in town for about five years; everyone knows him to be an nice fellow unless riled up. He is "sweet" on a local girl and was hoping to find her tonight at the bar. He likes to come to this bar because it is frequented by adventurers and they always have stories to tell. Bran secretly wished he could go adventuring, but he's untrained with a weapon. He'd work hard for a chance to tag along with a group - he know all there is to know about horses and is a very adept rider.

Alright > who's next??
Winter is coming...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Ok, here’s mine:
a woman dressed in priestly garments talking to a dark-skinned man
Nedena Edain is a cleric from the Uruk east, most likely from the large city of Urrant. She is traveling through this part of the world with the intent of spreading the holy word of Melen, the Uruk goddess of death and magic. The tattoos on her face paired with her headscarf denote her devotion to her goddess, as well as her standing in the Church of Alshenis. Another Uruk would recognize this, but to these strangers, these points just make her look all the more exotic.

She conceals a finely crafted mace on her left hip, and wears an amulet that shimmers under the tavern's lanterns. Her chainmail is also quite fine, and she commands attention as she moves around the tavern hall.

Her trek isn’t completely devoted to Melen, as she would be more than happy to do a little treasure hunting if she can find the right combination of intrepid souls.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Vargr1105 »

And here be mine:
owl sitting on the railing looking directly at us.
Poltatus the Polyamorous is a mid-level male human Transmuter, a wizard specialized in magicks that turn people and things into other people and things...including himself, which Poltatus often does as is the case in his jaunt to the bar where he polymorphed into a large owl.

Poltatus is not associated with any adventuring party in particular, rather he's a magical mercenary of sorts and joins parties in specific ventures if he finds them to be of personal interest. One caveat is that no one knows what he really looks like, every transmuter claiming to be Poltatus that has joined the local adventuring companies looked different at every instance of tagging along with a party. No one seems to know much about his origins, his past life or were he originally comes from; but it is obvious he isn't a local.

Lecherous and bon-vivant, Poltatus loves nothing more than getting into the pants of some young, curvy adventuress or barmaid. He has devised whole systems to obtain pootang aided by his body-altering magicks. One particular strategy which he can be seen attempting in the picture is adopting the form of a bird such as an owl, crow or other species commonly associated with being wizard familiars. It that shape Poltatus will loiter in the local adventurers' tavern, hovering near young females he's targeting and eavesdropping their conversations. If the chat turns towards the subject of men, and one of the targets describes what type of males she is attracted to, Poltatus will fly away and transmutate into the most similar form he can pull off of said "ideal male". Then he returns to where the ladies are and tries his luck on the mark.

In this instance in particular, the "WTF?" expression on the owl form adopted by Poltatus can be explained due to his disappointment with the venue. Poltatus had been invited to what he was expecting to be a bithcin' after-dungeon party, but the bar has proven to be mostly a sausage-fest with a few dogs here and there...with the exception of the red-haired raven wench. But Poltatus has already tapped that on a previous occasion and he don't like repeats too much. Still, if the party goes on without any other prospects...who knows? After all, is not hunger the best seasoning?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Two new entries > finally! I was beginning to suck my thumb and kick the dog in despair. ;)

Vargr > what can I say man? Very comical and typical bravado from many of the guys I work with! Love it! :lol:

Tonixx > very intrigued by Nedena. Where is Uruk? Urrant? Melen the goddess of death and magic? Are these locations and figures in your campaign world or did you just come up with them off the cuff?
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by AQuebman »

Female hanging on the orc's shoulder
Cahira Kinnat is a prostitute and a narcotics dealer both of which are fronts for her true position. Cahira is the Head of a female assassins guild named "The Dessicated Flesh". When Cahira was a early teenage girl she was sold into prostitution to pay her father's debs to a local drug lord. At her deepest and darkest moment she cried out angry toward the gods begging for someone to guide her from her world of hell. Her rage was answered by the great Demon Prince of Storms and Waste Azi Dahaka. With her newly found religious power she rose up killing not only her captors but the very drug lord her father sold her to. With Azi Dahaka's influence instead of ending these evils she grew them from entities of small power to dangerous threats few dared to cross. Where she was trained, and how "The Dessicated Flesh" was formed is a mystery just as it's existence is to all but a few rare survivors.

On this night a rumor has caught her ear there's an Orc in town looking to gather companions to investigate local murders and the drug game. Her experience as a young girl taught her how easy it is to gain a main's shoulder. If only he knew she was far more then a pretty girl of the night...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

hedgeknight wrote:Tonixx > very intrigued by Nedena. Where is Uruk? Urrant? Melen the goddess of death and magic? Are these locations and figures in your campaign world or did you just come up with them off the cuff?
Yes, this info is from my world, and I realize that it may not fit exactly into your concept here. I had been working on some writing for my world so it was all swirling in my mind when I wrote my entry about Nedena. I'll probably revise and expand her in a little bit. :)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Carissa Heathertoe, Halfling Fighter/Thief

"Well would you look at that," Carissa thought to herself, glancing down. "The daft bugger's even got his half of the map on the bloody table!"

After two months of scouting and planning and waiting for the right time to 'retrieve' the other half of the map to the Dalenwyr Dells, Carissa was utterly embarrassed to slip into the bar this evening for a quick nip (and, let's be honest, a few slit purses) and take her normal seat between the rails, only to find her target sitting at a table directly in front of her! She thought for sure he'd look up and see her face, which would complicate things to no end. Ugh, she hated killing old men; it tarnished her 'sweet' image so. But, after holding her position for a few moments, she realized that, not only did the old man not see her, but nobody else in the bar was taking notice of her, either. Sometimes it pays to be of such an unnoticeable stature!

"The fool still doesn't even know what the map leads to!" she continued, again in her head. Carissa allowed a slight smile to split her lips as she leaned forward, her highly organized mind already recording the landmarks she would need to get her to where she could put her own half of the map into play. Who needs a paper map when you've got the memory of an oliphant?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

ToniXX wrote:
hedgeknight wrote:Tonixx > very intrigued by Nedena. Where is Uruk? Urrant? Melen the goddess of death and magic? Are these locations and figures in your campaign world or did you just come up with them off the cuff?
Yes, this info is from my world, and I realize that it may not fit exactly into your concept here. I had been working on some writing for my world so it was all swirling in my mind when I wrote my entry about Nedena. I'll probably revise and expand her in a little bit. :)
On the contrary, man, it fits fine. I love it! I've often thought of creating my own campaign world, but just haven't taken the time - I sketched out a map and have named a few places, but I always use a known setting when it comes to game time. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying, I'd like to read more about your world.
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

AQ > You had me at "Dessicated Flesh" :D Plus, I really like the title of your demon > Demon Prince of Storms and Waste Azi Dahaka. Cahira has a lot of potential to be a PC or a behind-the-scenes NPC benefactor or antagonist. Good stuff!

Alethan > You sneaky little minx! Love the premise you've set up here and I imagine Carissa to be just cute enough that no one would expect her true intentions. I also like the concept of the Dalenwyr Dells. Tell me more...
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by AQuebman »

hedgeknight wrote:AQ > You had me at "Dessicated Flesh" :D Plus, I really like the title of your demon > Demon Prince of Storms and Waste Azi Dahaka. Cahira has a lot of potential to be a PC or a behind-the-scenes NPC benefactor or antagonist. Good stuff!

Alethan > You sneaky little minx! Love the premise you've set up here and I imagine Carissa to be just cute enough that no one would expect her true intentions. I also like the concept of the Dalenwyr Dells. Tell me more...

I can't take credit for the name as much as I wish I could. Azi Dahaka is a patron in DCC and he's badass. I have a picture or two in my game within the deities thread.

Everything else about Cahira and her assassins guild name etc.. . I threw together on the fly. Had an idea for her for a while but didn't have time to officially put it down until now. :D These are all great, thanks for the idea Hedge. Also I think most of us have had the idea of our own campaign world but few of us have actually done the work to make it a reality.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:
I do love my halflings...

Mostly was just working on the fly, though Dalenwyr is a country in Margant. I've been working with ToniXX on his campaign (albeit sporadically) for about a year now. That is one of the areas I picked to work on.

Initial thought was to make the Dells an area of ruins from an earlier civilization, supposedly lost throu time, but really they're just hard to get to, located in some medium-sized foothills that have lots of boxed canyons and confusing meandering hills... Maybe even an ancient tomb or two, if you know JUST where to look. ;) Hence the need for a map.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Tips for the DM”