MapTools Q&A

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

MapTools Q&A

#1 Post by Bhart »

If you have questions regarding the tutorial or MapTools in general post it here! :)

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: MapTools Q&A

#2 Post by AQuebman »

Hey Bhart,

Not sure if your going to get into this but the one time I had to use Maptools I found the site below useful for making sure your maps line up within the grid. All the user needs is excel an imaging program one of which is freeware they suggest and the ability to follow basic directions.

http://www.beauvais1.com/mapscaletool/

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Bhart »

AQuebman wrote:Hey Bhart,

Not sure if your going to get into this but the one time I had to use Maptools I found the site below useful for making sure your maps line up within the grid. All the user needs is excel an imaging program one of which is freeware they suggest and the ability to follow basic directions.

http://www.beauvais1.com/mapscaletool/
Thanks for the link! It looks like a handy way to calculate the map size.

Yes I am going to get to this (If RL starts cooperating). First I'm going to cover painting the dungeon using the drawing tools and texture fills. Then I will cover how to drop in pre-painted maps, align them, scale them and how to use use fog of war and vision/lighting to reveal them.

I'm using the 2 different approaches in my games. C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan is painted as the players explore. S1 The Tomb of Horrors uses a pre-painted map concealed by fog of war.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Bhart wrote:I'm using the 2 different approaches in my games. C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan is painted as the players explore. S1 The Tomb of Horrors uses a pre-painted map concealed by fog of war.
This is outstanding! I haven't yet, but will definitely have to check out your games now to see how these two methods differ.

In your opinion, which approach is easier?

My assumptions could be completely wrong, but I would think creating the full, pre-painted map and using fog-of-war effects to hide unexplored or out-of-distance areas would require a more significant up-front cost (in terms of time investment) but less work to maintain over time; whereas the paint-as-you-go maps sound quicker to make (due to the limited area being illustrated), but you're left constantly needing to create maps.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by AQuebman »

I'd love to learn more about using fog of war and painting your own dungeon. One of the things I have to deal with in DCC is that there are maps but there isn't much in the way of a grid so a little painting of my own would provide my players with a very clear map but I have to learn how to use the tool first to do that. It seems difficult but hopefully Bhart can show me i'm over complicating things as usual ;).

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Bhart »

dmw71 wrote:
Bhart wrote:I'm using the 2 different approaches in my games. C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan is painted as the players explore. S1 The Tomb of Horrors uses a pre-painted map concealed by fog of war.
This is outstanding! I haven't yet, but will definitely have to check out your games now to see how these two methods differ.

My assumptions could be completely wrong, but I would think creating the full, pre-painted map and using fog-of-war effects to hide unexplored or out-of-distance areas would require a more significant up-front cost (in terms of time investment) but less work to maintain over time; whereas the paint-as-you-go maps sound quicker to make (due to the limited area being illustrated), but you're left constantly needing to create maps.
Your assessment is completely correct. Which technique I use is totally dependent on the amount of "up front" time I have.

For PBP there is very little difference in ease. When using MapTool for live meetings the pre-painted route always makes things easier during the game at the cost of work put in ahead of time. ;)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Bhart »

AQuebman wrote:I'd love to learn more about using fog of war and painting your own dungeon. One of the things I have to deal with in DCC is that there are maps but there isn't much in the way of a grid so a little painting of my own would provide my players with a very clear map but I have to learn how to use the tool first to do that. It seems difficult but hopefully Bhart can show me i'm over complicating things as usual ;).
I'll do my best to get more info up soon. ;)
In the mean time if you download the app and give it a try, then feel free to post as many questions as you like. I'll be glad to answer them and help you through the learning curve. :D

Not all maps have to be painted. I've gone for the "old school" feel before by using just black lines on graph paper background. Check out the example below.
Attachments
example.png
example.png (123.65 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

I'm gonna see if I can work through your tutorial thus far over the weekend. I like the one map you posted... looks very much like the entrance tunnel of Tomb of Horrors! :) Good stuff and thanks again for posting.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Bhart »

dmw71 wrote:

Heh, I just looked at my own maps and realized it may be hard to see a difference. I'm actually using fog of war with both because it helps the light effects.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Bhart »

ToniXX wrote:I'm gonna see if I can work through your tutorial thus far over the weekend. I like the one map you posted... looks very much like the entrance tunnel of Tomb of Horrors! :) Good stuff and thanks again for posting.
Because it is. :D That's the map being used for group 2 in the PBP game I run here.

Return to “Tips for the DM”