It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting mapping tool
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:59 pm 

I've only fooled around with it a little bit.
https://www.mipui.net/
Seems simple and saves in the cloud and can be shared real time.
Hopefully it's as neato as it sounds and looks!
Let me know if anyone else has experience with it or gives it a whirl!
--Ron--

mjulius wrote:
That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon wrote:
The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308 wrote:
...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 am 

I'm willing to start playing around with it.

Have an opportunity to start mapping in-game right now, actually...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

I would love a report on how this works.

I badly need to improve on my online mapping skills, but I don't really have a lot of time to experiment at the moment.

If it is easy enough to learn, I might be very interested to give it a try.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 pm 

It's really easy to map on the fly if you're just mapping rooms.

There really aren't any tools for adding features or items to rooms, like desks or beds or tables or chairs. But you can add walls and doors and secret doors. It's really quite easy to use.

Attachment:
Beginning Mapping.jpg
Beginning Mapping.jpg [ 31.82 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm 
Squire
Squire

Alethan wrote:
It's really easy to map on the fly if you're just mapping rooms.

There really aren't any tools for adding features or items to rooms, like desks or beds or tables or chairs. But you can add walls and doors and secret doors. It's really quite easy to use.

Hi! I'm the developer, saw the link from here and wanted to pop in.

My original use-case was mapping during a live play, so my top priority was to make it simple and fast, hence the lack of things like setting up specific kinds of furniture - just use the shape objects. I think the live edits and the cloud storage make Mipui a good match for the PbP community, but admittedly I'm not too familiar with it so I don't really know what you need.

Also, Mipui has fog-of-war and has a line-of-sight tool to reveal it - I've attached a brief animation showing how it works. Again, don't know how useful it is to PbP, but might be of interest.

Attachment:
gmtools-annotated.gif
gmtools-annotated.gif [ 413.87 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 am 

Welcome Mipui!
—Ron—

mjulius wrote:
That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon wrote:
The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308 wrote:
...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 am 

Mipui Author wrote:
Hi! I'm the developer, saw the link from here and wanted to pop in.

My original use-case was mapping during a live play, so my top priority was to make it simple and fast, hence the lack of things like setting up specific kinds of furniture - just use the shape objects. I think the live edits and the cloud storage make Mipui a good match for the PbP community, but admittedly I'm not too familiar with it so I don't really know what you need.

Also, Mipui has fog-of-war and has a line-of-sight tool to reveal it - I've attached a brief animation showing how it works. Again, don't know how useful it is to PbP, but might be of interest.

Welcome to the Unseen Servant!

For dungeon development, I think it would be beneficial to have things like objects that can be placed in the rooms.

From the perspective of a party mapper, being able to accurately lay out room size and door location and type of door is all you REALLY need. To that end, this tool works very well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

One thing I couldn't tell from my first quick look at the tool—is it possible to make a map in which there are no wall spaces between the "room" spaces? One of the games I'm in uses a map in which walls, doors, and such each fill a square. So a door would be a "room space" instead of something between room spaces. Is it possible to make a map like that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:03 pm 

Zhym wrote:
One thing I couldn't tell from my first quick look at the tool—is it possible to make a map in which there are no wall spaces between the "room" spaces? One of the games I'm in uses a map in which walls, doors, and such each fill a square. So a door would be a "room space" instead of something between room spaces. Is it possible to make a map like that?

You can change how the map displays visually, like you could make it look old school with the blue grid. I'm not sure how this affects the structure behind the scenes, though. I haven't played around with it.

But... so you're saying a door takes up a 5' deep space? And all walls are 5' thick?

Regardless, I think as long as you can visually map the dimensions of the rooms and hallways and locations of doors, it should work for player mapping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Yup. This is the map I'm making in Marullus's game:
Attachment:
Demon Hole Map.jpg
Demon Hole Map.jpg [ 267.74 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

I think those are actually 10' squares, so every door fills a 10x10 space, every wall is 10' thick, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm 
Squire
Squire

Alethan wrote:
For dungeon development, I think it would be beneficial to have things like objects that can be placed in the rooms.

Oh, there are tons of things! Look under the "Tokens" menu. It's just that you can't stretch or rotate or otherwise tweak them, except for resizing - and even then it snaps to grid. They are meant to be symbolic, instead of an actual image of what's there.

Zhym wrote:

You can't use the door tools for that, those have to go on the "wall" cells. However, you can use a "door" image to achieve what you want - search the token menu for "door" or "gate" to see what I mean. Here's an example of the top-left of your map with door tokens: https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html?mid=mwertpysd1i

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am 

As a mapping player, I wouldn't necessarily care about objects in the room; I'm more concerned with room dimensions and door placement and hallways.

If I was a DM mapping out a dungeon, though, I'd want objects to be sizable and I'd want to be able to turn off snap to grid and rotate the objects to the desired orientation so it's more organic.

Right now, I'm just the former. And it seems to work quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:01 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

I've just tried toying around with this tool. I really like it, quick and simple for on the fly and player mapping.

Mipui Author, do you plan on implementing any diagonal versions of the wall separators? I really like that diagonal walls are allowed, but it would be nice to put doors, secret passages, etc. on them as well. Maybe I'm just daft, but I couldn't find them in the palettes anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 pm 
Squire
Squire

Starbeard wrote:
Mipui Author, do you plan on implementing any diagonal versions of the wall separators?

Yes, I plan on adding that. It's not high priority but definitely on my roadmap. Tracking in https://github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/85.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Mipui Author wrote:
Starbeard wrote:
Mipui Author, do you plan on implementing any diagonal versions of the wall separators?

Yes, I plan on adding that. It's not high priority but definitely on my roadmap. Tracking in https://github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/85.

Fantastic, thanks!