Mapping on an iPad?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Mapping on an iPad?

#1 Post by Zhym »

Has anyone tried mapping on an iPad with the Apple Pencil? What software do you use? It seems like something that should be easy to do, like drawing on magic graph paper, but I haven't found an app yet that does what I want.

The optimal solution would be a purpose-built dungeon mapping app (any app developers out there? ;)). But a drawing app might also work.

I had been using Notability, which has graph paper as one of the options. But it has the glaring omission, IMO, that there's no (useful) way to draw a good circle. I suck at drawing freehand circles. You can draw perfect straight lines but not circles.

Am I the only one trying to do this?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mapping on an iPad?

#2 Post by Starbeard »

I don't have an Apple Pencil, but if I did I would want something like this.

Is there any simple AutoCAD type software that would do the trick?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

The limiting word there is "simple." I suspect most CAD-type software would be overkill.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

That's a shame. It seems like it would be one of the first types of software to pop up. Draw simple lines and shapes, snapped to whatever grid size you choose, with the ability to select and edit/move shapes around. Half of all practical CAD use could be done that way, and it would go twice as quickly.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Starbeard »

Have you checked out Concepts? One reviewer said it's one of the few that actually allows grid-snapped sketching.

Return to “Tips for the DM”