OOC the second

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC the second

#141 Post by coil23 »

That sounds good if it is possible. Any other ideas?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by wolfpack »

it may be the only option.

that or we sneak out now in the boat in the dark, and when they send a larger party to the cave we sneak around to the back side of the ship and board.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful is fine with either of those ideas.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#144 Post by Hotgoblin »

I think they're on to us, I'm trying to swim up to the ship to see what I can learn.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by Mant72 »

Tough break, guys. It's been a pleasure playing with you all, and I hope to do so again in the future.

Great game, Ogre! Too bad we flubbed it.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by wolfpack »

Is the game over? Just because thigs didn;t fully go as planned. If the elf brings us back the conversation he overheard it still gives us clues whats going on.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#147 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No flub at all! These things happen.
wolfpack wrote:Is the game over? Just because thigs didn;t fully go as planned. If the elf brings us back the conversation he overheard it still gives us clues whats going on.
Your next in-game objective was to make your way to the ship so the remaining smugglers/pirates could be dealt with. Thereby exposing the evidence against them and then finding even more evidence and intrigue for you to follow up on.

Since that ship has now sailed, so has all your evidence.

The climactic ending to U1 is supposed to be when you take down the pirates and capture their ship. Using the ship, you advance to the next section of the game. Since that is no longer possible, the game is now over. I'm not sure how the information Jonas overheard is going to help you if you don't have any of the actual items from the ship.

I apologize if you feel like I have shorted you, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

I'm happy to answer any other comments or complaints if you have them.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by wolfpack »

Because we know that what is onboard are weapons, and they are being smuggled for lizard men who are also onboard. Shouldn't be unreasonable to find where any naerby lizard man tribe is based.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#149 Post by Scott308 »

I had fun, Rob. Sometimes the players don't pick up on the clues, and are unable to continue past a certain point. It makes sense that the smugglers would leave. Not rowing out like they expected and having an unknown boat on shore would definitely be red flags for them. We may not have gotten all the way through, but we did accomplish the goal that the original group of characters were hired for- investigating the old house and eventually driving off (and killing a bunch) of ne'er-do-wells. Personally, I think Tortuga was dirty. He suggested that we take his boat, and then didn't send anyone to retrieve it, even though we had it for almost a week. He knew the smugglers would realize the jig was up before they could walk into an ambush.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by Mant72 »

Yeah, there were times when I thought Tortuga was shady. I also thought that the council woman, Julie, was as well. OM, would you care to weigh in on this and let us peek behind the screen? :)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by coil23 »

My apologies if I dropped the ball on any of this. Disappointed we failed mid-mission.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#152 Post by OGRE MAGE »

wolfpack wrote:Because we know that what is onboard are weapons, and they are being smuggled for lizard men who are also onboard. Shouldn't be unreasonable to find where any naerby lizard man tribe is based.
The only reason I revealed that information in the first place was to bring some closure to the game. The next part of the mission is a long distance from where you are now and you don't have any idea where to begin looking. Its not like the lizardmen are hiding out in Saltmarsh. That is why it was imperative to obtain the ship and its clues, maps, etc. I am getting the impression that you think that I am doing this maliciously. I assure you that is not the case. I just dislike herding players down certain paths unless it is absolutely necessary. I didn't feel like this was a good place for railroading, therefore, this game has reached its end.

Again, I apologize if this didn't work out as you hoped. :?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#153 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:I had fun, Rob. Sometimes the players don't pick up on the clues, and are unable to continue past a certain point. It makes sense that the smugglers would leave. Not rowing out like they expected and having an unknown boat on shore would definitely be red flags for them. We may not have gotten all the way through, but we did accomplish the goal that the original group of characters were hired for- investigating the old house and eventually driving off (and killing a bunch) of ne'er-do-wells. Personally, I think Tortuga was dirty. He suggested that we take his boat, and then didn't send anyone to retrieve it, even though we had it for almost a week. He knew the smugglers would realize the jig was up before they could walk into an ambush.
Thanks, Scott. I am glad that you see it that way.

Tortuga was legitimately trying to help you. He didn't have any inside information about the smugglers at all. That was all information for the players to figure out.

Thank you for feeling that at least the group accomplished a few good things along the way. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#154 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:My apologies if I dropped the ball on any of this. Disappointed we failed mid-mission.
Doubtfuls OBSESSION with burning everything that moved was a bit unhealthy, and might have had some bearing on the party wanting to stay inside the safety of the caves. However, I am certainly not blaming any one player for this ending.

That is one of the biggest problems with the "thinking" parts of a game in a PbP format. There is no actual conversing around the table about things. One player posts an idea, and the rest of the players usually just follow along, right or wrong. Maybe because they are pressed for time and cant post their ideas, or maybe because they don't want to seem confrontational. It is much easier to agree with a post than to make an argument about it. Thereby, making it easier to follow down the wrong path.

I hope that makes sense.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by wolfpack »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
wolfpack wrote:Because we know that what is onboard are weapons, and they are being smuggled for lizard men who are also onboard. Shouldn't be unreasonable to find where any naerby lizard man tribe is based.
The only reason I revealed that information in the first place was to bring some closure to the game. The next part of the mission is a long distance from where you are now and you don't have any idea where to begin looking. Its not like the lizardmen are hiding out in Saltmarsh. That is why it was imperative to obtain the ship and its clues, maps, etc. I am getting the impression that you think that I am doing this maliciously. I assure you that is not the case. I just dislike herding players down certain paths unless it is absolutely necessary. I didn't feel like this was a good place for railroading, therefore, this game has reached its end.

Again, I apologize if this didn't work out as you hoped. :?
oh no, I don't think it is malicious. I just liked the game and wanted to keep it going.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mant72 wrote:Yeah, there were times when I thought Tortuga was shady. I also thought that the council woman, Julie, was as well. OM, would you care to weigh in on this and let us peek behind the screen? :)
Julie was trying to help you! How could you say anything bad about her?

Actually, you were never supposed to find which council member was acting as the "connection". (Psssst......it was Short Jack) :D

I would be happy to explain any parts of the game to you. Just ask! :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#157 Post by OGRE MAGE »

wolfpack wrote:oh no, I don't think it is malicious. I just liked the game and wanted to keep it going.
Oh good! I enjoyed running it for the most part, (except the very beginning) so I am glad that you enjoyed it while it lasted.

I think there were some avenues where the party was quite successful, unfortunately, just not at the end.

Scott308

#158 Post by Scott308 »

Did we ever figure out what the "Philosopher's Stone" was?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#159 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If Urson wants to play Mai again, I better not say yet.

Hint: It doesn't turn stuff to gold. :D

Scott308

#160 Post by Scott308 »

Does this mean you might run U2 Danger at Dunwater? I'd happily play Umrick again.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”