Re: OOC the second

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oh yea, that's right. Carry on. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:So...the blind man and the man with the poisoned and turning blue finger have set off on their own. Is the only truly ailing person still with us Jonas with his retching? Perhaps the boy at the temple door wondered why we were there because the only people on the doorstep looked fine.
Why would things be any different now just because you are back at town? :lol:

In all honesty, that kind of behavior really seems to be par for the course in this game.

I was hoping that the confusion would end once we lost the players that were doing most of the confusing, but that still doesn't seem to be helping.

Here are some observations about this group so far.....

Clues intended to guide you through the game are being completely ignored. I have no idea what you guys are going to do next because the one obvious clue to the next phase of the game has been ignored since you received it. (even after I came right out and said as much by posting it the second and third times)

Treasure is also being ignored. You had the key in your pocket when you jammed up the lockbox. You left the body with all of its treasures just laying there in the wine cellar because nobody could agree on what to do about the worms? There are items in the treasure list that could help you out tremendously that are just sitting there. I am not sure what I have to do to get these things distributed amongst the group.

Some of the many contradictive posts are killing the flow of the game. You spend more time discussing things like fortifying doors, making fire traps, and handling the body of your dead comrade than you do on what actually matters to the continuation of the story.

If there is something that I can do to help with these circumstances, please let me know!!!! Sometimes I really feel like I have completely lost control of what is going on in this game.

I would love to hear some feedback about this.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

re: the key for the lockbox >
Ben is a bit taken back by the results of the battle. He checks out the body of Sanbalet and finds a few baubles. He has a thin yet very ornate dagger strapped to his right forearm and two normal daggers at his belt. His robes and shoes are plain and his gashed open metal skullcap is thin and cheaply made, it is also covered in blood and brain matter. He has two small belt pouches. One is filled with odds and ends that can only be his spell components. The other has a small stone, three pretty gems, 5 gold coins, 10 silver coins, a small key, and a pair of dice.

and then this...
Ben pockets the items for examination later.

So...Burly never knew there was a key found on Sanbalet's body...unless ravenn shared this and I missed it. Which leads me to the next point:

splitting the group > there were so many posts back and forth about whether to stay or go, go by land or by sea, that I overlooked the post where all of us were going to take Jonas to the temple. My bad. Thus, I posted that Burly was taking Jervis back to the Uptown Inn. Unless I missed this too, Burly hasn't had any ill effect from the poisoned needle other than his finger turning blue...which he kinda likes. :mrgreen:

As for the rest of Rob's points, we (me included) seem to not be paying close attention to the details. Or perhaps, we are getting caught up too much in the details that we overlook the big picture. It's similar to another game I was in (that I recently dropped) where it seems we have too many leaders and not enough followers. This type of dynamic nearly always leads to confusion and to party members going off and doing their own things...i.e. splitting the group. In a "sandbox" game that is fine > that's what it is designed for, but in a game based on a somewhat cohesive "module" approach, it is chaos and hard on the DM and the players.
We need to pick a party leader for when we are out on the road and go with that leader's decision (after input from the others of course) and be done with it.

One more thing > re: missed treasure >
I am not sure what I have to do to get these things distributed amongst the group.
As a DM, I wouldn't do anything to get the missed treasure to the group. If you miss it, you miss it. Will it cost us later? Probably, but it's a teaching tool > you have to learn to run away sometimes.

Just my thoughts.
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ravenn4544 »

Nice summary - i never overtly shared the info on what i pocketed as far as I recall and then was split from the group.

Personally, i think this is a great game as this party has been really just winging it from minute to minute - as maybe you'd expect from a group of newbs thrown together.

As DM, I think you've been doing a great job keeping it going and organized and moving regardless of our own ineptitude. As was just mentioned, if we don't pick up on something, then that's on us.

Looking forward to the next chapter in this story!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks guys.

I am definitely not trying to point out any one certain players faults, so I am glad it wasn't taken that way.

I just really want to make sure there isn't something that I could be doing better to get these points out there.

I would agree that splitting the party, constant indecision, and what's worse, too many contradictions in players posts is the main issue.

I have an idea about how to keep things going in the story, I just hope it works out. :D

Please feel free to continue this discussion.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by coil23 »

The stumbling hapless troupe has been fun sometimes and frustrating other times for me. I am sure I am contributing more than my fair share to that dynamic. Choose a leader and I will follow them. That may help solve some of the chaos and get us back on track.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by coil23 »

Ooh, Ooh! I just thought of something completely random! Assuming that Burly's untreated blue finger does not cause some horrific, lingering, painful death:

Burly the Baker could begin to specialize in blueberry baked goods and claim the blue finger comes from some arcane influence (or some fruit deity's favor) that causes that flavor of goods to be magically delicious.

I know, I know. You're welcome. :roll: :lol:

addendum: good customer relations suggests that you wash the finger in front of customers to erase any lingering doubts that that is actually a fungus or worse on the finger touching their snack cake. Don't be like me and have to learn that the hard way! :lol:

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis is blind and has no idea where he is at or how to get around town. Also he is a farm kid who is trying to pass as a knight, he has no clue about priests and magic and healing. So when an older man he has grown some respect for says, come with me I'll help, he went.

I am just trying to stay in charcater

I did try to convince someone to kill the grubs and get the items but no one listened, and again he is blind so not much he can do. believe me if he wasn't when all the indecsion was going on he would have just taken action.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick can't use the armor, as he had pointed out, assuming someone else would. And, having already had contact with a rot grub, wasn't particularly keen on messing with it so that someone else could take advantage of it. To be honest, he most likely would have done so eventually anyway if they didn't decide to leave in a hurry. Odds are that he can go back the next day and pick it up. Also, he would be happy to put more effort into breaking open the locked box when he is somewhere he can spend some time with a stable surface. Walking back to town carrying the poisoned guy, not really the best time for it. Granted, if he was aware of the key, he wouldn't have put in the effort he already had.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Mant72 »

Sorry guys, I'll take my fair share of the blame about contributing to some of the confusion here. As far as tending to the body of Alec, I was just trying to role-play a little...being a cleric and all.

I totally spaced about Ben's whereabouts.

I view Doubtful as the party leader; he has assumed that role from the beginning.

OM is doing a top-notch job, and I enjoy playing Keilif. I will definitely be more cognizant of what's going on when reading the future posts.

Thanks for DMing, OM!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

motion seconded.

I'd suggest a little more discussion _before_ we post things like heading back to town or whatever.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If Jonas seems a little different after he wakes up this time, it's because he's a girl now. :lol:

Will everyone please join me in welcoming Hotgoblin to the game!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Welcome Hot Mama...er...I mean, Hotgoblin :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Urson »

woot! fresh blood is always welcome.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Welcome!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Mant72 »

Welcome, HG!

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”