OOC Babble

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

OOC Babble

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This is a good place for questions to the DM or discussing group strategies.

Please do not post non game related things in the main game thread.

Thanks.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Babble

#2 Post by Mant72 »

So, Ogre, how many brave adventurers are we looking at at this point? Just curious. Thanks!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

We started out with 11 players that were interested in getting into the game. Then I got some more interest via PM's bringing the total to 14. That is too many players for one group in my opinion.

I have ran large groups through games on here before and the action gets very bogged down with that many players. Especially if some of them don't post within the 48 hours that is required.

I don't want the action to suffer because I let too many players into the game so.... I have asked a few of my usual longtime players to step aside for now to let some of the newer members get a chance to jump in. The were gracious enough to be put on the wait list for the time being.

I will take 10 players for the 0 level portion of this adventure. If a few players drop out for whatever reason, those spots will be filled by those waiting. However, if your character dies or is otherwise incapacitated, and you would still like to remain in the game, I won't make you go to the bottom of the wait list. I don't like to punish good, active players because of a couple of unlucky die rolls.

I have a few thoughts on how to get the waiting players into the game, but I want to get the main group going before I start entertaining any of those ideas.

I count 9 interested players so far that are either new to the board or that I have not played with yet on here. That is fantastic! I look forward to seeing some new playing styles.

For those of you that have to wait..... Thanks again for understanding why.

At 0 level, I'm thinking there might be a few of you that will fall to the lich vampire occupants of the haunted mansion. Yes, you can and may die in this game, especially if you do dumb things!
(i.e. try talking to a T-Rex, try to take on a room full of monsters by yourself, trust the bad guys etc. :lol:)

I will start going over the sheets this weekend so we can get those ironed out. When the first group is ready to set out, we shall begin the fun. :)

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Mant72 »

Awesome, man. I can't wait to get things rolling (pun intended). :D

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by coil23 »

Let the fear and paranoia begin!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Urson »

My two cents: I've been in a lot of Face-to-Face and PBeM games, and I've never seen one with more than about 7 players that didn't devolve into chaos- or at best, two groups pulling in different directions.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I appreciate the concern about that and have thought about it a lot already. I would definitely agree that 5-7 players is ideal. I have run as many as 11 at one time on here and you are correct, it can easily turn into chaos fairly quickly.

Three factors figured in to my decision to allow 10 for this game.

1: You are starting at 0 level, with four hit points. Bad things are bound to happen. :shock:

2: Sometimes games that are just starting out get a lot of interest and attention right away but then, for whatever reasons, some players interests tend to fizzle out. If I feel that the group is not working at that size, I will let attrition assist and won't bring in replacement players until we lose a few first.

3: From what I've read so far from you guys, everyone seems like they are interested in making this game a fun and epic story for everyone involved. I'm hoping we can all police ourselves and keep the continuity and integrity of the group moving in a positive direction.

I don't tolerate players that constantly try to disrupt the flow of the game. :twisted: This is your only warning. :lol:

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Mant72 »

I think 10 players will be fine. I'm in a CoC campaign that has a ton of players in it. It all boils down to timely posts on everyone's part. Yeah, the low HP starting point will almost certainly weed a few folks out. Hope I'm not one. :?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Smart play and good teamwork will certainly prevent deaths.

Look at it this way......you have a lot of extra people to carry back the injured. :D

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

4 hp works for me.
And if my character dies, oh well.
It only took me about 15 minutes to write him up and fill out the character sheet. :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by coil23 »

I think I am going to get some practice at not being too attached to your character.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

With 4hp no armor and low stats even being careful won't make much difference. One bad roll is all it's gonna take lol.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Mant72 »

Yeah, but it adds the extra element of the unknown. Characters shouldn't always be superheroes, it leaves more at stake. It will be fun regardless.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nordbo »

Heck, Danny's knife is capable of dealing out 4 hp of damage each time. Fair enough for me :)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ravenn4544 »

4hp is not unrealistic honestly for a zero level plebe as we are (for now). It'll be fine. Also consider if you go down, you still have time to be stabilized and recover assuming the rest of the group lives.

DM - I assume we'll be using the -10hp rule for death? Any details we should know now before we are all unconscious? :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I've got a pretty good start on material so far so it shouldn't be long before we can get this under way.

I will write up a little tidbit for each of you about where you are staying and what you know about the town. When that is done, we should be able to get this moving.

My question is, do we want to get started right away or should we wait until after the holidays?

If you are ready to go, count off by posting here to tell me when you'd prefer to start.

Thanks!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ravenn4544 wrote:
DM - I assume we'll be using the -10hp rule for death? Any details we should know now before we are all unconscious? :)
Yes, you will be unconscious at 0 hit points, bleed out at 1 hp per round until stabilized, and you will be dead at -10 hit points.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Mant72 »

I'm ready to start now. Really looking forward to this!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by coil23 »

My vote is: Now.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Spectreman17 »

agreed, In fact I'm faster now than after the holiday. school restarts........

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”