5.5) Finding Tortuga

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

5.5) Finding Tortuga

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ben and Umrick take their leave of the group again and begin to head back to find Tortuga in Saltmarsh. Their trip takes about 4 hours and goes by uneventfully. The duo find themselves back at the gates of town right around dinner time.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: 5.5) Finding Tortuga

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ravenn4544 wrote:"Well Umrick, let's quench our thirst as we look for Tortuga - two birds with one stone!" Ben heads to the pub where he asks about Tortuga and buys a round of Ale for them both....

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

Not one to turn down a free drink, the gnome is happy to stop in at the pub to rinse the dust from his throat. And hopefully get some information as to the whereabouts of this Tortuga fellow they need to speak with.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ben and Umrick make their way through town again and get themselves to the Docks district. They head to Crystal Waters, an inn and tavern that Ben has stayed before, and one he knows Tortuga is affiliated with. The old brown skinned salt is not currently present, but the pair make their way to the bar all the same.

By the look on his face, the barkeep seems to remember Bens last ordeal here. He quietly asks you both for your drink order.

Scott308

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Since the bartender asked for their order quietly, Umrick will answer in kind, whispering, An ale, please. Not sure why they are being so quiet, the gnome is definitely not going to get chastised for being too loud!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben pays for Umrick's ale and asks the bartender if he has seen Tortuga today.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As you are enjoying your wet drink and conversing with the quiet bartender, Tortuga and another man walk into the establishment. They sit at a corner table and, after he recognizes Ben, the old salt eventually motions for you both to join them.

Tortuga

"Hello again Ben. I take it that you received my message?"

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick will wait until Ben goes to sit with Tortuga. He will then follow, taking his ale with him.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Yes, Sir, we came as quick as we could. We found the secret lair of an old wizard in that accursed house, as well. He was deader than dead for quite some time it would seem! What need to you have of me?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tortuga nods at Ben and Umrick, speaking to them very quietly.

"I have heard rumors about a suspicious looking sailing vessel from some of the local fishermen. They tell me that this ship likes to sail around at night with no lights burning. That sounds pretty shady to me. They say it only comes around when the moon is small and they don't stay around very long.

I think that ship might be the same vessel that's been hauling stolen cargo to your haunted house smugglers. Have you seen anything like that sailing around out there? Do you have a plan as to how to take care of them if you do see them?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ravenn4544 »

"thank you sir. We haven't seen anything but are watching and waiting. We plan on signaling with the code and have them enter the cave. We don't know the size of the ship, however. If it is a hauling cargo maybe it's a larger ship that would have a smaller boat to haul stuff to the cave? Not sure what we can do about a large boat at the moment, if anything. We were thinking of how to ambush them in a smaller boat. Open to any suggestions you may have, sir"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tortuga

"I think you are correct in thinking that the smugglers must use multiple smaller boats to transport their stolen cargo from the ship to the shore. Didn't you tell me that there was a boat in the caves when you first arrived? I think it must be a combined effort from ship to shore, otherwise they wouldn't have enough time to transport it all in one night."

"Whatever is happening out there, you had better be careful. Once the criminal kingpins realize that they have been compromised, they likely wont be very pleased about their highly profitable operations being thwarted."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Yeah - and if it is big vessel, they could have quite a few men on that ship... Do you have any ideas that would help? Or have some way that the town could lend us a hand? We've managed quite a bit of info - and took some serious lumps for it - and was just thinking of what kind of help would maybe be available, sir?"

Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Isn't there some sort of city guard that can help? If you have this criminal enterprise there at the edge of town, why aren't the authorities dong anything? Why send a group of untrained nobodies- nothing personal, Ben- but shouldn't the professionals be involved?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tortuga

I have no information on them other than what I've told you. I don't know how many men would be on the ship. We are only going off of conjecture and rumor at this point.

As was already mentioned before, the town's militia has their hands quite full at the moment. That is why you were asked to take on this task in the first place, though I don't remember you even being at the meetings master gnome.

Im not asking you to go up against an army. Just continue investigating this for the time being. See what else you can dig up for us. But if you do find yourselves against insurmountable odds, you don't have to be heroes and get yourselves all killed. Be smart out there.

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

I wasn't at any meetings. I was just someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got tangled up in this mess. Ben and the others rescued me from a bad situation, so I'm helping them out. Nobody was really all that clear as to what exactly I was helping them out with, but now things make a bit more sense. It's a bit too late to warn against getting killed, as a number of the group have in fact died facing the dangers this house held. I hope it will all be worth it in the end. If it wasn't for them rescuing me, I 'd be dead, so I really don't have anything to lose by staying around to help them. I do have a share of the reward to gain if I stick around, however. Turning to Ben, he asks in a low whisper, There is a reward, right? Please tell me they are going to pay you...us...for this!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Thank you, Tortuga sir, we appreciate you thinkin' about our well-being. Well, we best be off now as we have some preparations to make for when these smugglers are likely to return"

"Umrick, my good man, why don't we pick up a skin or two of wine for our fine friends? They might like to wet their whistle too, eh? What else can you think of that we should pick up in town to help our prepartions before we head back? Rope? Hooks?"

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

I think the others would like that. Ropes and hooks? I think those could be put to use. Let's pick those up and get back to the house.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tortuga

If you need to carry back a lot of provisions and supplies, why don't you just row them back in one of my john boats? The conditions are favorable tonight for a quick row up the coast. You can come to my shop with me and gather up all the rope, hooks, and whatever else you might think of to bring.

Let's go now though if you plan on rowing back yet tonight.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ravenn4544 »

"Thank you sir!! Much appreciated for your generosity sir! Umrick - let's grab some ale to go and head out as soon as we can..."

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”