5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm?

#41 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben, finding nothing of interest stashed away upstairs, returns to his lookout...

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#42 Post by Hotgoblin »

Jonas whispers...We should back up out of here, light a torch and report back to the other group what we're seeing. Sneaking up on creatures that can see better than us in the dark is not to our advantage!! Jonas will backup slowly out of the tunnel.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Urson »

Mai stands her ground, her sword ready. She is prepped to either attack or cover the other's withdrawal as needed.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

Burleson Blue Finger

Tired of stumbling around in the darkness, Burly pours a flask of oil in his lantern, and fires it up. He holds the lantern as high as he can to illuminate whatever is clicking and slurping in the chamber he and his friends are peering into.
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis stands by Burly sword gripped tight reayd to spring into action.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif stands at the ready, gripping his mace and bracing himself for the nightmare in the darkness.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

Umrick will aim his crossbow at one of the figures, waiting for light to determine exactly what it is. If it looks hostile or threatening, he will fire.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before the reveal, I want to make sure that I have the groups positioning correct.

Is this what you had in mind or do I have it all backwards?

IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG (229.64 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Urson »

works for me

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Mant72 »

Looks good.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by wolfpack »

that fine, jervis was with burly whereever he is positioned since he had the torch ready to light.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by hedgeknight »

Let 'er rip, tater chip!
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Things That Slurp in the Dark
Round 1

Once the group assumes their positions, Burly lights his lamp and Jervis a torch, hoping to see what is making these strange slurping noises. When your eyes begin to focus from the new light that fills the chamber, the unidentified creatures slowly come into view.

You see three large humanoid, crab-like monsters flopping around inside this chamber. Their body's are long, at least two feet longer than a full grown man is tall. They are reddish brown in color but have many streaks of blue and green throughout their long frame. They have the torso, arms, and legs of any other humanoid monster but, their hands are viscous clacking claws and their heads are hideous, bulbous things with snapping beaks made of a hard, shell-like material. They look to be wearing a hard carapace of shell-like armor that covers their entire midsection and vital organs.
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG (107.65 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Two of the monsters are kneeling down at the pool of green slime, they appear to be sucking it up into their faces directly out of the natural stone basin. Their mouth and nose are covered in the slime and their eyes look nearly closed. Neither of them seem to notice that you just lit up and entered the room.

The third monster is currently devouring the abandoned, rotting, piss soaked body of your former halforc comrade, Vhing, that is still lying on the table. It leaves its meal once it sees you all enter and stands to its full height of over eight feet tall. It's head nearly touches the ten foot ceiling as it lunges at the light bearers Burly and Jervis with startling speed, it's nasty claw-like clamp hands trying to tear apart some more soft, tasty flesh.

Umrick is shocked by the sheer size of these creatures. He fires his crossbow at the thing, but the bolt just glances off the hard outer armor of the crabman, doing no apparent damage to it.

Actions!

map
IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG (214.93 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Urson »

Initiative [1d10] = 9
attack [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2AAARGH!

Mai moves to attack, her motions almost like a dance. Her attack fails, horribly.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif rushes in to face these fiends from the deep. He swings his seahorse-headed mace, hoping to deliver a crushing blow.

Initiative Roll: [1d10] = 8

To hit with Mace [1d20] = 6; Damage: [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by wolfpack »

surpised by the rush Jervis hastily swings and misses

init [1d10] = 5

to hit [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#57 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

Seeing the crossbow will be of no use in this battle, Umrick drops the ranged weapon. Drawing his sword, the gnome charges the nearest crab man, swinging his sword at the creature.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by coil23 »

The druid is horrified at what they find. The clacking noises suggested crabs to him and he thought they could be large but...these things are abominations. He never expected something like this. Could this be the work of that evil magician we killed, I wonder? But even more, Doubtful is horrified at the reckless charge to attack. He was hoping for a judicious retreat and then firebombing the cave before barricading themselves into safety. But something must be done to mitigate the danger. He casts green faerie fire to illuminate the beasts.

(+2 to hit for each creature illuminated. I think at my current level I can illuminate one or two but probably not all three so illumination will start with the creature closest to Doubtful and move back to the others as able.)

We could draw them out to where we have prepared fire lines and ignite them there.

A small corner of his mind is wondering if the green slime had actually survived the burning from earlier. If so, did he actually just see something that can consume green slime rather than be consumed by it?!

Hotgoblin

Re: 5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm

#59 Post by Hotgoblin »

Jonas Gillman creeps back far enough into the now lit cave, to see what is feasting on the dead.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by hedgeknight »

Burleson Blue Finger

Appalled at the revealed crab men, Burly brings up his staff, swinging at one who just charge he and Jervis. "What in the name of the gods are these things?!?" he cries.

Initiative: [1d10] = 5
[1d20] = 17, [1d6] = 2
Winter is coming...

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”