4) Back to Saltmarsh; The doomed leading the blind.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

4) Back to Saltmarsh; The doomed leading the blind.

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Meanwhile, Back at Saltmarsh....

Since this young band of ragamuffins has passed through the town gates a few times now, there is little hassle from the gatekeepers at this late hour. One cheeky guard decides to call out as the group heads into town. Hey blue finger! Get yer drunken friends ta bed so they don't puke all over r clean streets! Ben and Burly have their own agendas and the thief takes off immediately, heading towards the docks to find Tortuga. His action will return to the private threads.

Ignoring the others attempt at getting him some help for his condition, Burly tries to talk Jervis into coming along with him until his sight returns instead. He even goes so far as inviting him to move into where he is staying at the Uptown. Promising the young boy good food together and hot baths aplenty. Burly heads off without a word to the group. I will let wolfpack chose if Jervis will go along or stay with those in need.

Kelief and the others are glad to still see lights coming from inside of the temple proper. They bang on the doors, hoping to get an answer before poor Jonas slips away any further. An extremely young alter boy that Kelief doesn't recognize unlocks and then opens the doors slowly. He stares at you all for a few seconds. Ummmmm......The temple is closed after dark...... We're just in here..........doing some.......cleaning.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 4) Back to Saltmarsh; The doomed leading the blind.

#2 Post by wolfpack »

I was staying at a local inn, but.... i.... don't think i can find it. I will retire with you, but I must find some wizard to fix my eyeds and remove the demons curse.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful raises a finger and opens his mouth, about to verbally flay the young man alive for turning away people in such need but stops himself. Let it come from a priest he thinks, stepping aside for Keilif to take the lead. His gaze burns through the boy at the door, the druid just hoping for a turn at instilling a lasting lesson.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif brandishes his holy symbol before the boy's eyes. "Now, do not stall! Quickly, retrieve one of the Mothers or Fathers. We have men about to sail their last..."

He shoulders through the door to prompt the boy into heeding his words.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jervis also ignores the others and decides to walk away with the help of Burly. Perhaps the blindness is affecting his mind more than he thought? The duo gets plenty of stares on the way to the inn from the few townsfolk still out at this late at night.

The young boy at the door stands at attention once seeing Keilifs holy symbol. In the church's hierarchy, the former crabber is no longer just a lowly alter boy or clergyman. He is a full fledged cleric, with magical powers bestowed upon him by the sea mother. Ummmmmm.....yes SIR! Do come in then! The doors are opened and you are allowed into the temple sacristy.

A fat, elderly priest approaches you, adjusting his garments. This person Keilif does recognize. It is Brother Tomas, a wretched old man with much anger in his heart. Keilif does not know him well but he believes that the only reason that he is still at the temple is because he hasn't died yet. He is a mid level Curate in the church and not very well liked by most Saltmartians.

What is goin on here? Who is demanding service at this late hour? Keilif! Is that you, boy? What is the meaning of this? And who are these others?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

This man may have been poisoned and is dying, that's the meaning of this. And we are friends of Keilif's. Now, can you help? Can you save his life?

Umrick will enter the church and put Jonas down, staring expectantly at the priest.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"Brother Tomas," Keilif bows his head curtly but respectfully to the curmudgeonly Curate. Keilif might not particularly care for the man, but he is a higher ranking member of the Order and deserving of respect. "We have come seeking the healing aid of Shileil. Jonas here has been poisoned, bitten or stung by something from the sea." He gestures to the ailing aquatic elf, hoping Brother Tomas offers aid and does not prove to be a hindrance.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by coil23 »

So...the blind man and the man with the poisoned and turning blue finger have set off on their own. Is the only truly ailing person still with us Jonas with his retching? Perhaps the boy at the temple door wondered why we were there because the only people on the doorstep looked fine.

Doubtful looks at the members of the party still present to see who needs attention first.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Mant72 »

Yep, this is how I understand things. Burly and Jervis took off.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

wolfpack wrote:I was staying at a local inn, but.... i.... don't think i can find it. I will retire with you, but I must find some wizard to fix my eyeds and remove the demons curse.
"Yeah, and I need someone to do something about my finger. Although, to tell the truth, I kind a like it! How do ya think 'Burleson Blue Finger' sounds?"

He looks at his blue finger approvingly and then says, "Say Jervis, do ya think we should have stuck with the others? Where were they going anyway? I got so damned confused with all the back and forth at the haunted house that I weren't really paying attention."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mant72 wrote:Keilif:

"Brother Tomas," Keilif bows his head curtly but respectfully to the curmudgeonly Curate. Keilif might not particularly care for the man, but he is a higher ranking member of the Order and deserving of respect. "We have come seeking the healing aid of Shileil. Jonas here has been poisoned, bitten or stung by something from the sea." He gestures to the ailing aquatic elf, hoping Brother Tomas offers aid and does not prove to be a hindrance.
Brother Tomas looks sideways at Umrick and than slowly remembers his place.

Yes, yes, set him down here and let us have a look, eh Keilif? The boy was poisoned you say?

The fat priest looks closely at the green half aquatic elf, spending time staring at the red rash around the festering bite mark.

Better to be safe here than sorry. The Curate begins a prayer under his breath that slowly crescendos to a loud chanting. Keilif recognizes this spell as a way to slow the effects of the poison in Jonas's system. After a few seconds, the prayer is over.

That should keep him around until morning. We will take a closer look at him then to see if he requires further attention. No need to wake any of the high priests for something like this.

What in the blazes were you all doing to have something like this happen?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

hedgeknight wrote:
wolfpack wrote:I was staying at a local inn, but.... i.... don't think i can find it. I will retire with you, but I must find some wizard to fix my eyeds and remove the demons curse.
"Yeah, and I need someone to do something about my finger. Although, to tell the truth, I kind a like it! How do ya think 'Burleson Blue Finger' sounds?"

He looks at his blue finger approvingly and then says, "Say Jervis, do ya think we should have stuck with the others? Where were they going anyway? I got so damned confused with all the back and forth at the haunted house that I weren't really paying attention."

Burleson Blue Finger sounds like you need better training with a war hammer.

I do not know where they went, the loss of my sight has me in some confusion as I don;t even know where I am. Although it would have been best fopr us to remain together in case of enemy attack.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Turning to Brother Tomas, "Thank you, Brother. May you always find gentle waters. As far as how we got into this debacle, well, we answered the Council's call for aid to exlore the old mansion on the outskirts of town. It was there that poor Jonas was stricken ill."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

Thank you, Brother. We apologize for disturbing you at this hour, but we were afraid our friend would die if we waited until morning. Again, thank you.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brother Tomas thinks for a moment about Keilifs words.

There are many things in this world that are dangerous to we of mere flesh and bone, my boy.

Perhaps it is best if this one stay here for tonight? I will have another acolyte watch over him till morning, just in case. You lot look terrible. Go and get a good nights rest and I will inform High Priest Wilfic of your situation in the morning. Come back then and we can see to any of your non life threatening issues.

He looks again to the young alter boy.

See these gentlefolk to the door so we can finish your evening lessons.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"Might one of our own stay here with young Jonas? Please do not take offense, good Tomas. I know he will be well taken care of here in the House of Shileil. I just think it might be best that one of us are here to explain to Jonas what has befallen him when he awakens. It might prove a comfort. I will keep vigil at his bedside, unless someone opposes."
Keilif is not paranoid of Brother Tomas per se, but he is leery about what might befall Jonas if left alone. He doesn't want to take any chances.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brother Tomas

Of course you can keep watch over your friend here. I don't care how many of you stay here tonight as long as you don't make a lot of noise or a mess. Take care to monitor his condition closely and let one of us know if he needs further help. Good night to you master Keilif.....and friends.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful nods at Keilif's suggestion, yes, the lad will find it a comfort once he wakes. In fact, I'll stay with you and we can take watch in shifts. That will allow you to get rest too.

But the druid mainly thinks it a good idea because he has seen how the townspeople react to the boy because of his strangeness. He is fearful of how the boy will be treated if left on his own- especially if he is in a weakened state. He shakes his head, this is why animals are better than people. No, Jonas will be safer under our eye. He has already proved his bravery and loyalty. We will take care of our own.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The temple room grows quiet again as the sleeping Jonas softly wheezes and dreams of chubby mermaids. Unfortunately, so far his condition hasn't seemed to abate much. Keilif watches over the boy carefully as Doubtful and Umrick discuss future plans. The time passes by slowly and Umrick gets restless, already set to return for the rest of the spoils from the dilapidated mansion.

Burly takes the job of caregiver and gets the still blinded Jervis across Saltmarsh to the Uptown Inn. The pair gets settled into Burly's room and the blue fingered mage goes about helping the visually challenged fighter out with all of the usually simple tasks of bathing and eating etc. It isn't long before the pair is sleeping comfortably and ready to take on whatever challenges the next day has to offer.

A trip to the temple to find the others again might be on the new mornings docket. Burly thinks that he remembers priests being able to cure all sorts of maladies. Perhaps they could help the poor blinded Jervis?

Ben is nowhere to be seen.

Lots of stuff going on in the private threads. As soon as that is cleared up, we can all advance to the morning.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:Umrick Histix

Unable to sleep, Umrick awakens during the night, slipping outside to sit and think. On the one hand, he wants to head back and at the very least, collect the plate mail, before any other smugglers may return. On the other hand, waiting for others so there is more strength in numbers seems to be a good idea as well. If only he could get some sort of sign...
The unwearied gnome steps outside for some air as Keilif and Doubtful rest, keeping a vigilant eye on their friend Jonas.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”