everyone back to the boat! nothing is coming it's a trick

jervis will grab ben and head to the boat

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

#222 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

We have to gather everyone before we can leave. Be ready to fire the second line once ALL of us are past.

Doubtful fears how quickly the hooligans will be able to douse that fire but rushes to attack Keilif's foe. He comes from the side, trying to flank and come in from a blind side and attacks with his club.

to hit [1d20] = 17 damage from club [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#223 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Relieved that Doubful has come to his aid, Keilif again takes another swing at the gnoll so that he and the others can make their escape.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Baker

"Parley? Now you want parley?" Burly spits, so mad he can hardly see straight. With a grunt of effort, he turns away from the bleeding smuggler and tries to take out the legs of the gnoll nearby...but is clearly not very successful.Staff attack: [1d20] = 4, [1d6] = 4
Winter is coming...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#225 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

Hearing the group planning on retreating, Umrick will withdraw from combat with the gnoll and try to make his way back to the others.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#226 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

To Umrick, Hang on there, guy! We're comin' to you next. Just don't turn your back to the pooch!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#227 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chaos in the Caves
Round 8

Jervis believes that the noise of footsteps advancing is a trick so he runs back out to grab up the prone Ben and begins carrying him back down towards the boat. Doubtful tries to call after him, telling him to wait. He doesn't listen.

Doubtful side charges the gnoll attacking Keilif. The priest misses but the druids club finds its mark, shattering the things right shoulder and foiling its attack. The druid then sees Umrick fleeing his melee. He calls after him, telling him to wait. He doesn't listen.

The gnoll follows Umrick, spearing him in the back as he flees. 5 dam He easily keeps up with the much shorter gnome, readying to strike from behind again.

Burly is disgusted by the actions of the defeated pirate when he smugly asks for parley. Foolishly, the mage doesn't simply finish him off right then and there. When he turns his back on the man to help his friend, the nearly dead smuggler reaches around for another crossbow that he had hidden away. He shoots Burly in the ass with a nearly point blank shot that almost sticks through to the front of his leg. 4 dam

With people running around everywhere and mass chaos looming in every direction, Jonas becomes thoroughly confused. He refuses to run away while others are still in trouble. He follows behind Doubtful and rushes to the aid of Burly when he hears him shout out in pain. He throws his fish gutting knife at the prone smuggler with the crossbow, but misses him badly.

The smoke begins to build up inside the cavern as a loud hissing and sputtering noise begins near the upper line of burning casks.

Actions!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (167.26 KiB) Viewed 197 times

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"We must be away from here!" Keilif calls out to his beleaguered companions.

Desperately trying to dispatch the wounded gnoll, he swings his mace with all of his might, but he hopelessly misses his adversary yet again.
To hit with Mace [1d20] = 3; Damage: [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

The dice roller has been exceptionally unkind to Keilif lately. ;)

Scott308

#229 Post by Scott308 »

As the gnome is attempting to back away from the gnoll, he hears his name called, causing him to turn slightly. Unfortunately for him, that was all it took for the gnoll to slip past his defenses.

I hadn't intended for Umrick to flee combat, but wasn't clear enough. Now, he will just have to kill all the bad guys.

Upon feeling the gnoll's steel bite into his flesh, Umrick digs deep within and finds a spark of rage. You had your chance to surrender. Now you shall die, flea-bitten curs! Gripping tightly the hilt of his sword, Umrick swings at the mangy dog-man with everything he has!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#230 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

We have to make it to the first fire line fast!

Doubtful attacks again to dispatch the gnoll in front of him and Keilif so they can then team up on the remaining villains and retreat.

to hit [1d20] = 15 damage from club [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Bleeding Baker

Burly howls like a dying dog and hops around, trying to stifle the pain. "Damn you to hell!" he curses at the smuggler who shot him.
Daffy_ass_shot_9726.jpg
Daffy_ass_shot_9726.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 186 times
"Couldn't have just laid there and pretended to be dead, could ya? You sneaky mother..." Burly bites off the end of what he was going to say as he grunts and jabs again at the man's face, hoping to tear it off with the end of his staff.
Staff attack: [1d20] = 11, [1d6] = 1
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#232 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chaos in the Caves
Round 9

Jervis finds it difficult to traverse the dark and slippery sloping passageways while carrying another man. He continues onward, slowly getting closer to the boat, as the battle screams grow quieter behind him. He sees nothing unusual along the way and notices no source of the footstep noises. It seems he was right about it being a trick after all.

Keilif and Doubtful continue their two on one attack. The druid lands a glancing blow on the same injured shoulder, again upsetting the gnolls attack on the battle challenged priest. It growls in pain but continues it assault.

Badly injured in mid retreat, Umrick begins to feel like he might be better off staying in the battle instead. He turns and sets his blade for the oncoming dogman. The dumb creature can't stop itself and is impaled on the huge sword of the little fighter. The beast squirms around for the last time as its black blood stains the rocky floor.

Burly and Jonas are easily able to finish off the prone ass shooter. Jonas goes in to retrieve his thrown blade, but gets a surprise when he turns around. The ugly black bat-like creature that attacked Ben suddenly appears on his shoulder. It swings its little rat tail around and lashes it against the fish mages neck. Jonas too falls forward straight to the floor, clearly unconscious, or worse.

Another loud sizzling sound extinguishes the wall of flames for good and the smell of smoke and hot seawater assails your senses. You expect to see a mob of men rushing in to wipe you out, but all you see is one more smuggler and one more gnoll pass through the sizzling mist. Behind them is a wiry looking man dressed in a strange blue robe. He has a shiny metal skull cap on and is twirling something weird around in the air over his head. It looks like a giant pulsating fishing lure secured onto the end of a short rope and it is making a strange humming sound as he enters the cavern. He shouts to get your attention.

"Looks like you boys don't know wether to run away or stand and fight! Didn't you at least discuss what you were going to do before you came bumbling in here?"

Since you have now killed most of my best men, if you throw down your weapons and stop fighting against us, I may consider hiring you on as new recruits!

His last pair of his men at arms say nothing. The two stare straight ahead as they continue to advance towards you.

Actions!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (801.89 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Scott308

#233 Post by Scott308 »

The gnome sighs upon seeing the mage. Hmmpf. After what your men did to me, Sand Belly, I've no intention of joining your side. However, if you all surrender now and come quietly with us back to town to stand trial, we will not kill you. The gnome advances towards the newly arrived gnoll. This morning, I knew I was going to die today, so I prepared myself for my fate. However, if I die now, it will be as a free man, not trapped in a cage. I think that would be a very good death, so I do not fear it. And I definitely do not fear the dog you have working for you. As he speaks, he turns to speak to the gnoll directly. Hlúpy pes! Nemal by si byť starostlivosť o mláďatá, namiesto servírovaní tohto človeka? Čas zomrieť ako váš súrodenci, psisko!

Without waiting to hear a response since he knows what it will be, when Umrick gets close enough, he unleashes an attack on the gnoll.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by wolfpack »

dropping ben outside the cave Jervcis rushes back in to the others (let me know if he is able to rush in and atack this round or if I just get back)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Doubtful is sick to his stomach at how this keeps getting worse. They'll never make it out of this cave. I wonder what Shoo-Fly is doing right now. Umrick is right- we can't trust this lot. They already spilled one of our boys all over the landing upstairs in that house. If only they could get back to be able to fire the first fire line he had prepared. We can't even make a run for it because I won't leave Jonas behind. We may be the only friends the little fish man has.

Doubtful snags one of the dried apple slices from his pack and keeps it in his hand to be able to toss when needed. He casts shillelagh on his club and attacks (the man in the blue robe if he can dodge the others, one of the henchman if not), screeching at the top of his lungs: You will never get our fish!!!!!

shillelagh spell club attack to hit [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3, damage [2d4] = 6 :roll:

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif does not even consider joining forces with these freebooters. He swings his mace again with hopes that Shilel will guide his hand true.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#237 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Good ol' Burly
Round 10

The ever shifting tides of this battle continue to rage as the party starts to realize that fighting might be their only way out. One by one the members show their inexperience in battle.

Umrick shouts out at the enemy before taking on the charging gnome, he fails to injure it, but his size advantage pays off again when he is also missed.

Kelief also trades meaningless blows with the wounded gnoll battling him. He has no intentions of joining up with these thieving degenerates.

Doubtful withdraws from his fight, leaving Keilif to fend for himself. The druid rushes at the man in the blue robes, but is intercepted by a smuggler. He lands an unsuccessful blow and in turn is scratched slightly by the smugglers blade. 2 dam Doubtful ponders how they got into this situation in the first place. After witnessing several failed attacks so far, he wonders to himself, If only one of the fighters had a way to magically improve their fighting skills.

Jervis dumps Ben off by the cave entrance and races back up the tunnel. Ben wakes up shortly after Jervis leaves him, he wonders how he got himself into this mess. Jervis gets back too late to attack, but arrives just in time to see Burly save the day again.

The so called Sanbalet steps forward, still twirling his strange device over his head. The bizarre noise it is giving off is beginning to irritate your ears. He shouts out at you again as he spins the device even faster.

That's what I thought you would say! Oh well, I tried. Now Boys!

As he says this, his men all cover their eyes with their arms simultaneously. The device begins to flare up with shooting colors and bright lights, turning the dark cave into an explosion of varying light waves. The noise is beginning to enthrall each of you and you can't seem to stop staring at the pretty flashing lights. Everyone begins to drool a little as they watch the device spin.

Ignoring it all is Burly, who had been watching the bat like creature since it dropped Jonas. His eyes followed it steadily as it tried to fly back towards the pile of contraband. With his back to the twirling Master Trickster the whole time, Burly swings out with his staff like a kid trying to hit a round rock with a stick. He connects perfectly, swatting the black creature hard and sending it splattering up against the cave wall.

Instantly Sanbalet falls to his knees and drops his hypnotic inducing device. You all snap out of your funk and shake off the need to make a saving throw. Sanbalet clutches at his chest as if he himself took damage. He shouts out again in a rage.

What have you done? How could you do this to me? Kill them! Kill them all!!!

Actions!

positions:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (639.04 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Some original art from the module. It doesn't look much like our battle, though. :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (780.94 KiB) Viewed 158 times

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by wolfpack »

raising his sword and shield Jervis lets out a battle cry and at a full charge goes after the blue mage.

[1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11
(I believe a charge gives a +2 to hit correct? so it would be a 13)

damage [1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8

Scott308

#239 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Pacifist

Still locked in combat, Umrick keeps trying to find a weakness in the gnoll's defense. Unfortunately, he has been unable to do so to this point.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#240 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

I must get to this spellcaster fast. What on earth happened to break his glamour and hurt him? Doubtful swings on the smuggler blocking his way, desperate to be done with the minion before him and get to the real threat. Pelor, I swore to you (and that damned city council) to keep these boys safe. Let me fall if need be but help me get these boys back safely to the boat!

shillelagh spell club attack to hit [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10, damage [2d4] = 4

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”