[1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: 3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

#143 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chaos at the Cave Mouth
Round 2

The battle rages on as the group goes into an all out attack mode. Jervis, Alec, and Burly continue thrashing at the smuggler nearest the cave mouth, but none of them are able to land a solid blow. The man draws his sword and prepares for the worst. Knowing full well that he is in big trouble and completely unable to escape, he retaliates with a sword slash aimed at Burly. With the fear of certain death being inevitable if he doesn't succeed, his broadsword finds its mark and cuts a deep gash in the baking mage's upper arm. 4 dam

Umrick races towards the fight and sees Jonas soon following his lead. Neither of them are able to make it to the others with enough time to attack, but they do arrive to find the cave mouth to be a bit crowded at the moment.

Doubtful and Keilif have much better luck in their skirmish, violently knocking the second smuggler to the ground before he even gets to attack one of them. Doubtful looks down further into the tunnel to see the shadowy form of Ben rushing from his hiding spot towards the lit up bend in the tunnel. He throws his spear as he rushes out of sight again. The shrill sound of a loud whistle begins to ring through the cave complex.

Actions!

map:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (913.21 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Alec 6/10
Jervis 11/11
Jónas 6/6
Keilif 9/9
Doubtful 10/10
Burly 2/6
Ben 6/6
Umrick 11/11

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif

Hoping that the others can handle the smuggler at the entrance, Keilif looks at Doubtful and gestures to where Ben has disappeared from view, "Shall we move up to see what hell we have awakened?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Bleeding Baker

Burly howls as his arm spurts blood, staggering backward, trying to get away from the bandit's broadsword. "Kill him Jervis!" he says, blinking back tears of pain as he attempts to staunch the blood flow.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Speaking to Keilif, I want to help the others but Ben is the one alone right now so he needs us more. From the howls I think Burly needs attention from one of us and soon. Help me tie the rope here low as a tripwire where it is least likely to be seen. We will fetch Ben and then run back this way so as to show him where to jump. That should hopefully give us a momentary advantage...maybe. Here, let's drag this bastard's body and lay him right around the corner for another thing to trip them when they come a-runnin'.

After quickly tying a tripwire, Doubtful grabs something in the hallway (light enough to throw, heavy or dangerous enough to worry someone in its path) to throw as a distraction when they encounter more hooligans. I wish Shoo-Fly were here now. A screeching, clawed kitty comin' flyin' at you through the air? Hoo-boy! It'd be runnin' down your legs then! And I know! Once he has something to throw and has placed the dead body strategically, Doubtful peeks around the corner to see if he can spot Ben.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif helps Doubtful with his preparations then follows him up the passageway to check on Ben.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#148 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

If he can get through, Umrick will dash past the group at the mouth of the cave, trying to find the group that went inside. If he is not able to squeeze through the logjam, he will attack smuggler #1. Whenever Umrick does get inside the cave, he will make sure to keep an eye out for his missing sword.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by wolfpack »

Seeing Burly injured Jarvis redoubles his efforts.

You will pay with your life brigand scum

init: [1d10] = 7
hit: [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15
damage: [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Urson »

Initiative [1d10+1] = 7+1 = 8
attack [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16
sword [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

Alec slashes at the bandit.

him I can take. Go help our comrade.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#151 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chaos at the Cave Mouth
Round 3

As the third smuggler blows his whistle and runs away, Ben rushes ahead to retrieve his spear. In the larger chamber filled with contraband, he sees a few hammocks attached to the walls, indicating that there may be even more smugglers living in here than you had first anticipated. He sees the smuggler run from the room and disappear into another tunnel leading to the north. Ben thinks better about following him alone so he rejoins the others.

Doubtful and Keilif try in vain to tie up a trip wire to the rough rock walls and then drag the dead body up to the point just past the first bend. They meet up with Ben who makes a very good suggestion about turning the boat around in case they need to make a quick get away. Doubtful makes a suggestion as well, unfortunately he left his mangy cat back on the farm.

The now bleeding baker freaks out about being nearly mortally wounded and backs himself away from the fight as the others press the attack. Jervis is then able to move up a little, allowing the gnome to get in an attack as well. The little fella misses with his swing but Jervis and Alec are able to put a little hurting on the smuggler. Not enough to kill him, but enough to spoil his sword slash at the ever gallant young man with the bowl cut hairdo.

Jonas remains outside the cave entrance. Unable to get in any closer to attack someone, he does the next best thing and stands guard, watching for any possible invasions from the water or from the high cliff tops, about 70' above his head.

Some of the party members anticipate an all out attack force to rush them anytime now. However, after only a few more whistles that emanate from deep within the cave complex, no other sights or sound is heard coming at them for the time being.

Actions!

positions:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (737.76 KiB) Viewed 283 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Bleeding Baker

Dismayed over the near death experience, Burly all but forgets about the damage to his new coat...until he remembers it. Pain and anger can be a dangerous mix, but the baker turned magic-user only wracks his brain for some type of cantrip that could mend the coat.
When Ben arrives, he asks, "How many more did you see up in the tunnel?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Heeding the advice of Ben, Keilif makes his way back to the boat, "I suggest that we get this thing turned around and facing back toward the sea in case we have more company than we can accommodate..." He begins to push the craft, hoping that others will soon join him.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#154 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Doubtful suggests to Ben, You can attack that bandit from behind so we can finish him. Looks like Keilif is getting our escape ready. Holing both of the two remaining boats should discourage pursuit if it comes to that. I want to see about discouraging pursuit from this end. Hopefully the rest of you can rejoin me once the bandit and boats are taken care of. I'd hate for this to be all our scouting mission gets us.

Doubtful examines the casks in the first bend of the tunnel, hoping for flammable liquids. He considers caltrops in the area right after the bend in case of pursuit but will hold off on this for now. He listens carefully for any sounds of incoming bandits. If all seems well, he will creep toward the next section of crates, casks.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by wolfpack »

Unrelenting, jervis moves in to finish on the smuggler.

init;[1d10] = 2
hit:[1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21
damage:[1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

I don't remember what a natural 20 does but I think this may finsh him

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#156 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

The gnome will continue to attack the smuggler if he still lives. If not, he will enter the mouth of the cave and try to find his sword (and any of the rest of his gear).
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben offers "I didn't see anyone except some hammocks!" He moves to help turn the boat around...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Urson »

IF The smuggler is still a threat, Alec will attack again. otherwise, he'll move to protect the guys moving the boat.

Initiative [1d10+1] = 1+1 = 2
attack [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6

... never mind...
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#159 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Cave of Chaos
Round 4

Burly gets angry about the cut in his brand new coat as Ben returns to the group. The sailor mentions that he didn’t see anything except the whistle blower and some hammocks hanging along the walls. Keilif recruits them both to help him spin the boat around for a quick departure, just in case things go south.

Jervis gets that look in his eyes again as he tries to eliminate another demon smuggler. He remembers one particular move that the militia members who recently trained him told him never to use. He holds his ax out in front of him and takes a step back, opening himself up for an attack, but then he swings around in a circle with all of his strength. Luckily, his horizontal guillotine passes directly over the heads of the 2 shorter party members still in the fight. The blade lands perfectly at the base of the man’s skull, chopping his head completely off. Blood spurts from his neck stump for a moment before the headless smuggler falls forward with the emotions of a felled tree.

Alec tries to avoid the blood rain while keeping an eye out for any more threats as he helps Ben and Keilif spin the boat around. Umrick looks around for any more of his lost gear, but he finds nothing that looks like his.

Doubtful shouts for the others to destroy the boats, forgetting that one of them is theirs. He skulks up closer to the bend in the tunnel where Ben was just hiding. He finds that the stacks of casks contain brandy, just like the one found in the basement of the house. He hears and sees no threats, so he moves a little further into the well lit cavern with the hammocks that Ben saw. In here there is an even larger pile of the same contraband. Bolts of silk and casks of brandy line one wall of the cavern, as if they were stacked there in haste. The 3 hammocks are empty so the druid takes a closer look at them as well. He spots clumps of fur stuck in some of the meshing, possibly proving the gnomes theory from earlier.

There is no longer any sound of commotion or whistling coming from further up the damp, torch lit tunnel. The druid sees and hears absolutely nothing in the way of noises coming towards them. In fact, the whole cave complex seems eerily silent at the moment.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by wolfpack »

jervis runs further into the tunnel to where the advance group is. Shield up and sword in hand.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”