3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

#21 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben suggests, "perhaps we drop off a few people here that can sneak around and see what is behind that outcropping while some of us sail around and provide a distraction? They must not see us directly or that gnome would have alerted them."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jonas tires of the indecision of the group. He takes out his little green marble and pops it into his mouth.

I will be right back with the answers we seek.

With that, the fishy looking boy drops into the water with almost no noise from the splash. He quickly disappears into the depths of the sea.

You can just barely make out his form deep under the water as he heads around the outcropping and vanishes from your sight.

The caged gnome looks on with a great deal of interest and trepidation. He looks to those that remain in the boat, continuing to point at the padlock.

He whispers. What the heck is wrong with you people? Get me the hell outta this thing will ya? Are you working with the smugglers or just trying to get yourselves killed?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Mant72 »

Is Keilif close enough to the lock on the cage to strike it with his mace? If so, he does just that to help release the gnome.

To hit with Mace [1d20] = 1; Damage: [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 Oh...my...god. Hopefully Keilif was too far away... :shock:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#24 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif swings at the lock with his beautiful new mace. The gnome inside the cage can't believe his eyes when this.......... man.... tries to give up their location by making an incredibly loud noise.

Fortunately, or should I say unfortunately, even though you are very close to the cage, the boat rocks just at the last second, knocking Keilif off balance. Instead of the loud sound of metal striking metal, the only sound made is the quick splash of the newly appointed priests mace dropping into the water, presumably sinking to the bottom of the sea floor.

I wish there was a "shaking your head in disbelief" emoji. :lol:

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

The now weaponless cleric stares over the edge of the boat and into the depths in disbelief, "I...I...I felt there was a sense of urgency. Damn my impetuousness! Shiliel must desire such a beautiful weapon for herself..." The disheartened cleric slowly sinks down onto his seat with his head in his hands.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben stares at Keilif with a deadpan expression and says nothing. Seeing the gnome pop into the water with some semblance of a plan he gives an order here or there to keep the boat in place. He'll keep an eye on the caged gnome for any sign of alert.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The caged gnome rolls his eyes again and whispers softly.

Oh for fox sake! Do any of ya know how to pick a lock or what? Ain't you got a thief in yer crew?

He is too desperate to laugh at the priests recent predicament.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben asks of the gnome, "perhaps we can get you ought of there - what PUT you there in the first place? what can you tell us about this place and the smugglers??"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

A look of horror passes across Doubtful's face when he sees the beautiful mace fall into the sea. Shaking his head in pity for the cleric he says nothing. The next time Keilif looks his way, Doubtful gestures with his staff to offer it to the young man if he wishes.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif raises his hand to politely refuse Doubtful's offer to borrow his staff, "No thank you, Master Doubtful." He then stands and looks out at the sea, "It is Shiliel's will. She will provide as she sees fit." He turns to the others, "Now, as the good gnome mentioned, can anyone here deal with the lock?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After a few minutes, Jonas pops his head back up out of the water. He also has his finger pressed tightly to his lips as he emerges from the depths.

He whispers quietly. Shhhhhh. There is one guard sitting on some roughly carved steps on the other side of this rocky outcropping. The steps lead from a hidden cove up to that cage. There is a small beach just on the other side as well that leads up into a natural cave complex. Do not speak or make too much noise. That guard looked up at the cage a couple of times while I watched him. Were you guys making noise or something?

The fishy lad looks on the long face of Keilif, wondering why he is so bummed out.

If we can take out or at least silence that guard, we should be able to get the boat around to that little hidden beach. Then we should be able to get in there unannounced.

Did I miss anything out here?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by hedgeknight »

"Yeah, you missed this knuckle head here trying to capsize us!" Burly jerks a thumb at Keilif, scowling. "I bet the guard has the key to the cage. I can put him to sleep...I think...and then we can free the gnome. Hey Gnome! How many are your captors?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif furrows his brow at Burly, "No need for disparaging remarks, brother. I was trying to help."

Then looking extremely embarrassed, Keilif reluctantly explains his foolish actions to Jonas. "I acted rashly and felt the need to move with haste in helping to free this man here," he gestures to the caged gnome and continues, “I thought the waves might cover up the sound if I struck the lock, and while attempting to do so, my mace slipped from my grasp and into the waves below."

The young acolyte suddenly brightens as a shred of hope enters his mind. He eagerly inquires, "Master Jonas, might it be possible to ask you to swim below to see if you can spot my lost weapon?" He waits expectantly for the half-elf's response.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Urson »

I am no thief, but i have learned a ting or two about locks. If you can keep me steady, I will try to open the lock.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis looks confused at Jonas.

How is it you are able to swim underwater like a fish without air?

As for the guard, if there is a way to come around to surprise him I can slay him.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Burly, could you climb up there and then make the guard fall asleep? Then Alec could climb up and work on that lock. Anyone who climbs up there, just make sure you aren't visible to anyone on the beach or the cave behind it.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by hedgeknight »

"I got this," Burly says with a confident nod to Doubtful. He then opens one of his belt pouches and takes out a pinch of some fine powder. "Hot Rise," he says quietly...and he magically begins to rise into the air. He rises just high enough to see over the edge of the outlook.
As his companions watch, he removes a small handful of sand from a pocket in his robe. As the sand falls through his fingers, he breathes the words of a newly learned spell...in hopes of putting the guard to sleep.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#38 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The caged gnome seems confused by all of this and doesn't answer any of your questions.

Jonas responds to Jervis with a smile as he bobs up and down in the water. He sticks his tongue out to show off the green marble in his mouth.

Well my dear Jervis. Unlike you, I don't wander around with magic items on me unless I know what they can do. He looks at the dagger on the young fighters belt before disappearing again below the surface.

Burly takes matters into his own hands. He employs one of granny's old cantrips that boosts him up and out onto the cliff wall. He spots the guard that Jonas and the gnome warned about. He is sitting on some roughly carved steps just on the other side of the wall, looking out to sea. The guard must be very bored as he seems to be talking to himself.

Burly blows some sand at him and, for the first time ever in his short career as a wizard, he puts an adversary to sleep simply by using his magic. If only old granny Sword could see him now.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly > Fledgling Wizard

Seeing the guard fall asleep thrills Burly to his toes! He eases himself down upon the rocky outcropping near the cage and turns to his companions. "I did it! Great day in the morning!" he says in a sort of hushed, gleeful shout, barely able to contain himself.
"Come quick! I don't know how long he will sleep. Sir Gnome > I am Burleson. It's a pleasure to meet you. I will ask you again, how many are your captors? And what did you do to be put in that cage?"
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben agrees with the questioning. "You're in there for a reason, eh, squib? Some quick answers if you please and we will release you - if we please...."

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”