Hordlings!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hordlings!

#1 Post by rredmond »

& Magazine's next issue is "Not Demons, Nor Devils":
See upcoming topics here: http://www.and-mag.com/submissions/upco ... ne-themes/

We're looking to create hordlings, creatures of the lower planes that aren't the big-bads like Demons or Devils. Some folks have used the APPENDIX D: CREATURES FROM THE LOWER PLANES from the DMG, some have created hordlings using the Monster Manual II random table. Is suggested adding in the Harlot table of the DMG to add in some fun - but was reminded to keep it PG-13 :D - though I think Slovenly Tr(o)ll would be a funny hordling.

I figure you all would be a great bunch of folks to see about getting creative in this area. Even if you just wanted to roll up some hordlings to stat them out and describe them. Many (appropriate) hordlings will end up in the next issue of & Mag (with appropriate author credits) and if we have a major overflow, then we may reference a page on our website to host the rest of them - we try to keep the Mag in a manageable page limit :D

Anyone interested in tackling the creation of a hordling or two?

Thanks,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Hordlings!

#2 Post by Starbeard »

Sounds like a lot of fun, count me in. I will set aside a portion of the old noggin to think up an unseemly fiend or two.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'd be in if not for only thinking up things that already exist. :?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Norjax »

What's the deadline?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Norjax wrote:What's the deadline?
I think the & Editing crew would like stuff in within the next two weeks. But if it turns out we get a bunch, then we can create a link to a hordling doc on the & Publishing Group site that can be updated even after the publication of Issue 15 :D

Looking forward to what folks come up with!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rukellian »

Here is my submission!
Wuchak:
Lower Plane Demon (Hordling)

Among the weakest of their kind, these furry demons bare a close resemblance to the forest woodchuck, if woodchucks had small gnarly black horns, red glowing eyes, and actually chucked wood. Don't let its small and fuzzy demeanor fool you, it's burrowing and wood chucking tendencies are to be feared and loathed, especially if you encounter the Wuchak in groups! Their bites can be sharp, but you need not worry unless you are made of wood or are carrying lots of it. Because of the Wuchak's fondness for eating wood, they can be easily bribed and tamed by low-class summoners of all stripes, and if controlled or baited, can wreak havoc on a foe's forested lands! Bring wooden equipment at your own risk...

Strength is standard. They may be struck with normal missiles and by normal weapons. They can burrow through soft earth.

FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 10-30
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVE: 6" / (8")
HIT DICE: 1-6 hit points
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ ATTACK: 1-4
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See above
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50%
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral Evil
SIZE: S
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

I couldn't find an image that would do the Wuchak justice, but yeah, it's an evil woodchuck with horns and glowy red eyes. ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Nice! Thanks Ruke!
--Ron--
PS: I may be requesting your "author credentials" by PM :)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'm too late, I know, but I just wanted to point out that Matt Finch's Tomb of Adventure Design has an excellent system for creating hordling type monsters.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Actually not too late. We are just about finishing the article. But I’ll have to check that out. Matt Finch puts out some rocking stuff!
Ever create a hordling with that tool?
Thanks!
—Ron—

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry it's taken me so long to get something together. If you still need another Lower Planes creature even though it's past the deadline, I've got one. It wasn't written using Appendix D though, I just made it up with my own imagination.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Absolutely! Please do post it. And let me know (by PM if it’s more comfortable) what the author credit should be. :)
Thanks! They’re only just editing the next issue, so they may be able to still get some in. But there’s an idea too, to reference a static page on our website of hordlings and maybe a hordling WM table of sorts. Should be fun,
—Ron—

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Thanks for this interesting opportunity, Ron.

Sorry I've been slammed and unable to throw in so far.

The concept I had was around the Seven Deadly Sins. Found in the upper reaches of Hell, these demonlings are the condemned, tortured and unrepentant souls of mortals who sinned greatly in life.

These deranged, wretched hellions appear as shrunken, amorphous, half-realized humans with hairless, melting, dripping flesh.

Stat-wise, they are as per Goblins, with exceptions noted below:
  • Attack: No weapons. One attack per turn with spiteful claws for 1d6 damage.

Number Appearing: The horde's size should be approximately double the party's total levels (ie: if the PCs’ levels total 20, then ~40 hordlings should appear in one encounter. They are a horde after all). Their battle tactics are to mob the PCs, surrounding them so 25% will be striking at a PC's back and 50% at a flank.

Size: 3 feet tall. Being small and without melee weapons, they can fight four abreast in a 10' wide corridor. If they completely surround a PC, up to 8 can attack that PC at once.
There are seven different types:
  • A furious horde of demonlings that are filled with unending Wrath and want only to kill the PCs. They have the special abilities and weaknesses of Berserkers.

A jealous horde of demonlings consumed by unrelenting Envy. Won't attack to do damage. Instead each will use their action to steal one of the PC's visible, valuable possessions if they make a successful hit. Any that successfully "hits" and steals an item will then flee, taking it back to the horde's lair.

A rapacious horde of demonlings infected with bottomless Greed. Same as Envy, but will only steal coins, jewelry and gems.

A ravenous horde of demonlings afflicted with insatiable Gluttony. Halve movement, and double hit points, due to gross obesity. Same as Envy, but will only steal food and drink. Instead of returning to lair, will eat or drink the stolen goods immediately. Then they will steal more because their hunger can never be sated. If a PC has no food or water, these hordlings will bite them for 1d6 damage.

A lazy horde of demonlings overcome with eternal Sloth. They don't fight. They only sleep or try to sleep. If forced to act, they always move last in a round. Mortals in their proximity (within 2") for 2 rounds must Save vs Spells or sleep as per the spell. Being in proximity for 4 rounds requires another save, as does 6 rounds, 8 rounds, etc.

An arrogant horde suffering from unbending Pride. They never surrender, retreat or check morale.

The demonlings deranged by unquenchable Lust aren't for family friendly games. :)
More than one type can be encountered at once, for example: Wrath and Envy. Encountering all seven at once could be interesting. The ‘number appearing’ is the total number, regardless of the amount of different types.

Each type’s specific sin is their fatal weakness. They can be manipulated by their obsession.

That's the basic idea.
Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Hey I appreciate this one Inferno... I got one through PM that kinda seems like it might be the starts of a larger article :) instead of hordlings that can go on a Wandering Monster table. This seems similar.

I dig the ideas and write up and am going to fly it past the senior editors. Please PM me how you'd like to be credited, if you'd like something different than Inferno from Unseen Servant :D

Thanks,
--Ron--

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Thanks, Ron. PM sent. :)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

One more question, can these hordling types mix? That would certainly make ones like Envy, Greed and Sloth more dangerous. :)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

Yes they can: :)
Inferno wrote: More than one type can be encountered at once, for example: Wrath and Envy. Encountering all seven at once could be interesting.
That said, they're meant for lower level PCs.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

D'oh!
Gotcha, thanks! :)
--Ron--

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

rredmond wrote:Absolutely! Please do post it. And let me know (by PM if it’s more comfortable) what the author credit should be. :)
Thanks! They’re only just editing the next issue, so they may be able to still get some in. But there’s an idea too, to reference a static page on our website of hordlings and maybe a hordling WM table of sorts. Should be fun,
—Ron—
Here's what I had: this is a more detailed version of a creature type that I simply made up on the spot and threw at my players one day, since I felt like giving them something a bit more flavourful than a mere ghoul. They have since become an iconic staple of our B/X campaign setting.

STAR GHOULS
FREQUENCY: Rare
NO. APPEARING: 2-20
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVE: 6”
HIT DICE: 6HD
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6/1-6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Paralysation, see below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 90%
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: CN
SIZE: L
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Star ghouls are ancient beings both infernal and alien, existing in a stuporous limbo between the Lower, Negative and Astral Planes. These otherworldly beings are vaguely human in appearance, but very thin and grotesquely tall (appearing between 7’ and 12’ at will), as though their bones had been stretched well beyond normal proportions on a torturing rack. They can see through solid matter and may use mass suggestion on 1-6 creatures per turn, both to a range of 6”. Being sloth-like in movement, star ghouls always lose initiative; however, being utterly silent and with bodies that almost entirely absorb rather than reflect light, they are excellent stalkers and surprise on a 1-5. Their light-absorbent bodies will suck heat from the room they are in, making the air deathly chill, but their incomprehensible nature precludes this evidence from allowing the party to avoid being surprised, even if they can guess that star ghouls are present.

Their bodies are made of matter that sits somewhere between material flesh, shadow, and astral space, allowing them to treat all damage dice as though they rolled 1’s, unless the damage source is explicitly holy in nature. They can be turned by clerics as other undead, but always require a roll of 16 or better regardless of the cleric’s level.

Star ghouls attack by reaching out with their spindly arms, which can stretch or bend geometric laws to reach enemies up to 6” away, dealing 1-6 damage per touch and forcing a save vs paralysation. The greatest weapon of the star ghouls, however, is their gaze. The only distinguishing feature of their expressionless faces are their eyes, two sunken holes of blackness that shine with pinpoints of starlight; victims who fail a save vs spells when looking into their eyes will become entranced by the starlight, seeing within them the entirety of the cosmos. Characters so entranced will proceed toward the star ghoul mindlessly and allow the star ghoul to embrace them, draining one level of energy every round until they are dead.

They are immune to sleep, charm, and fear effects.

Even though star ghouls are always partially present in their home planes, they may appear in other planes with reduced power. When appearing on other planes, they lose 2HD, have only 70% immunity to magic, and all damage from non-holy attacks will do half damage. On the Prime Material Plane they lose an additional 2HD, have but 40% immunity, take half-damage from all non-holy attacks, move at 3” and have an AC of 3.

The origins of star ghouls are shrouded entirely in mystery, though when encountered on the Prime Material Plane they tend to inhabit the most ancient underground tombs and catacombs.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

Thanks Sean. I’ll forward this on!
Sorry all been afk. Got a great opportunity to take the family to Florida. The oldest (my 16yo) is checking out Embry Riddle tomorrow. Her eventual goal is to get a PhD in astrophysics then go to outer space then worry about marriage and babies and stuff. She killed the PSATs and is on track to graduate HS with an Associates in Applied Physics so... pretty good chance her plan will succeed. :D anytime my girls say they want to be a social worker like daddy I keep telling them doctors can do a lot of good in this world, and have more money! Not the kind of doctor I meant though. :lol:

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Starbeard »

Wow, you must be one proud dad. Just take a deep breath and remind yourself that astrophysics isn't the most foolish PhD she could be interested in: she could be going into the humanities!

Return to “General Discussion”