Thought 'bubbles'

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Thought 'bubbles'

#1 Post by Urson »

You already have a gadget to designate dialog with a specific color. I often see people posting internal discussions or random PC thoughts. Have you considered a 'thought' style box in a different color?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Thought 'bubbles'

#2 Post by rredmond »

That’s an interesting idea. Did you mean a post button that provides a standardized color like dialog?
Or one that provides a hidden text box
like spoiler?
Or the open text box like “quote”
Ron is thinking that wrote:This is a neat idea.
Or something else?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Urson »

The post button, actually. I've seen plenty of 'spoiler' boxes used for thoughts, and it's a perfectly valid system. But....
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ChubbyPixie »

This is a good idea. But which color...??? :) (Hint: not this one.)
Also, when posting “thoughts,” I find italics (along with the color change) helps to set them off as such.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

I think this hasn't been done before because, from a functional gaming point of view, posting internal dialog or mental conflict/thoughts is good for fleshing out your own character, but it's really not terribly useful in an RPG environment unless another character has ESP or has just cast an ESP spell.

You could post 1 page or 10 pages of internal dialog or a character's thoughts on a given situation, and the end result is the same - no other character can react or reply to any of it or even acknowledge those thoughts as having been made. To do so would be META gaming.

So even as "character development", it has limited value, because the only person who benefits from that character development is the character itself.

As a DM, I would encourage minimal use (or zero use) of internal dialog/conflict because it does nothing to move the game along. It is neither action nor spoken word, therefor nobody can react to it.

Example: http://itispitchdark.blogspot.com/2011/ ... t-two.html

I would also encourage not using white text on a black background, though I understand this specific site uses that format for thematic purposes...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Suggestions”