Dice roller functionality... subtraction?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dice roller functionality... subtraction?

#1 Post by drpete »

Ok, so by preference, I like to set up attack macros so they spit out the AC you hit. Like if your THAC0 is 10, roll [1d20-10] to get the AC you hit.

This works fine for ascending AC, but I can seem to do it for descending AC... if thac0 is 19, I can't do [19-1d20].

I also see that I can do [2d6k1] to select the higher of 2 d6 rolls, but there's no macro command to select the lower die roll. I thought about [7-2d6k1] but ran into the first problem I mentioned.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can totally work around this, but wonder if it's an easy thing to add, or if I'm missing a trick?

Eta: Kicking it around a bit, I see I can do one operation... add or subtrace a constant, or multiply by a constant. What I was looking for could be done by allowing multiple modifiers, muliply, then add, for example, but this gives an error.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dice roller functionality... subtraction?

#2 Post by ToniXX »

drpete wrote:This works fine for ascending AC, but I can seem to do it for descending AC... if thac0 is 19, I can't do [19-1d20].
Doing this is going to be tough because the system is based on the 'XdY (1d20)' part being first in an expression.
drpete wrote:I also see that I can do [2d6k1] to select the higher of 2 d6 rolls, but there's no macro command to select the lower die roll.
Where would you use such functionality?

I could probably implement this. The command would have to be represented by a letter other than the ones in use: c, k, r, and s. And if I were to try to implement it, what letter for the command would be appropriate?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

I see what you mean with the expression, I think. I guess I would be 100% satisfied if you could both add AND multiply, instead of only one. Even if it was in a strict order like [1d20x-1+20] (pass the string to an interpreter that strips off a modifier, then passes it back through the interpreter again, or something...)

The lowest N dice thing came up in trying to implement macros for weapon damage in Blueholme... Light weapons are lowest of 2d6, normal weapons are d6, heavy weapons are highest of 2d6. Two of those were easy. It would also be what you'd use for a 5e "disadvantage" mechanic.

As far as what letter, at first I thought the inverse of "k", but that would be "d" I guess, so maybe "l" for lowest? If it's a huge pain, it's easy enough to work around.

savoylen
Squire
Squire

#4 Post by savoylen »

Did this get implemented? This would solve me Alternity-style roll question I posted earlier.
If I could roll 1d20 - (or +) 1d6 (or some other dice roll)

Return to “Suggestions”