Global absences thread?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Global absences thread?

#1 Post by Zhym »

Would it make sense to have a thread, not attached to any particular game, where people could announce that they'd be away from the forums for a while? Right now, we do that in each game we play in or DM. That works fine except that some of us who don't know when enough is enough need to do that in half a dozen different places (at least). Sometimes when you are going to be away you barely have time to log in and say you don't have time to make updates, let alone do it several times. Also, when people are in multiple games together, it means seeing a lot of repeated away-from-game messages. If there were one thread, we could just post there and, assuming everyone saw new posts, rely on that as notification of game absences.

What do you think?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Global absences thread?

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Half a dozen? HA!

This is a great idea Zhym!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Great idea and ha half a dozen I have a player in mind for that reference ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

I suppose the main argument against this would be that it puts the burden on the GM to check that thread to see if any of their players have posted an absence.

You couldn't count on just checking the name of the last person to post in that thread to see if you needed to read it; if you hadn't been on the forum for two days, there could have been multiple posters.

Just throwing out the counter-point.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

That's a good point. I see DM usage of that thread being on an as-needed basis. If a DM is waiting on a player, he or she could check the thread. Or, even more easily, go to the player's profile and use "Show user's posts." The top result ought to be an AFG message if there is one.

But it would be more work for DMs to see AFG notices in a global thread instead of one in his or her game.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I suppose maybe like with email and "OUT OF OFFICE" status for players maybe? Except call it vacation mode or i d k something that indicates to other players and DM's that the person is out and won't be returning until specified time or something. But yes the counter point makes sense as well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:That's a good point. I see DM usage of that thread being on an as-needed basis. If a DM is waiting on a player, he or she could check the thread. Or, even more easily, go to the player's profile and use "Show user's posts." The top result ought to be an AFG message if there is one.

But it would be more work for DMs to see AFG notices in a global thread instead of one in his or her game.
All of those options put the onus on the GM to figure out something that the player is responsible for doing.

Again, just offering a counterpoint.

Ultimately, it would be up to the GMs of all the games you participate in. If they are willing to check threads and user posts every time they're waiting for a player to respond, then it might work. But there could be GMs out there who expect the player to post the appropriate message in their game thread.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by AleBelly »

I wonder if we couldn't do something with our avatar to show that we're out. And in the crudest implementation, the admins wouldn't need to change anything. Just make a .jpg or .png that says AFK until xx/xx and use that until you return from vacation.

Edit: Or, I'm wondering if it's possible to put a list of those AFK near the bottom of the home page where the "currently online" section is. The GM wouldn't have to click on a thread and the information would be readily available.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Interesting idea. An even better implementation, IMO, would be to have an "away from table" field in the profile that could be displayed with all the other stuff in the right hand pane of a message with the time zone, real name, etc. But I'm guessing that's more work than creating a thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Or when players are going to be away for a while, they could just set their signatures to contain a message to that effect.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by ToniXX »

AleBelly wrote:r, I'm wondering if it's possible to put a list of those AFK near the bottom of the home page where the "currently online" section is. The GM wouldn't have to click on a thread and the information would be readily available.
This would require special coding, changing the forum code itself. It's an option, but not an easy one.
Zhym wrote:An even better implementation, IMO, would be to have an "away from table" field in the profile that could be displayed with all the other stuff in the right hand pane of a message with the time zone, real name, etc. But I'm guessing that's more work than creating a thread.
Zhym wrote:Or when players are going to be away for a while, they could just set their signatures to contain a message to that effect.
These are both good ideas, and I may try implementing the first one. It should be pretty easy.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Zhym wrote:Or when players are going to be away for a while, they could just set their signatures to contain a message to that effect.
Great idea. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun