Small change to rolling stats

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Small change to rolling stats

#1 Post by Zhym »

The issue of being able to re-roll abilities has come up before, I think, but I just noticed something else about the "Roll Stats" function: the result of the roll doesn't say which method was used to roll the stats. It may not be a meaningful change considering that any DM who is a stickler about how attributes are rolled will require people to use macros, but could something like "(3d6)" or "(4d6c1)" be added to the entry in the log so a DM could see what rolling method was used?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Small change to rolling stats

#2 Post by dmw71 »

This whole time I didn't realize there was a drop-down to select a different generation method. :oops:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:The issue of being able to re-roll abilities has come up before, I think, but I just noticed something else about the "Roll Stats" function: the result of the roll doesn't say which method was used to roll the stats. It may not be a meaningful change considering that any DM who is a stickler about how attributes are rolled will require people to use macros, but could something like "(3d6)" or "(4d6c1)" be added to the entry in the log so a DM could see what rolling method was used?
I agree with the thought that if you're using the stat generation method provided by the dice roller then you shouldn't at all be concerned with verifying which method the player used to generate the rolls, considering they can run them over and over until they get the rolls they want, regardless of whether it's 3d6 or 4d6c1.

So far, Dave's method of creating a dice roller ID, making a test dice roll that Dave confirms, and THEN using that dice roller ID to manually make your rolls is the best method for ensuring fair rolls for all players.

Fair as it relates to opportunity, not outcome. If you are concerned with fair outcome of dice rolls, then you should be using a point system and not a dice rolling system.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

I like what Zhym is suggesting, and I think it would be pretty easy to implement, but I also have always HATED that part of the dice rolling system, and feel that the only fair way to do it is to roll stats manually as Alethan suggests.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

It's true that the method Alethan describes is the only way to make sure there isn't any re-rolling. But a DM might decide not to care about re-rolls while still wanting people to use the right method for the rolls—or at least wanting to see how the rolls were made, just to check that there wasn't a mistake.

Return to “Suggestions”