Editing player posts

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Editing player posts

#1 Post by Zhym »

Would it be possible to give DMs the option to edit player posts in their forums again? It comes in really handy for things like adding notes to character sheet posts.

Thanks!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Editing player posts

#2 Post by ToniXX »

At this point I'll have to say no... sorry. Someone got severely butt-hurt because their posts were edited and I don't want to go down that path again.
Maybe we can revisit this in the new year.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Norjax »

I used this all the time when I was the GM for Mutant Future. I would clean up the posts for uniformity and spelling errors, so I didn't have to bother the poster and cause potential conflicts. One poster had difficulty with color-coding and formatting due to his mobile device. No one ever complained to me.

I have tentative plans to GM another game after the first of the year, and I will miss this feature. Too bad the butt-hurt individual couldn't work things out with the editor/game master.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

As I said, we can review this in the near future, and maybe handle it on a case-by-case basis: those who'd like the feature would have to agree to NOT doing certain things, and as long as they're just cleaning up posts and/or adding info as necessary, it should be okay. The butt-hurting occurred when someone thought they were being impersonated or their account was hacked, so it was kind of extreme, but threats were leveled which is why I'm tentative to turn this feature back on.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

I'm pretty sure I know the incident you're talking about. Wasn't that more an issue of entering posts under a user's name to NPC his character, as opposed to editing posts? Would it be possible to enable post editing without enabling the ability to change the author of a post? IIRC, whenever I'd edit a post, it would add a line to the end of the post saying I'd edited it, which might be enough, together with DM education and having players who are excellent to one another, to avoid future butt-hurt incidents?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

If I go in and edit your post, there is no indication it was done. Nor do you receive any notification that it was done. I had absolutely no involvement with the other incident, but I completely agree with not allowing the edits.

I've had posts edited by DMs before and was a little put out by it. I'm not comfortable with someone else changing what I type on a forum.
Zhym wrote:?..with DM education and having players who are excellent to one another...
This won't work because human nature.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Keehnelf »

Alethan wrote:
Zhym wrote:?..with DM education and having players who are excellent to one another...
That's why I am a robot.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

I would have sworn that moderator edits were tagged as such, but looking back I guess that was optional. Still, I've always marked DM edits on character sheets and such. I'd think a policy that tells DMs, "If you edit a player's post, leave a reason" would solve the problem nicely.
Alethan wrote:
Really? Okay, maybe players won't always be excellent to one another, but has there ever been an incident of malicious DM editing that would suggest that DMs can't be trusted with the power to edit posts? I'm as cynical as anyone (or so I thought), but this makes no sense to me.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Apologies for the confusion. I just meant that most people will gladly follow whatever guidelines that are in place and there will always be people a percentage of people who disregard guidelines for whatever reason. It's human nature.

In any case, as a player I would be highly uncomfortable with someone editing my posts.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:Apologies for the confusion. I just meant that most people will gladly follow whatever guidelines that are in place and there will always be people a percentage of people who disregard guidelines for whatever reason. It's human nature.

In any case, as a player I would be highly uncomfortable with someone editing my posts.

Agreed. I also believe a player's post is his/her responsibility, and not mine. Misspellings happen, especially when posting from a phone as I am wont to do, but if it gets to the point where it's constant and a distraction that's a player I wouldn't want in my game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keehnelf wrote:
Alethan wrote:
That's why I am a robot.
I knew it! :lol:

I wouldn't mind being able to edit my players posts either. I'm not talking about what they write or how they spell though.

When I first started out on this board I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing as far as how to structure my posts and such. For a newbie it was hard to figure out what should be in spoilers or what the different colors were all about. If it wasn't for an extremely patient DM that I was lucky enough to be taught by, (thanks again Grog!) I still probably wouldn't know what I was doing on here. I caught on fairly quick due to self immersion, but I know that not every player has the time or ability to do that.

I like all my players to post the same way as far as dialogue and ooc. I don't think anyone's feelings would be hurt if a GM went in and organized their content that was already written out but just not structured properly. I'm not sure if its possible to create an edit that wouldn't let you change text but only let you change the way the post is laid out.

It's no big deal to me either way, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I certainly wouldn't want anyone getting butt-hurt! :lol:

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

These are all great reasons and we sure do not mean to impinge anyone's fun.
Please know that there was a lot of behind the scenes talk about this with Greg and the Mods. The decision wasn't made lightly and, as Greg said, can be revisited.
Sorry guys. We can't do this right now, but perhaps in the future. Thanks for all the food for thought here, just wanted you all to know it wasn't falling on deaf ears.
Be well,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Suggestions”