Hidden DM dice rolls

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hidden DM dice rolls

#1 Post by Zhym »

Here's another idea I had for the dice roller. Sometimes, I'd like people to be able to see that I made a roll as the DM, but I don't want them to be able to see the results of the roll, or wait until later to show the results. Sort of like rolling dice behind the DM screen then lifting the screen later.

Would it be a difficult change to allow rolls to be marked as hidden by a DM, and hide the results of that roll if anyone but the DM looks at the roll?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Hidden DM dice rolls

#2 Post by dmw71 »

:lol:

The inability to hide DM rolls has been longstanding concern of mine, and there has been a lot of discussion and several changes to this end already.

Greg, this one is all yours. :D
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, since you can look at the history of dice rolls in a campaign, it's an easy way to metagame for the unscrupulous player...not that we have many of those on this board, but it removes the possibility of an accusation if there's any question of it in the future...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hmm where is the google +1 on here anyways? ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by onlyme »

Can you not create a 2nd campaign to roll only those hidden dice? That should prevent searches on history...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

you could but it would still not completely do what Zhym is suggesting unless I am not entirely comprehending between what you mention onlyme and what Zhym is stating.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Given that you can currently only see history for a) your characters and b) campaigns where you have a character registered, a DM could create a new campaign for all DM rolls for that campaign and players would never be able to see it.

The DM could probably also make rolls with a character that is not tied to any campaign and you wouldn't be able to see them, unless someone knows how to make an open search in the dice roller now. I haven't tried lately, but last I knew, that feature had been removed.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

That's not entirely true. There are ways that anyone who has a basic familiarity with how the web works can still look at any dice rolls individually, by campaign, or for the entire dice roller. I don't think anyone here would do that just to go peeking at "private" rolls, but it is possible.

I currently do on-the-fly rolls when I need a roll to be more or less secret. I'm mostly thinking it would be cool to have a way to make a roll such that players can see I made the roll but can't see the result until later.
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Just my two coppers, and a silly idea, but sometimes those work. :)
Make the "On the Fly" roll, screenshot the results.
Type **clatter clatter** in your Action Post (or whatever you use).
Then reveal the roll (via the IMG tag, or by uploading the picture) when you want.

I occasionally use **clatter clatter** or some such when I roll a wandering monster roll, or when I use real life dice instead of the roller. Doesn't happen often, but I use that or something similar. I've never done what you want to do though... sounds interesting!

Good luck,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

:lol: Ron I love the input. **clatter clatter** wouldn't you like to know what I just rolled for :D

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

;)
Sometimes I'm too silly. My major face to face DMing is for my three daughters (my 3yo, she likes the dice but doesn't play :D ), and they are 7yo, 10yo and 12yo... I'm hoping that when I DM it won't be too silly or immature, or maybe I do? :lol:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by AleBelly »

rredmond wrote:;)
Sometimes I'm too silly. My major face to face DMing is for my three daughters (my 3yo, she likes the dice but doesn't play :D ), and they are 7yo, 10yo and 12yo... I'm hoping that when I DM it won't be too silly or immature, or maybe I do? :lol:
Ha ha. My 8 y.o. son has really taken to the game, but gets distracted by the dice sometimes. He plays a cleric, so if he gets too distracted his goddess usually punishes his character by making his pants fall down or having to wear lipstick for the day. Don't think that would fly here!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:My 8 y.o. son has really taken to the game, but gets distracted by the dice during the game.
Are there people who don't get distracted by the dice?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by AleBelly »

Good point. I get distracted by the dice in real life. :oops:

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by ToniXX »

Sorry finally getting to reply here:

I see what zhym is asking for, and I see why. Currently, there are workarounds as suggested in this thread, but yea, anyone with basic knowledge of how a webapp works could search rolls for other PCs or other campaigns. I'll have to mull this over a bit and see what options there could be. As others have said, most players on these boards can be trusted, but I see the point.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Llewellyn throws pens at the kobolds if he can throw past the front rank of battle.

Darts (THAC0 20): [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7 [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19 [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9
Dart Damage (S): [1d3] = 1 [1d3] = 1 [1d3] = 3

Return to “Suggestions”