Discussion - Character Concepts

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussion - Character Concepts

#101 Post by Marullus »

I am good with it. It is particularly poignant - your father made the choice to lock the gates of Erebor and led the dwarves north... And you didn't go. That makes it much, much more personal.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Thorin_I
Thorin was born after his father Thráin had led the Dwarves of Moria away from Khazad-dûm and had founded the Kingdom under the Mountain in Erebor. Thorin himself became King under the Mountain in T.A. 2190. However he heard that the majority of the remnants of Durin's Folk were now gathering in the Grey Mountains. In T.A. 2210 he decided to leave the Lonely Mountain and reunited its people with their brethren in the Grey Mountains which were rich and largely unexplored.
You've said your "Whispered Secrets-Wise" led you to pursue your fate in Mirkwood (which is, after all, back on the doorstep of Moria/Khazad-dum, which your own grandfather fled) instead of accompanying your own father. (Your grandfather lived until you were 20, so you likely heard tales of Khazad-dum on his knee... I suggest you change Wizard-wise to Khazad-dum-wise, if you discovered things in the last few centuries.) That's rich material. I'm looking forward to what beliefs evolve from that.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Marullus »

How's everyone else doing?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:How's everyone else doing?
Heh, I thought things would be less crazy this week... Unfortunately with it being the last work week of the year for me, and our desire to put a release out in early next year...

I still hope to get to things, but may have to wait for next week when I'm on vacation (though that may paradoxically mean LESS time to do play by post, we'll see...).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#104 Post by Verrain »

Marullus wrote: You've said your "Whispered Secrets-Wise" led you to pursue your fate in Mirkwood (which is, after all, back on the doorstep of Moria/Khazad-dum, which your own grandfather fled) instead of accompanying your own father. (Your grandfather lived until you were 20, so you likely heard tales of Khazad-dum on his knee... I suggest you change Wizard-wise to Khazad-dum-wise, if you discovered things in the last few centuries.) That's rich material. I'm looking forward to what beliefs evolve from that.
Well let's open that notion to the group then. My character is built to know a lot of stuff about Mirkwood and potentially a lot of stuff about dwarven societies long abandoned such as Khazad-dum. So my guy is most useful if we are going through the Mirkwood towards old settlements in the Misty Mountains. Is that the story the rest of you want to tell?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by ffilz »

Verrain wrote:
Marullus wrote: You've said your "Whispered Secrets-Wise" led you to pursue your fate in Mirkwood (which is, after all, back on the doorstep of Moria/Khazad-dum, which your own grandfather fled) instead of accompanying your own father. (Your grandfather lived until you were 20, so you likely heard tales of Khazad-dum on his knee... I suggest you change Wizard-wise to Khazad-dum-wise, if you discovered things in the last few centuries.) That's rich material. I'm looking forward to what beliefs evolve from that.
Well let's open that notion to the group then. My character is built to know a lot of stuff about Mirkwood and potentially a lot of stuff about dwarven societies long abandoned such as Khazad-dum. So my guy is most useful if we are going through the Mirkwood towards old settlements in the Misty Mountains. Is that the story the rest of you want to tell?
That sounds cool to me, and I'll try to riff off that when I get my beliefs written.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Marullus »

I think that's a great story to tell. It puts you as a good prelude to the Tolkien events.

...who was it, after all, that convinced King Thror to come and assault Moria after the dwarven exodus already went south?

...Why was Thrain II in/near Mirkwood to be captured by the Necromancer? How did word of his captivity make it to the Wizarding community to tip off Gandalf?

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=4888#p213598
Marullus wrote:What do we know about what the dwarves did during this timeframe?
- We can assume they scattered and did a lot of things, and we can take many avenues for our story.
- We know a bulk of dwarves, following the King, went south through the Gap of Rohan and settled for a time in the hills of Dunland.
- After their time in Dunland, they went north on the other side of the Misty Mountains and re-settled in the Blue Mountains.
- Thorin II (later "Oakenshield") was living in the Grey Mountains as exile-king before the beginning of the Hobbit. (170 years from now)

- Twenty years from now, King Thror went to Moria and was slain by the orc chieftain, Azog.
- This kicks off a nine year war, where Thrain II convinced the Longbeard dwarves of the Iron Hills to join them in the assault.
- Azog was slain by Dain (from the Iron Hills) and Thorin II got the name "Oakenshield" for using a tree branch to protect himself in the battle. Dain and his dwarves win, establishing there (later to all be discovered dead by Gimli in the Lord of the Rings).

- Thrain II is later captured by Sauron (known as the Necromancer) and held at his tower in Mirkwood until he is tortured and died, passing along his map, key, and story to Gandalf
- 171 years from now, Gandalf gives the key and map to Thorin Oakenshield to start the Hobbit journey.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My dad was back in the hospital recently though we aren't sure why. So, other than trying to keep up with other games, that was my focus this week. My wife is out tonight, so once my boys are in bed, I will put some effort into my character.

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#108 Post by Verrain »

I was thinking on a third belief and I came up with this.

Durgar has a destiny greater than he knows. I must cast the runes for him.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Marullus »

Nice!

Yes, I encourage beliefs about each other. Again, to help beliefs, here's some prompts:
  • Your Oath: What promise did you make to an NPC relationship before Smaug came (which may be even harder or more complicated now)?
  • Preservation: What is the most important part of dwarven society and culture to you which must be saved? How are you going to preserve it in this time of societal collapse?
  • Bigger Than You: Who are you acting for beyond yourself (if anyone) in this chaos? Why (the belief) and how (the action)? [Your answer may also drive your acquisition of relationships and affiliations]
  • Hope: Where do you see safety/security/prosperity being re-acquired in your near future? How? [Proposal to drive towards Mirkwood and the lost realm of Moria/Khazadum for all PCs]
  • Companions: Read your fellow PCs beliefs. Which one do you strongly agree with or disagree with? Make a belief about why, and an action about how you're going to interact with that PC to support their drive or change their mind.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Marullus »

Bumping this as we re-engage after Christmas. :)
Marullus wrote: Anyone who needs help with the sheet, please ask. Otherwise I'm trusting you to do that math.

I'd like everyone to focus for this week on:
  • Have your lifepaths set.
  • Identify your primary NPC relationship and what your Oath to them is.
  • Also post a primary Belief about the current situation.
  • Show your relationships on the Line of Durin if you have the Dvergar trait, or if you're related to other PCs if born Guilder/Clansmen.
  • Determine if you're having a Squire/Bodyguard or Gang/Crew, which will be part of the core story.
  • Spend the rest of your resource points so we know your reputations, relationships, and affiliations, if possible.
  • Finish up allocation of stat/skill/trait points.
You'll have four beliefs total (with the Oath); defining at least one about the scenario and defining your NPCs and Oaths will help provide a core understanding of what your guy is about. This will then allow me to provide an NPC relationship map and will allow you to form some of your remaining Beliefs to interact with the beliefs/concepts of the other PCs.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

Happy New Year! Let's get rolling. :)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:*bump*

Happy New Year! Let's get rolling. :)
I will try and get beliefs written up today...

I really thought I would have more time in front of my computer over the holiday, it just didn't happen...

Frank

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#113 Post by Verrain »

Holidays have a way of filling your free time. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#114 Post by Spectreman17 »

Looking good everyone, I think everyone (except Rusty) has posted a character sheet, complete sans beliefs/instincts. So let's talk about beliefs: a belief should have an achievable goal. such as Verrain's belief #2, which states what he believes, and how he intends to get there. He wants to go talk to Radagast and convince him of something. Craigers, your first belief is a great first half, but you need an achievable goal, for example, "I will slay beasts to feed our ragtag group" or "I must master a sword". ffilz, your #1 works, though it's a very longterm goal, so you wont gain a ton of arthra from it until you can narrow it down and complete it. Your #2 needs a more direct goal than just keep him safe, because you are never really done keeping him safe, therefore never earning that kind of Arthra.

I generally make my beliefs with at least one acheivable in a short period of time, maybe even setting a goal for the first scene. In this case, I'll hunt down a real weapon and begin training with it (Belief #2). The rest can be a bit further out, 1 achievable in 3-5 scenes, and 1 set as long term plot driving goal. You can also use them for character development, either setting yourself up to fail or to have to make hard choices. My oath and and Verrain's Oath are good examples of that. He will have to survive without hunting, and I will have to choose between being labeled a coward (a dwarf who refuses to take an oath) or break my own belief.

Post up your thoughts and ideas for beliefs or instincts and we can help you nail down the rest of it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by ffilz »

As we move discussion forward on our beliefs and develop some goals, I will probably be able to add a more achievable goal to the 1st belief, and as we get to know Thrim better, I will also be able to tighten that one up.

What is the immediate situation we will start play with? Have we literally just escaped (in which case we may not even have all come together), have we rendezvoused and now are planning/debating where to go next, or have we already made a plan and are starting to execute? If we start too soon, we risk not actually coming together as a coherent group.

I'd welcome some thoughts on how to form a belief that will either lead Khudrarn to get even further lost in his Thousand Yard Stare or eventually snap out of it (I'm interested in playing to eventually have that trait voted off or transformed).

Should we start a new thread for a belief workshop and "planning", or keep that discussion here?

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by Craigers07 »

I'm ok with staying on this thread.

I updated my character sheet with achievable goals per your suggestion Spectreman17. I'll fill in the Instincts tomorrow and am looking forward to beginning the game.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by ffilz »

Spectreman17 wrote:Looking good everyone, I think everyone (except Rusty) has posted a character sheet, complete sans beliefs/instincts.
We also need a sheet from Art.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for posting all that! (I missed this being updated some how.) I will review things this weekend. Please keep rolling with the Belief Workshop.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Marullus »

Character Overview:
Rusty Tincanne - Born Clansman-- > [insert skill here] --> Husband --> Adventurer.
Ffilz - Born Noble --> Ardent --> Axe-bearer --> Graybeard
Mynameisart - Born Clansmen --> Tinkerer --> Husband --> Trader (or Bard concept?)
Craigers07 - Born Noble --> Ardent --> Axe Bearer --> Foot Soldier
Spectreman17 - Durgar (last guard of the gates). Born Guilder --> Hauler --> Banner Bearer --> Banner Bearer
Verrain - Born Noble --> Ardent --> Rune Caster --> Crazy Witch
Craigers07:
Thrim needs to buy a relationship with his parents (who he swore his oath to)

ffilz:
What Oath did he swear to his wife or son before the Fall?

No sheet from Rusty Tincanne.
Read previous feedback: viewtopic.php?f=289&t=6986&start=80#p339152

No sheet from Mynamesart.
Are you still in? No posts since Dec 4. I'll send a PM.

Current BITS Direction
From your sheets I see...
  • Dvalen needs to seek Radigast for a scene. Aiming into Khazad-Dum's Hall of Records.
  • Durgar needs survivors to protect and opportunity to be heroic.
  • Thrim needs to defend survivors, find a permanent home, advance in military rank.
  • Khûdrarn leading son to safety, keeping him safe.
No gangs or crews. No squires/henchmen.

Entourage Includes:
  • Darbur (significant, hateful of Durgar)
  • [Thrim's Parents]
  • Throfroin Grayshield (minor, son of Khûdrarn)
  • Gorya Goldstein (significant, hateful of Khûdrarn)
Current Interpretation/Game Direction:

[Rusty's PC] (the traveling adventurer) knows Dvalen (the sagey old runecaster). He has led you there for inspiration on where to go next. You've fled west to escape the Lonely Mountain, but the larger group is still arguing about where to go next. You're seeking good ideas and we begin on the eaves of Mirkwood when you reach Dvalen's leaky shack.

You're a small group and it looks more like an "adventuring party" than "leading the masses" (Nobody paid for gang/crew to have groups adventure with you). We'll play that you're the motivated advance-party trying to figure things out by staying ahead of the bickering mass of "significant people" coming behind you. Your actions will have implications on those coming behind and you can go interact with slower-moving refugee camp as desired, but we'll focus play on your immediate situation.

The anticipated direction is:
  • Cross Mirkwood safely to get to the other side.
  • Seek Radigast in the woods; Find a safe pathway for the entourage to follow; deal with implications of the Necromancer and "Fear of Mirkwood" as a dangerous place to cross
  • Once through Mirkwood: advance to the gates of Moria, brave the depths within, find the Hall of Records
  • Decide if/when you're bringing the Entourage through Mirkwood, and/or find a safe place to park them until you can make it safe (on either side of the Forest)
  • Determine if it is safe to bring the Entourage to reclaim all or part of Moria; how to keep them safe until or during the attempt
Good?

If so, I think the "I will find a permanent home for my people" beliefs are good. You can then add an action statement after it addressing the nearer-term actions on the above list. That makes them achievable in each chapter of the story (and guides what I put in the actual chapters).

An interesting aspect is that your entourage is full of people who have failed the entourage and who significant people in the entourage actively resent. You're not being "sent forward" by them as much as you're trying to do right by them in spite of your relationships.
  • You're mostly fallen/dispossessed dwarves. Those you care about behind you are Significant (i.e. more important than you and leaders of large groups) and don't like you. It makes sense that you're staying out of camp - it isn't a happy place for any of you, day to day. :)
  • You're a loyal bunch, though, and won't leave the camp behind. Each of you has beliefs related to what the camp does, where it goes, or what it thinks of you.
  • The story is about you - the entourage will be largely dependent on you to determine what they do (they'll be a bickering and deadlocked bunch, given who you put in their midst!)
  • When you do good and find a solution, you'll have to struggle to convince them to accept it (given relationships). So, each "Adventure" segment will be followed by a "return to the camp" segment where you try to fulfill your social beliefs (which most of you have, wanting recognition/renown/etc) by convincing them about what you did.
You also have some interesting intra-group dynamics that might come forth.
  • Dvalen believes Durgar has a greater fate - that will evolve awesomely on its own.
  • Thrim seeks military advancement; he needs to convince Khûdrarn as the only senior Military in the party, or convince the NPCs back in the entourage (and thus challenge Khûdrarn for military leadership in the party)
  • Khûdrarn is tired and central to the other soldier PCs, but he cares more about his son (who will therefore be close at hand); what beliefs does he have to relate to other party members?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
I fleshed out some currently-bought NPCs.

Return to “The Rise of Smaug (Burning Wheel)”