Discussion - Character Concepts

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Discussion - Character Concepts

#21 Post by ffilz »

If you want to keep focus on the non-outcasts being out of place, we should probably cap it at the two outcasts...

I think if we tip the scales the other way, it might be best to all be outcasts.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#22 Post by Verrain »

Well sometimes it takes your home being set on fire to make you realize that you miss it. :D Even outcasts might rally round to help with that. But I am fine with

I'll admit that part of wanting to take adventurer was the giant pile of points and skills. It is why I doubted that I was selecting it for the purity of my vision. It is also why I was wobbling on taking Foot Soldier. Modify the vision and take the lifepath with really useful skills for the road ahead or stick to the vision of a person unprepared for the road thrust into having to deal with the outside world.

I had considered taking Wordbearer or Horncaller twice but that seemed like the dull solution to the problem. I was looking for it to be an evolution of sorts. I had not considered Husband. That would either give me a family on the road, deep loss of a family to dragonfire or possibly both. Definite possibilities.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

For those taking Husband/Wife, take a look at the "Gang or Crew" rules if you want extended family along. Or the "Bodyguard or Squire" rules if you have a particular family member who should have a larger solo part. Or, as suggested, roleplay the deep angst of having lost them all (literally or figuratively). This applies to any refugee group you want to have a belief about (and helps determine if they're useful or just a burden). It also is key to setting the theme of the game.

Ultimately, how much we involve the collapse of dwarven society at your back into the gameplay will be decided by your character's Beliefs. It is possible we go on a journey that is aligned, opposed, or tangential to that story arc.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#24 Post by Spectreman17 »

I'm ok with an all outcast party, It would fit my character who was disgraced when the dragon came and now is with this new crowd of less than respectable folks.

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#25 Post by Verrain »

Hmm, and here I was going to stay respectable and end with Husband. Either way, any objections to my guy also being from the Ironpull family/clan?

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#26 Post by Spectreman17 »

Not at all, The only established character I have in the family is that my dad is disgraced by me. You could easily be part of the clan, or if you prefer, part of the immediate family.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

If we go with an all outcast party, do we want everyone to have a different outcast life path, or is a bunch of adventurers ok? I think either way works, a certain unity of the group is created if several folks share a life path, other the other hand, it can lead to sameness.

I'm really open to anything, and I find this discussion interesting. I know this kind of brain storming is the kind of thing that is expected for Burning Wheel (though not always required, sometimes there's a clear upfront idea and people can jump right in and burn up characters).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

When I initially read the pitch for this game, I imagined a small group of dwarfs seeing it ahead of a larger host, scouting a path to find a new hold or acting as ambassadors to sell shelter in another dwarf hold.

I could see a non-outcast using this event to become an outcast/adventurer. So if we wanted to be outcast, we wouldn't all need to start that way.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#29 Post by Spectreman17 »

I absolutely agree, and that would be my fit into the party. We don't all have to be outcasts before the fall. and we don't have to fully seperate from dwarven society. We could be outcasts using this opportunity to try and reconnect with their kinfolk or dwarves trying to find a new life away from the leaders that brought them to ruin. either way works with any characters, depending more on our beliefs.

I wouldn't stress too much about picking life paths that place us all together, build a character with a personality, cares, feelings, and life to them. Then use beliefs to build plot and bonds.

We've all just had the largest dwarven settlement for miles demolished in an instant. we're all in the same boat no matter what boat we were in a week prior.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ffilz »

I'm working on my Greybeard, I have 3 free trait points. I was thinking of taking a trait that suggested why he was a survivor, so along those lines, I have some thoughts:

Eye of the Hunter
Thousand Yard Stare (not so much how he survived but a result of what happened)
Dexterity of the Cat (not what you'd think of for a dwarf, but maybe he's just a bit different and that's what let him survive)
Fleet of Foot (again, not an expected dwarf trait)

In the realm of just being a solid dwarf:
Healthy
Fortitude
Stoic

Or in a totally different direction
Darling of the Court

If I take one of the two point traits, the last point could be spent on:
Oddly Likeable
Tidy Aspect
Thick Skin
or some other character trait

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

Spectreman17 wrote:We've all just had the largest dwarven settlement for miles demolished in an instant. we're all in the same boat no matter what boat we were in a week prior.
Precisely. That's the campaign pitch - the abrupt refugee status of the entire society is a leveler which puts everyone outside their comfort zones. Those that had station in the dwarven society now find themselves homeless adventurers. Those eschewed by dwarven society for a previous life outside its norms as an outcast or adventurer now find that everyone else is on their turf (with often uncomfortable expectations). I expect both sides to have their own bit to struggle with in it. Ideally, I like the idea of both high-born, low-born, and outcast in the party and we can weave a story that's interesting between your Beliefs.

If you want to be an all-Outcast group and ignore that story in favor of another angle, I'm willing to pivot to the desires of the group. However, it looks like at least two of you like having been previously-respectable.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:When I initially read the pitch for this game, I imagined a small group of dwarfs seeing it ahead of a larger host, scouting a path to find a new hold or acting as ambassadors to sell shelter in another dwarf hold.
Whether there is a larger host behind you depends on your resource points and beliefs. If you believe you need to care for some group (your wife and kids, your extended clan, your displaced mining crew, the young dwarven prince) and you pay the points for them, then the game will include them being in the diaspora with you.

If you all decide you are alone (your family lost and not yet found, or lost permanently) and you just are a small group pursuing some goal alone, then that's what will happen.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote:I'm working on my Greybeard, I have 3 free trait points. I was thinking of taking a trait that suggested why he was a survivor, so along those lines, I have some thoughts:
Thousand Yard Stare (not so much how he survived but a result of what happened)

If I take one of the two point traits, the last point could be spent on:
Oddly Likeable
Tidy Aspect
Thick Skin
or some other character trait
A greybeard axebearer with a thousand yard stare makes me shiver. :)
It's a pretty blank slate, too... most of his flavor will come from the beliefs you write about "what he's seen" and how it drives him.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:
Spectreman17 wrote:We've all just had the largest dwarven settlement for miles demolished in an instant. we're all in the same boat no matter what boat we were in a week prior.
Precisely. That's the campaign pitch - the abrupt refugee status of the entire society is a leveler which puts everyone outside their comfort zones. Those that had station in the dwarven society now find themselves homeless adventurers. Those eschewed by dwarven society for a previous life outside its norms as an outcast or adventurer now find that everyone else is on their turf (with often uncomfortable expectations). I expect both sides to have their own bit to struggle with in it. Ideally, I like the idea of both high-born, low-born, and outcast in the party and we can weave a story that's interesting between your Beliefs.

If you want to be an all-Outcast group and ignore that story in favor of another angle, I'm willing to pivot to the desires of the group. However, it looks like at least two of you like having been previously-respectable.
I'm down with that now, I like where we're heading and look forward to seeing more burning details of the other PCs as they get worked up.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:When I initially read the pitch for this game, I imagined a small group of dwarfs seeing it ahead of a larger host, scouting a path to find a new hold or acting as ambassadors to sell shelter in another dwarf hold.
Whether there is a larger host behind you depends on your resource points and beliefs. If you believe you need to care for some group (your wife and kids, your extended clan, your displaced mining crew, the young dwarven prince) and you pay the points for them, then the game will include them being in the diaspora with you.

If you all decide you are alone (your family lost and not yet found, or lost permanently) and you just are a small group pursuing some goal alone, then that's what will happen.
I haven't started with my resource points yet, will probably at least have someone to care for.

Frank

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Another consideration which we implemented last time... Your stat points come from actual lifepath age, but at 4 LPs you all are pretty young. If your concept calls for someone older (Husband/Wife, Greybeard, etc) you can raise your age as desired for role-play purposes.

The one thing this does effect is that, if you are older than 170, you lived through the dwarf/dragon wars in the gray mountains before the return to Erebor and I let you open a wise. (It also becomes a significant plot point as this now is NOT the first time a dragon sacked your home and sent you packing.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So this is only the second time I've burned a character and I'm not entirely clear on the process at all. Just to get a feel for this, could I do:

Born Guilder >> Hawker (leads to Host) >> Foot Soldier (lead to Outcast) >> Adventurer

Thanks.

(Do you always enter a new setting at the top lifepath and then move through the setting from there?)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

You can enter any life path in a new setting you meet the requirements for. Note my born noble -> ardent -> axe bearer -> (host) graybeard.

mynamesart
Squire
Squire

#37 Post by mynamesart »

Huzzah! I'm in!

So I scrapped my Folklore idea for the time being, although I may still mull that idea around during play, in favor of going full bard and grabbing Stentorious Singing and Dwarven Rune-Script. My basic idea is a former soldier who figured out quickly that soldering was not for him and instead to earn his living as a sort of historian and poet. However, he does have a wife and child to care for as well (I intend to have them alive and with the group unless anybody has any objections, in which case I'll rework). So far here's what I'm looking at for lifepaths:

Born Clansman --> Husband -> Dwarven Host Subsetting --> Horncaller -> Guilder Subsetting --> Wordbearer

Anybody have any thoughts or concerns?

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#38 Post by Verrain »

That is basically all of my lifepaths in a different order. *chuckle* I believe husband cannot be your second lifepath. Otherwise, looks good.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Huzzah! Welcome Art!

Two things:

1) You can't have Husband as your second lifepath. You can go Born Guilder --> Wordbearer --> Husband --> Horncaller or Born Guilder --> Wordbearer --> Horncaller --> Husband.

2) A Wordbearer/Horncaller is entirely duplicative with the concept that Verrain proposed, so I'd say that he has first dibs on it. I do think it is specific enough not to duplicate.

3) If you want to go full-on Bard, the correct lifepath is (Outcast) Drunk. :D It is the only Lifepath that gives Stentorious Singing as a dwarven lifepath skill (though you're welcome to buy it with general skill points otherwise, paying the higher cost as a magical skill). It also gives you Tavern Tales-wise, which is the core of bardness. Getting dwarven rune script is an upper class thing - it requires being Born Artificer or Born Noble. Again, you could get it with general skill points if born lower-class, but I kind of like the direction the story goes if you follow the lifepaths.

There are few paths to get from Born well-off and ending up outcast. Options on that include:
Born Noble --> Ardent --> Abdecart --> (Branch Outcast) --> Drunk
(Born noble and apprenticed both among scholarly and martial paths, he washed out and ended up in the tavern. He gets Dwarven Rune-Script, Ettiquette, Sing, Stentorious Singing, Southing Platitudes, and Drunking, then also Chronology of Kings, Obscure Text Wise, Whispered Secrets Wise, and Tavern Tales Wise.)

Born Artificer --> Ardent --> Tyro Artificer --> Drunk
(Born among the Artificers, he rose high enough to learn general blacksmithing, but washed out to the tavern before learning the true crafts of the Artificer's trade. He still gets Dwarven Rune Script, Soothing Platitudes, Stentorius Singing, Drunking, and Tavern Tales Wise, but adds Dwarven Art-Wise as he appreciates well-worked goods and can call on his industrious upbringing with Firebuilding, Mending, and Black Metal Artifice.)

[Note that humans have one Blacksmithing skill. Guilder dwarves and Artificer apprentices can achieve Black-Metal Artifice only, which is just general blacksmithing work (nails, horseshoes, teapots). Dwarven Artificers hold all the high arts: Stone Artifice, White-Metal Artifice, Gem Artifice, War Art, Hallmaster, Forge Artifice.]

ETA:
Alas, I was really excited about the Folklorist. :) Many of the dwarves have "Fear of Mirkwood-wise" under the house rules, but you, as the shunned "crazy dwarf" on the edge of Mirkwood, are the only one with actual and true working knowledge instead of just fear and supposition. It would give you a lot of narrative control over what is "true" in the gameworld.

I liked:
Born Noble --> Abdecart --> (Branch Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
(Born of the aristocracy, he was so fascinated with deep mysteries that he pursued them to his social detriment. He has Dwarven Rune Script, Ettiquette, Runecasting, Foraging, Folklore, Herbalism, and Poisons. Then also Chronology of Kings, Obscure Text-wise, Bad End-wise, Fear of Mirkwood-wise. And, if old enough, Dragon-wise.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by ffilz »

Does the armor like Dwarven Heavy Mail include a normal shield or is the only way to get a shield the Dwarven Shield?

Return to “The Rise of Smaug (Burning Wheel)”