Discussion - Character Concepts

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Discussion - Character Concepts

#1 Post by Marullus »

This thread is for player brainstorming on character concepts for the campaign. Please feel free to help each other out.
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussion - Character Concepts

#2 Post by Marullus »

If you are all dwarves and/or have a linked starting history, we can begin by jumping straight into some form of action or plan. If not, we will have the prelude in the refugee camp where you can meet and establish the plan of action.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:If you are all dwarves and/or have a linked starting history, we can begin by jumping straight into some form of action or plan. If not, we will have the prelude in the refugee camp where you can meet and establish the plan of action.
We should definitely have some links between our characters as part of burning.

How many life paths? Any restrictions?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Spectreman17 »

Hey all,

I was part of the first run of this game. we played 4 Life paths. If we continue with that, I will reuse my sheet.

If we are changing the number of life paths, I'll rebuild. Let me know.

Name: Durgar the Coward

Concept/Bio: A sole surviving Warrior from the battle at the gates

Lifepaths: Born Guilder, Hauler, Lead to Dwarven Host, Banner Bearer, Banner Bearer

Stats:
  • Wi: B3
  • Pe: B4
  • Po: B5
  • Fo: B5
  • Ag: B4
  • Sp: B3
  • Stride: 6
Attributes
  • Ref: B3
  • Ste: B6
  • Hes: 7
  • Hea: B5
  • MW: B11
  • Greed: G2
  • Circles: B1
  • Resources: B1
PTGS:
  • Su: B3
  • Li: B6
  • Mi: B8
  • Se: B9
  • Tr: B10
  • Mo: B11
Arthra:
  • Persona: 2
  • Fate: 2
Beliefs:
  • Oath: I swore to my father to gain honor and renown for my middle class family name (Ironpull) by making a name for myself as the remaining guard of our wandering people.
  • I want to be acknowledged as a hero of the tales of my youth, I must learn to use the proper weapons of a hero.
  • I must regain my honor from fleeing from the fight with Smaug, I will protect survivors till they can settle in a new place
  • I failed to fulfill my promise to my father, I will never make another promise, for fear of failing a second time.
Instincts:
  • I always step into harm to defend a friend, no matter the cost.
  • I always end my day by refolding my banner in the traditional manner.
  • When faced with death, I choose to flee on a failed steel test.
Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Dt] Aura of Martyrdom, [Char] Bearded, [Dt] Greed, [Char] Heavy Drinker, [C-O] Lifting Heavy Things, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Dt] Obsessive (craftsmanship), [C-O] Resigned to Death, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough

Skills:
  • Banner-wise B4 (0/4R) (0/2C or 0/1D)
  • Cargo-wise B3 (0/3R) (0/2C or 0/1D)
  • Conspicuous B3 (0/3R) (0/2C or 0/1D)
  • Drunking B2 (0/2R) (0/1C or 0/1D)
  • Formation Fighting
  • Hauling B3 (0/3R) (0/2C or 0/1D)
  • Intimidation B2 (0/2R) (0/1C or 0/1D)
  • Road-wise B2 (0/2R) (0/1C or 0/1D)
  • Erebor-wise B2 (0/2R) (0/1C or 0/1D)
  • Brawling BL (0/6R)
Affiliations: 1D City guard of the Lonely Mountain

Reputations: 1D Sole Survivor of the Gate Watch, 1D Heavy Drinker

Relationships: My Father, Darbur, Who disowned me for failing at the gates (Significant, immediate family, hateful/rival)

Gear: Sturdy Shoes, Clothes

Property:

Spells:

Weapons:

Code: Select all

Weapon  Power     WS     Add    VA
Branch     2      2      2      -
Greed Idiom: Power, Craftsmanship, and Riches.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If we're all going with dwarves, I might like to create a hermit-sort of dwarf, or an outcast that has more knowledge of the outside world. Someone that can at as a physical guide, but that struggles with the social side of being a dwarf.
I am not married to the idea though, and will wait to hear from the others. I'm willing to try most anything. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Yep, still four lifepaths. Character Creation is under the Rules and Stuff to Know thread. Also, look through the Background thread for the Tolkien overview for inspiration.

One thing I like about BW is that there is sufficient variety among dwarves. In many other game settings, dwarves are monochromatic. With four lifepaths, you can get some good variety between dwarves.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Craigers07 »

I like the idea of an all dwarf party. I'll get a character up as soon as I can.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by ffilz »

Craigers07 wrote:I like the idea of an all dwarf party. I'll get a character up as soon as I can.
Sounds like enough of a consensus on all dwarf party to me, I'll gen up a dwarf shortly.

We have sole survivor of the battle at the gate, and an hermit/outcast, I'll have a read over the dwarven life paths and come up with an idea to float.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

mynamesart wrote:I don't appear to be able to post replies in the character discussion thread as of yet, so in the meantime I'll ask the question here:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so apologies if I've missed it, but have there been any discussions regarding magic in the game as it pertains to dwarves? Not like a dwarf mage mind you, but specifically I'm thinking about making a dwarf bard of sorts, and I thought it might be interesting to give him the Folklore skill. That being said, I don't want to throw the game or canon out of whack, so if we're not okay with the making charms and such aspect of the skill, maybe using it as something similar to a wise related to superstitions? Anybody have any thoughts and/or concerns?
Marullus wrote:Magic, for dwarves, is inherent in their nature and manifests in their magic-imbued skills (see War Art, Nogger, Excavation, and Stentorious Debate as examples).

The "bard" aspect seems to be covered under Abdecart and Chronicler under the Noble setting. Dwarven tales are a solemn thing.

A dwarf imersed in superstition and folklore (of which there is plenty of in Mirkwood) sounds like an Outcast with the Runecaster lifepath and Slave to Fate trait.

I would probably allow you to buy Folklore with your general skill points. It sounds like you're looking to the "crazy witch" human LP for inspiration. Getting to the Outcast setting through Dwarven lifepaths is the interesting challenge.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ffilz »

Oops, should have read more before starting to look at life paths...

I started to burn up a Chronicler... I will leave that for mynamesart unless he goes with the runecaster angle.

So here's another idea: Born Noble, Noble Ardent, Axe Bearer, (lead to host), Graybeard. I'm thinking of picking up Khiurgy with general points (basically modelling that with the exodus, he started to become a Khiurgeon out of necessity (that was also the path I was thinking of with the Chronicler).

I actually should leave Chronicler for a player who has been more of a Tolkien fan, it's been ages since I read the books. I watched the LotR movies in the theater as they came out. I did watch the first Hobbit movie last year (will try and watch the rest over the x-mass break...).

Frank

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne - Anti-social, physical-adventurer
Ffilz - Axe-bearer/Graybeard OR Chronicler
Mynameisart - Outcast Dwarven Folkorist
Craigers07 -
Spectreman17 - Durgar (last guard of the gates)

From the mountain: Experienced military leader and a drunk gate-guard looking to learn.
From the outside: An anti-social guide dwarf, and a hermit Folklorist from the edge of (?) Mirkwood
...not a bad place to start from.

I was thinking on the Folklorist thing and re-read the rules for that skill in the Codex. If we're supporting an all-dwarf party, I think I'm willing to allow "crazy witch" from the human setting to be taken by a dwarf who already has Runecaster and who (in this setting) has ties to Mirkwood. [Required trait: A little crazy. (No access to Gifted.) Skills the same.]

The hard part for him (and for Rusty's Adventurer) is getting the branch to the Outcast setting.

The Folklorist:
I think these have the most interesting flavor (imho)...
Born Noble --> Abdecart --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Clansmen --> Tinkerer --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Clansmen --> Tender --> Husband/Wife --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster

Here's a broader list of options...
Born Clansmen --> Tinkerer --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Clansmen --> Tender --> Husband/Wife --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster
Born Clansmen --> Miller --> Brewer --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster
Born Guilder --> Carter --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Guilder --> Hawker --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Noble --> Abdecart --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch
Born Noble --> Ardent --> (Outcast) --> Runecaster --> Crazy Witch

The Adventurer:
Looking to be the martial-guy who ends on Adventurer is easier in 4 LPs. You can do most paths, lead to Host, be either Footsoldier or Arbalester, then get to Adventurer.

For Rusty, I'm interested in seeing him be a bitter parent. :) Like this...
Born Clansmen --> Delver --> Husband/Wife --> (Outcast) --> Adventurer

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:For Rusty, I'm interested in seeing him be a bitter parent.
That isn't role playing for me... :P
J/k. Sounds fun, actually. A bitter dwarf parent. What would make a dwarf bitter? In laws, probably.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Spectreman17 »

I thought dwarves were just born bitter, and then just get more so with age. like a nice a good hoppy beer :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

I think the key question there is, what about being a Father made him take on the life of an Adventurer? He is forever on the outs with the Noble and Artificer dwarves... Why? Was he supporting, following, or avenging his sons? Where is his wife?

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#15 Post by Verrain »

Hello all. Happy to be aboard. I've been playing Burning Wheel for a while but never an all dwarf party so this should be interesting. I could use a little help on settling on my character's life paths. I have come up with this idea of a dwarf that has spent his life passing messages for his clan. So as a child he ran messages for his guild, in the host he sent messages vis his horn and kept the host marching to the same cadence.

So I have Born Guilder, Wordbearer, Lead to Host, Horn Caller

I was to going to have the last lifepath be Runecaster and now have him delivering messages from the beyond, but I see we already have a Runecaster.

So, my second thought was to have him be a messenger to the people outside of the Mountain, to Dale or the Elves or what have you. But there isn't really a lifepath that covers that. I was going to go with Adventurer as that is the closest thing to a Dwarf that goes traveling that there is.

The third thought was to end with gambler and have him reduced to reading tells rather than delivering messages.

If you can think of another lifepath that might fold into these ideas, I'm all ears.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Verrain wrote:Hello all. Happy to be aboard. I've been playing Burning Wheel for a while but never an all dwarf party so this should be interesting. I could use a little help on settling on my character's life paths. I have come up with this idea of a dwarf that has spent his life passing messages for his clan. So as a child he ran messages for his guild, in the host he sent messages vis his horn and kept the host marching to the same cadence.

So I have Born Guilder, Wordbearer, Lead to Host, Horn Caller

I was to going to have the last lifepath be Runecaster and now have him delivering messages from the beyond, but I see we already have a Runecaster.

So, my second thought was to have him be a messenger to the people outside of the Mountain, to Dale or the Elves or what have you. But there isn't really a lifepath that covers that. I was going to go with Adventurer as that is the closest thing to a Dwarf that goes traveling that there is.

The third thought was to end with gambler and have him reduced to reading tells rather than delivering messages.

If you can think of another lifepath that might fold into these ideas, I'm all ears.
Hmm, I guess one question is if we want more than half of us to have ended up in the Outcast setting... We already have a possible Adventurer, though it's also a wide concept life path.

Frank

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by Verrain »

ffilz wrote: Hmm, I guess one question is if we want more than half of us to have ended up in the Outcast setting... We already have a possible Adventurer, though it's also a wide concept life path.

Frank
That could be interesting really. All the respectable dwarves went one way and the undesirables went another. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I can also be persuaded to change my character. ;)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

Verrain wrote:
ffilz wrote: Hmm, I guess one question is if we want more than half of us to have ended up in the Outcast setting... We already have a possible Adventurer, though it's also a wide concept life path.

Frank
That could be interesting really. All the respectable dwarves went one way and the undesirables went another. :)
Hmm, should we all end up in the Outcast setting?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

That was the main concern I was going to raise as well. :) Taking Verrain's character to Adventurer makes the majority of the party Outcasts from dwarven society BEFORE the dragon made the society collapse. It will definitely color the direction and content of the tale.

I'm fine if you all end up Outcasts. Your beliefs should include that fact, and you're likely to have to deal with needy "proper" dwarves who are now finding themselves in your turf.

I also like you not being all Outcasts. Having a few "normal dwarves" displaced by Smaug as main characters in the story helps keep the contrast clearer.

For Verrain's character:
  • If you don't want to be a social outcast, then I'd suggest taking Wordbearer twice (Born Guilder --> Wordbearer --> Wordbearer --> Horncaller). That lets you stay focused on what you're aiming for without diluting it with a different career twist at the end. (This is what Durgar Ironpull did with Banner Bearer.)
  • You can also look at "who has the lore" for each dwarven subsetting. Wordbearers have it for Guilders. Hornbearer is a nice touch. Abdecarts have it for nobles, but only if born noble. Which leaves Clansmen - where it is Husband/Wife and Graybeard. You could go Born Guilder --> Wordbearer --> Horncaller --> Husband, having settled down as a respectable adult. With this route, you end up with Hold-wise, Rumor-wise, Clan History, Clan-Wise, Family-Wise, Oratory, and Soothing Platitudes.
  • You could also just be rounded out as a respectable young dwarven host guy. Born Guilder --> Wordbearer --> Horncaller --> Foot Soldier. You get required Foraging skill and Salt of the Earth trait.
  • If you're okay becoming an Outcast (and frowned-on by respectable dwarves as an adventurer), that does have a lot to offer. You can go the Mental route if Rusty is going the Physical route - in that case, adventurer offers twice as many skill points and the options of Obscure History, Symbology, and Lost Treasure-wise. It also covers your idea of "delivering messages outside the mountain" best, as the Adventurer trait also gives a free Affiliation with a group outside of the mountain.

Return to “The Rise of Smaug (Burning Wheel)”