OOC Chatter

Verrain
Strider
Strider

Re: OOC Chatter

#41 Post by Verrain »

Marullus wrote:(Thank you! You just taught me the correct spelling and meaning of tenterhooks. :) )

Whew! I was getting worried that people might be disappearing.

Your sheet looks pretty good. The only thing I see is that you are still short an Instinct, and the two instincts you have are pretty similar. How are you thinking to differentiate them? Any ideas for completing/revising?
The first instinct is an always in the morning. So I intended that to be an always get a roll in the early morning.

The second means that given his druthers, my creaky old dwarf will travel slowly, wandering down side paths and poking under every tree root as he goes along. I do hope no one is in a hurry. :)

As for the open instinct slot, it is not required to fill out all instincts at game start. I am going to see if something arises organically through play.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

Fair enough! Foraging says it is an all-day thing; with the instinct, you can have the free check as you do other things. Bad things can happen when you're dawdling, so Artha. :)

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#43 Post by Verrain »

The Scavenging skill however has no all day restriction which is why the Instinct is written that way. When he wakes up in the morning, he takes a good look around where he is and scavenges anything edible to take with him.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hi all. I was overwhelmed by the new system and froze. But I really do want to try BW, so, with some help from Marullus, I have most of the character done. And my sheet is posted.

I have 4/7 traits spent. I want to take Coarse Persuasion, but I don't know it's cost. (Not on the Charred page you all directed me to.) If possible, I'd like to spend 1 point on Tinkerer, too.

I'm not sold on the Boxing skill, so if anyone sees anything that looks like it would fit a hardly motivated dwarf, let me know.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

long with the 3 Trait points to spend. Here are my Beliefs and Instincts so far. Having not played BWG before, I am open to suggestions:
Beliefs:

1. I need to do something to build a good reputation to earn Gigriel's family's blessings.
2. Chumlie (cousin) has always been by my side. I will stick with him and we will make our fortunes together.
4. Oath: I swear I will find my fortunes outside the Mountain; enough to satisfy Gigriel that I can provide hearth and home for our children.

Instincts:

1. Always offer my services for gainful employment, thereby making money.
2. Always double check that my belongings are packed appropriately on Mug, the mule.

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#46 Post by Verrain »

Iron Stomach is fun for a 2pt trait. Let's you eat almost anything without upset.

As for your beliefs, try to add a part to them that is an achievable goal. So for your first belief:

I need to build a good reputation to impress Gigriel's family. I will become the first Dwarf to trade with the Elves.
I need to build a good reputation to impress Gigriel's family. I will slay the Spider Queen of Mirkwood forest.
I need to build a good reputation to impress Gigriel's family. I will convince the noble Dwarves of this company to swear to my good name.

All different ways to achieve your aim and all leading to very different story. Beliefs are a place to signal to the GM what you would to see next in the game so it is OK to be specific.

Similar thing with Chumlie. Of course you will stick by your friend but what is it your friend needs help with?

I must help Chumlie achieve his dream of (insert dream here). The first step is to (insert first step of helping with dream.

If you instead wanted a general statement of goodwill towards Chumlie, you could make that an instinct. Always come to Chumlie's defense when attacked. This one is fun if Chumlie is the type to get into trouble. :)

Your two existing instincts look okay to me though I will be curious to see how the first works in play.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Thanks Verrain! Excellent advice on the Beliefs. :)

Rusty, also look at the advice I gave others on instincts. That might inspire you. Look over your skills and see if there's something that pops to mind?
- Always have the comforts of a warm fire. (you have firebuilding, it is useful, it can sometimes cause trouble)
- Always have a knife at hand. (practical, gives 'draw knife' as a free action, can be inappropriate and cause trouble)

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I have 4/7 traits spent. I want to take Coarse Persuasion, but I don't know it's cost. (Not on the Charred page you all directed me to.) If possible, I'd like to spend 1 point on Tinkerer, too.

I'm not sold on the Boxing skill, so if anyone sees anything that looks like it would fit a hardly motivated dwarf, let me know.
Coarse Persuasion is a skill, not a trait. It is "dwarven magic" and so takes 2 general skill points (you have 4 total) to open it. (I definitely think you should - I'd say that you are happiest as a player when you have a social skill.)

I'd say drop Boxing. It is a little better than Brawling, but you can take Brawling as a class skill and Boxing takes general points. You have 4 general points - you are spending 2 on Excavating and 2 on Coarse Persuasion, which is all you've got.

It looks like you may have spent too many on the other skills? Just double check that. You had 18 total for the class skills and every skill opens at a B2 with your current attributes. I think you have too many at B3.

Also, add Fear-of-Mirkwood-wise OR Weather-wise for free, per the house rules. (He can make up tall tales, or he can know what weather is coming as an outdoor guy)

Men of Rohan are not likely to appear in this story, as you've decided to go through Mirkwood to Moria. You can keep it anyway for flavor, but I'd recommend one of the options I PMed to you earlier.

I would suggest taking the Tinker trait, since you invested in the lifepath. (1pt) That leaves you with three:
Perhaps some reason this girl likes you?
Charismatic (2) (Call-on for Coarse Persuasion)
Extrovert (3) (Easier by 1 to open social skills during play)
Glib (2) (Believable storyteller - call-on for Soothing Platitudes, Falsehood, Seduction)
Loyal (3) (You get another belief [5 total] about your loyalty to your cousin)
Virtuous (3) (Dwarven trait to be less greedy)
Folksy Wisdom (1)

...or something that's kept you alive in the wild?
Fleet of Foot (2) (Call on for speed / positioning)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I just went to the BW forums and noticed that they are all archived now. :( I don't know i ever made a post, but I loved reading through it for ideas and stories form other players. What a shame.

What's really crazy is that, though I didn't spend a whole lot of time on that forum, I definetly have been on it a few times since they shut it down, and I never noticed. :roll:

Verrain
Strider
Strider

#49 Post by Verrain »

Just noticed that I missed game start. Sorry everyone. Will try to post today sometime.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

Whew! Glad you are here!! :)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by ffilz »

Sorry I've been out of it for a few days. My new laptop showed up Thursday and I started getting it set up Thursday evening, then Friday I tried to set up my printer and ran into problems, spent the whole day with Microsoft Tech Support and wound up at end of day with the computer in need to reset to factory install... I'm finally in a state of semi-operational status, but have crazy catch up stuff to do for a few days, I will do my best...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Marullus »

*bump* how's it going?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

I checked in with Verrain and he apologizes -- some real life things are boiling over -- but says he'll post this weekend.

Thank you all for hanging in there. My request for commitment was two posts a week, but I'd rather the game run slow and with quality than fast. You all have shown good depth and I'm still excited to see how this story unfolds through your interactions.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm fine with slow and steady. Hope everything turns out okay, Verrain. :)

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by Craigers07 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I'm fine with slow and steady. Hope everything turns out okay, Verrain. :)
+1

Real life comes first. I don't mind a slow game with dedicated players.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

For clarity: FoRKs are just helping dice (a la TB), but from your own skill set, correct?
The only two that look remotely useful are Appraisal and Haggling, with him appraising his opponents (reading their faces to ascertain the value of the cards, and haggling to jockey regarding the worth of his bet.

Blundrin is fine adding in a resources test. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I leave it to ffilz.

Blunrin's Oath is "I swear I will find my fortunes outside the Mountain; enough to satisfy Gigriel that I can provide hearth and home for our children." Does that tie into dice rolling at all?

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#57 Post by Spectreman17 »

I don't know about everyone else, but I often get lost in the forum when catching up on what has been posted. If no one is opposed, could we include character name as a heading on the posts, so as to make it easier for me to keep track of who is who and which characters are speaking. All the dwarfy names blend together :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

Blundrin needs a successful resources test to get Resources 1D, which then earns you Artha for your Oath. It doesn't help the roll.

FORKs are help, yes.

Persona to add Greed.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Spectreman17 wrote:...could we include character name as a heading on the posts...
Great idea!

And thanks Marullus.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by ffilz »

Gah, I need to respond here... Various crazy going on in my life... Will try to get to it this evening, otherwise tomorrow.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Return to “The Rise of Smaug (Burning Wheel)”