Interlude 6: Regrouping

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interlude 6: Regrouping

#21 Post by drpete »

Thonyn is open to the possibility, though he has two concerns... he wouldn't want to piss off his friends, and he'd want to join as a full member of the party, not a henchman. He's already a full party member in a different party.

He thinks that you (or the party) should talk to the leader of his party about either hiring them, or "buying" him out of his group, as a sign of good will. She's the lady over there... (indicating the lady flirting with Ranulf).
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by barkman »

"Well, friend, that is for something for our group to decide and then negotiate with your group. It sounds like we are the most successful group currently exploring the delve, so maybe we should take the lead. "

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by drpete »

Thonyn nods. "Sounds fine to me. Sounds like you guys have been doing great"

Are you guys open to some sort of negotiation with this other party, or does that not interest you. Think about what you might want to hire a group of 1st level adventurers to do, if you want. You can hire them to do whatever you want, though they'll ask a price that depends on what you ask.

Hiring out a party, they have a base price, which is paid based on the danger level.
Tiers of pricing are:
work in a city or stronghold far from danger (by the month) (some task in muntberg)
work in wilderness or known areas of dungeon (by the week) (some task at your base, or in the "pacified" parts of lvl 1)
work in unknown regions, or expecting combat (by the day) (helping you attack the kobolds, or something like that)

If you go deeper in the dungeon than they are comfortable, they'll charge higher rates.

They would want one share of treasure (for the whole party, not for each member), and a payment (weregild) if someone dies.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Stirling »

I like the idea of hiring folk to camp inside the first level. How do the dwarves feel about that though since the mount is sacred to them?

Certainly a pro active group could secure an area, bricking up certain entrances and securing an area, even to the point if sweeping it clean, making it less like a dungeon.

Was there ever a place that had water on tap or a cistern? Apart from the centipede room?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by drpete »

There were pipes in a few places... the centipede room, the latrine, the room with the strange boxes, and maybe a few others.

If you want to hire a group for some such thing, you can.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zorroroaster »

Yeah, I wouldn't want to hire them to be adventuring with us but the direct support role sounds pretty useful.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by drpete »

Ok, so a support role for these guys in the wilderness or the "cleared" parts of the dungeon will cost 140 per week.

They have:
A thief
Two fighters
A cleric of Tyche
A mage

This might be more than you're interested in spending right now, but then again, maybe not...?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by drpete »

You can continue talking about whether to hire them, just gonna move the other stuff forward to the end of the week. Torgyr, let me know how much oil you wanted. If anyone wants to try a gun, lemme know. I'm using the guns of war rules, but only these two guns are available now. Also, please mark off upkeep expenses.

Quinn is eventually able to get up on his feet. Though his "bum leg" continues to bother him, he regains much of his strength and mobility. His endurance and ability to lug heavy loads are still compromised, but he *can* heal and adventure.

Solaine finishes reading the book. It provides her with a great deal of insight into military strategy, and she gains 500 xp!

Solaine also has her ad for a mage answered. A strange little man wearing flowing robes and a metal skullcap greets her, and introduces himself as U-Tar. She can instantly tell that he is a wizard, or as he prefers to be called, a sorceror. He has a gentle, feminine voice, and assures you that his sorcery will be useful. You strike up a productive conversation, and he is very interested in the chapel project. He is happy to sign on as a henchman for the standard fee. His spells are summon berserkers and wall of smoke.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by kalstone »

Solaine will hire the mage. "Out of curiosity, what interests you about the chapel?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

U-Tar ponders Solaine's question before speaking.

"Though I am not one of Mavors' disciples, I have made a study of him. And all the gods. They are all worthy of respect and awe."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by drpete »

Quinn begins advertising for a packbearer. For the moment, the group will need to decide if they wait for that process to play out, or if they want to deal with Quinn's injury in some other way. As it is, he probably needs to lighten his load in order to keep up. Following the new campaign rules, the recruits will show up staggered through the week... if you're not in town on the day they try to answer your ad, you miss those recruits.

Quinn can try out the guns, if he wants, sure.

Given the size of them, they are tough to use... it would take Quinn 6-7 rounds to reload one, depending on how much gear he's holding... you have to put the powder in, and the shot, then ram it down, etc. It has a burning fuse that gets pressed into the powder, igniting it and propelling the metal bullet. It's very loud, and very destructive.

The arquebus is a long pole, like a staff. The musket is longer, and it needs to sit on a wooden fork in order to aim it. Without the fork, (1 of the 2 stone) there would be a penalty to hit.

Did you have a specific question about the guns?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

I was thinking that in conjunction with a tower shield providing additional cover, hiring one musket bearer shooting over the top of Quinn or vice versa if I got a shield bearer, could be quite a defensive set up. But it seems so long to reload one only to have a similiar single to hit chance as an each round bow fire, for the damage and effect it doesn't seem a productive outlay. Shoot, load over six rounds, shoot again....

A blunderbuss pistol that can be reloaded every couple if rounds might be if interest, otherwise it seems impractical to use unless you are in siege warfare not melee.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by drpete »

There might be situations where having this strong "first strike" could be useful, because of the armor penetration and morale check component, but it is definitely limited by the reload speed.

Though not available in game at the moment, there are pistols in acks, but they are also slow to reload, but at least you could hold several. Historically, people sometimes had "loaders"...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Stirling »

Quinn will give a miss on the muskets for now. He will however try to make the local gunsmith good contact, perhaps a spot of corporate carousing and taking his business card. It might make sense rather than just advertise blindly but to seek referrals from contacts, the gunsmith might know an old ranger type who can shoot instead.

Quinn has three articles in his inventory that perhaps others could use better. The female mages cloak with the periodic designs. It wasn't magical but I got it repaired. I will give it to the party mage along with the rune rubbing (servitors race obedience spell) for further study and transcribing.

One thulian war mask, I wasn't convinced the animation effects would beneficial and despite speaking bestial, I couldn't make any use of it. Can a mage identify its' specific use and purpose other than a frightening visage?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by drpete »

The gunsmith will try to remember to keep an eye out for promising recruits for Quinn (the money you spend is a few silvers here and there to several people to keep an eye out for you.)

The mage, U-Tar, finds the robe interesting, but he has his own "style".

The mask does "something" when around orcs, but it didn't obviously help in combat. To have a mage formally research its properties would cost 1000 gp, and take a few weeks, with no guarantee of success. It's also possible that an appropriate type of sage would recognize them and be able to tell you more. You had learned somewhere that they were used by the Thulian army officers, if I remember correctly.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Stirling »

Quinn Coburg

"Well I'm good enough to go one more short trip into the Dwimmermount. Iron door and back, can't say I'm in good enough condition to do much more, especially as I'll only slow you down. Could have a big enough share in what's behind the iron door to fix me leg up good and proper. Perhaps in Adamas, might be a fine place to spend the winter season in too."

Quinn will sort out his kit to lighten his encumbrance. Is there a target figure to aim at to keep him up to speed? Nothing else stands out as appealing enough to warrant too many more days in Muntberg, so he'll join the next 'pig run' with the supplies and stuff going to the mercs' camp.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by drpete »

This raises two good points... you need to pay for the mercs and the pog, too, AND when do you want to go back to Dwimmermount? Quinn has been in town recuperating for a week. He gets healed. How many days after this do you want to hang around Muntberg? I was sort of under the impression that you wanted to go right back the next day, but you could wait a couple more days until the tower is finished, and move in first, if you want.

Choices, based on the various business Quinn does after getting on his feet:

A) Head out from Muntberg to Dwimmermount the morning after Quinn is better (get to Dwimmermount fastest, but have a shorter day in the dungeon)

B) Go to the tents the day after Quinn is better, then go to Dwimmermount from there the next day (short delay, but more time in dungeon)

C) Wait a few more days, move into Tower, then go to Dwimmermount from there (longer delay, but most time in the dungeon)

D) Some alternative that adds additional things into one of these plans.

By default, I'm assuming 1.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zorroroaster »

Hmmm...given that we have pig delivery and mercs to pay, perhaps we do choice B? Or do we think there's a risk that one of the other adventuring groups will be in there poking around already?

If there's a risk of that, perhaps we do A. Otherwise, B?

Maybe we should have Ranulf "ask some questions" of :lol: that lady friend of his...
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by drpete »

So, looking at the calendar, one pig delivery would happen near the beginning of Quinn's rest, and another would be due 2 days after he recovered. You could, therefore, have Quinn recover one day, ho to the tents the next, and bring the pig up on the third day, if you want. Or have Quinn heal, go to Dwimmermount the next day, then the day after that, go up to feed the apeman.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zorroroaster »

To heck with it. I think Plan A is the best option for what we want to do. Our sole aim with this delve is to get to the Iron Door, try the knocker and see what's in there. We aren't planning on sticking around after that, so we should do it as soon as possible to limit interference from other groups. Option A is my vote. :lol:

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”