playing without Experience Points

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

playing without Experience Points

#1 Post by rredmond »

Hmmm, I think I like my XPs too much. :)

Interesting though:

http://www.lordkilgore.com/wordpress/wp ... dvance.pdf
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: playing without Experience Points

#2 Post by Nuke66 »

I was in a series of Dragonlance modules where we leveled after each one before moving on to the next, no XP, but levels!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

We played the DL modules too. Maybe the first two or three. Had fun, not sure how we did XPs?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Hrafn
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Hrafn »

Interesting, looks kinda fun. I may ask my players about it!
Nuke66 wrote:I was in a series of Dragonlance modules where we leveled after each one before moving on to the next, no XP, but levels!
I actually really dislike that. Bad taste in my craw; in old games you're screwing the thief and cleric, and the magic user is getting a huge boost. In modern games, you're still giving any magic user a boost; XP gets spent willy-nilly to make magic items before they gain a level with everyone else anyways, or they aren't allowed to use their class features and stuff at all. Very messy.

I think the best compromise for the second problem I've seen is using action points, and allowing you to convert them into XP solely for use with crafting and spells. No idea how to make it palatable in an old school game though...

Oddly enough, I'm perfectly fine with serial games! Like, start out as competent nobodies; five everyone X,000 experience points, have them build their character, and then they never level up, only gaining loot and fame. More capable of handling certain kinds of stories that way~
Kaa, who devours (5th level shaman, ACKS)

Return to “RPG theory”