Blue bolt of Lightning!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Blue bolt of Lightning!

#1 Post by rredmond »

Xaxyx got my mental juices flowing, when I'm supposed to be working no less, darn it to heck.

Anyone ever use the DM's blue bolt of lightning? Actually I'd love to know if it was an actual blue bolt, but have you ever had to "punish" players? I've never done it, though did get really frustrated with a group once.

I did have a DM in a mid level game that we had in HS, once punish a cleric by not allowing him spells above 3rd level for a module or two. That was interesting. But he ignored indirect hints from his god about a chaotic act he was doing (and I think he was Lawful Good) and rolled the dice to randomly pick which PC he'd raise from the dead, he had a scroll. He didn't pick me ( :( ) a fellow cleric, who worship the brother of his god (Celestian and Fharlaghn IIRC) and instead raised the CN fighter. Too funny.

Anyone else? Any thoughts?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Blue bolt of Lightning!

#2 Post by Alethan »

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Anyone ever use the DM's blue bolt of lightning?
I've never even heard of the "DM's blue bolt of lightning" before. :oops:

-- DM --
Game Status Groups Players
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e) On Hiatus (Archived)
--
--

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by saalaria »

dmw71 wrote:
rredmond wrote:Anyone ever use the DM's blue bolt of lightning?
I've never even heard of the "DM's blue bolt of lightning" before. :oops:
I wouldn't worry - that just means you've been a good player dmw!...BTW is dmw your initials?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Heh, sorry the blue bolt is like punishment from the gods. You do something to anger the DM he hits you with lightning from the gods, no Save, roll 20d6 damage or some such. There are variations on that theme - the DM metes out punishment, whether deserved or not, to severely harm or kill a PC or group of PCs. There's DMs who enjoy playing this way, and arguments for anywhere on that spectrum of "do it alot" or "do it never".

In short: what salaaria said! :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:I wouldn't worry - that just means you've been a good player dmw!
I don't think I'd go that far. It's more likely a case of my DM not being familiar with it, either!
saalaria wrote:BTW is dmw your initials?
They are. And I was born in 1971. :D

-- DM --
Game Status Groups Players
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e) On Hiatus (Archived)
--
--

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by saalaria »

Arr - that was going to be my next question!!

Hrafn
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by Hrafn »

Ah, good ol' bolt from the blue... Lightning with no storm, must be from the gods, right? Right?

Cue Druid sidling slowly behind his tree, smiling smugly....

Anyway. I've had it happen, and done it, but I was young (don't judge me! :oops: ). Looking back, I don't think it's ever really worthwhile. Anything bad enough to kick a player out of the game for, you kick them out of the game. Being punitive in-game is just poor sportsmanship.
Kaa, who devours (5th level shaman, ACKS)

Return to “RPG theory”