Discuss Player Activity

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Discuss Player Activity

#1 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:How does RC handle player activity?
If a game absence is prearranged, he'll NPC the character with no problems, as long as the absence isn't prolonged. (I don't remember if that character receives 50% xp for any encounters while being NPCd or not; I think that is the case, though.) So, if you're going to be out of town for a week, with no internet access, then he'll NPC your character until you return and you'll mostly benefit from whatever happens in your absence. If you want him to NPC your character for two months, though, I don't think you'll get any benefits from whatever happens in your absence, even at 50%.

If the player simply doesn't respond in a timely manner (48 hours in general, though it also depends on the current pace of the game), he assumes their character is scared into inactivity/paralyzed with fear/asleep/picking four leaf clovers/whatever and continues on without them. I think he said he'll let one or two rounds/response requests like that go by with not much penalty (excepting the fact that their character isn't taking any actions to assist the rest of the party, which might make other party members mad). He does not NPC their character through those actions.

(I did not ask why re: this method, but I could surmise this creates a minor amount (i.e. a positive amount) of peer pressure. If you don't take any actions, and the GM doesn't "fill in" for you, then you do nothing. It won't take long before the rest of the party either writes you off because they can't count on you or they start pestering you to take actions because you aren't carrying your weight in the campaign. Again, we didn't discuss that; it is just an extrapolation on my part.)

But after that, one of his Experience Point rules kicks in. It is: XP is given for participating in encounters; not replying nets you no XP!

In short (too late for that, Al), if you don't participate, then he doesn't let it slow the game down, but you don't get any XP, either.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:If a game absence is prearranged, he'll NPC the character with no problems, as long as the absence isn't prolonged. (I don't remember if that character receives 50% xp for any encounters while being NPCd or not; I think that is the case, though.)
That seems reasonable. Depending upon how long the prearranged absence was going to be, I'm not sure if I would dock a player half their experience points, though. Maybe set up some sort of sliding scale where the longer the player is out, the greater the loss of experience points.
Alethan wrote:If the player simply doesn't respond in a timely manner (48 hours in general, though it also depends on the current pace of the game), he assumes their character is scared into inactivity... he'll let one or two rounds/response requests like that go by with not much penalty (excepting the fact that their character isn't taking any actions to assist the rest of the party, which might make other party members mad). He does not NPC their character through those actions.
I like this, too. If notice hasn't been given that a player will be missing, and the game stalls because of their characters lack of declared actions.... freeze 'em.
Alethan wrote:XP is given for participating in encounters; not replying nets you no XP!
I do like the idea of using experience points (or the lack thereof) as a motivator. I haven't followed that game at all, but I imagine it is pretty active considering the above.

-- DM --
Game Status Groups Players
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e) On Hiatus (Archived)
--
--

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:If a game absence is prearranged, he'll NPC the character with no problems, as long as the absence isn't prolonged. (I don't remember if that character receives 50% xp for any encounters while being NPCd or not; I think that is the case, though.)
That seems reasonable. Depending upon how long the prearranged absence was going to be, I'm not sure if I would dock a player half their experience points, though. Maybe set up some sort of sliding scale where the longer the player is out, the greater the loss of experience points.
I think the thing to remember there is that a non-prolonged absence (a week or so) is generally not enough time to miss an entire fight or battle. One round of combat can take three days to complete; an entire fight can take three or four weeks or even longer. I don't think any GM would dock a player any XP should they miss a week of that.

But we weren't just talking actions in combat, though. If, during the absent week, the party is presented with a challenge that involves creative thinking or brainstorming or figuring out some sort of puzzle that resulted in additional XP, and that player wasn't there to actively participate in resolving the issue, then I can see a case for arguing that player not receive the exact same share as everyone else. Of course, it might end up that the GM only awards additional XP to the one player (or players) who resolved the situation; it just depends on how the GM awards XP. Some flat out say everyone receives the same amount no matter what and others say it is totally variable, depending on what the player does and doesn't do. Some compromise and say Combat XP is divided in full shares (you can hardly fault a player for having poor dice rolls if they don't hit anything during an entire combat sequence) and half shares (for hirelings and players being NPC'd) and then players can earn additional XP for role playing or participating in player advocacy (there is a difference).

I tend to like the third option, myself...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

Feels like this conversation should be in the RPG theory, or tips for the DM section down below.

But the thing about PbP is that you can have folks all over the world posting at various times and rates. Over in Legacy we have one person who posts only once or twice a week, but he really enjoys and wants to play the game (course now I just jinxed myself :) ) and I wouldn't want him to miss out on the fun.

It might be worth it, for Shroom, to split the group into post rates. Have a forum for Shroomers who want to post 3 or 4 times a week, and one for folks who can only committ to 1 or 2 times a week. Now that's something to think about mebbe...

I mean (and no shock for those who know me) it's all about folks playing the game and having fun. Sometimes it's a fine balance between the folks who can post every day and those who can only a couple of times a week. But sometimes that dance is wonderful, you know. I played rugby a bit in college and there was a professional who described it as "poetry". I played it because it was a fun way to bash other people and then drink a beer with them afterwards - and because I was the dope who always seemed to block the kicked balls with his face. But when I watched professional ruggers going at it, when a play went down well and as planned, I could see that he was right. As a DM you just hope that your PbP dance is more often poetry than limerick.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Feels like this conversation should be in the RPG theory, or tips for the DM section down below.
Ask, and ye shall receive.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:It might be worth it, for Shroom, to split the group into post rates. Have a forum for Shroomers who want to post 3 or 4 times a week, and one for folks who can only committ to 1 or 2 times a week. Now that's something to think about mebbe...
I had this thought as well. It might disrupt party balance (e.g. all the fighters in one group, all the clerics in another, etc...), but I don't think this would be the worst idea.

-- DM --
--
--

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote: But the thing about PbP is that you can have folks all over the world posting at various times and rates. Over in Legacy we have one person who posts only once or twice a week, but he really enjoys and wants to play the game (course now I just jinxed myself :) ) and I wouldn't want him to miss out on the fun.
Nor would I. And I think you do fine with mitigating the actions so that his slightly lower activity level doesn't affect the game play. It's an arrangement between GM and Player that was understood at the beginning of his signing on.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Discuss Player Activity

#8 Post by Raven Crowking »

There is also a consideration that the "leading characters" (those whose players are active) undertake substantially more risk than those who are inactive.

I am happy to let anyone decide what the "group plan" is, though, and if, after a reasonable period of time, no one objects, that is what the group does. I.e., if the player of Bob the Builder is unavailable, other players may assign Bob tasks, and Bob gains full XP for participating. If Bob's player knows he will be away, he may also assign Frank's player, for example, to play Bob until he returns.

The goal is to keep the game momentum going, and to reward those who participate in doing so. I have also awarded Luck simply for taking action when it was clear no one wanted to be the first to put a character at risk. It's the little things that count.

RC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Momentum is the key, I think. It is slow and difficult to build up, but can be stopped very quickly and easy.

Appreciate the input, RC! I'm definitely going to put some of your ideas into action with the next game I GM.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Raven Crowking »

Well, then, two more things:

(1) If you have NPCs in a group, have them do something to bring in a "new post" and remind the players of the game. For example: "Drom the Unwashed scratches his ear, dislodging a fly." or "Lergrim shifts from foot to foot, peering nervously back down the hallway you came from."

(2) Roll wandering encounters every so often while no one is posting. Write posts mentioning mysterious sounds, smells, and drafts of air. Remind the players that this is a living environment, and inactivity "counts" to some degree as time spent. For example: "While you stand in the corridor pondering your next move, somewhere far behind you comes the sound of an iron grating falling with a terrible rusted squeak and a resounding crash." or "As you wait by the door, an inhuman tittering echoes down the hallway, high and thin and terrible. It seems to be coming from the east." or "As you stand idly in the hallway, the air suddenly becomes warmer, and a wave of terrible stench rises out of the stone floor, like offal and rotting corpses. The warmth passes quickly, but the odour lingers unpleasantly in the air."

These things can (and sometimes should) presage an encounter if no one responds. Likewise, if no one responds, it is okay (in my book) to assume that the party is automatically surprised.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Raven Crowking wrote:Well, then, two more things
Excellent ideas. Thanks for sharing some of your wisdom!

-- DM --
--
--

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by ToniXX »

Raven Crowking wrote:Well, then, two more things:

(2) Roll wandering encounters every so often while no one is posting. Write posts mentioning mysterious sounds, smells, and drafts of air. Remind the players that this is a living environment, and inactivity "counts" to some degree as time spent. For example: "While you stand in the corridor pondering your next move, somewhere far behind you comes the sound of an iron grating falling with a terrible rusted squeak and a resounding crash." or "As you wait by the door, an inhuman tittering echoes down the hallway, high and thin and terrible. It seems to be coming from the east." or "As you stand idly in the hallway, the air suddenly becomes warmer, and a wave of terrible stench rises out of the stone floor, like offal and rotting corpses. The warmth passes quickly, but the odour lingers unpleasantly in the air."
I do this with my FtF group. They may be arguing about what to do about something, and taking way to long with it, so I'll start rolling dice. They stop and pay attention, but usually it's too late and some wandering group of baddies is upon them.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Raven Crowking »

I do that face-to-face, too.

But, on a pbp, we sometimes assume that time has simply stopped while no one is posting. I think that it is better to assume that time slows, but keeps passing, so that very long pauses end in carnage. :twisted:

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Argennian »

Some great points and advice listed previous!

I too feel that GAME PACE is one of the hardest aspects to manage of the Play by Post game. Trying to maintain a good balance that works for everyone (DM included!) is at times very challenging. RL (real life) happens, and it's these times that can throw folks a curve ball in the 'ol momentum and continued-interest categories.

I can definitely understand the desire to push the game forward above all else. I agree that the player's interest and investment in their characters, and the game overall, can suffer during the times when the game slows or stalls. This is especially true of the critical times In Game. I've been in those shoes many times, especially when I was still a new(er) pbp gamer. As a veteran PbP player, it doesn't bother me as much. Imho, most issues that folks have with pbp gaming, comes from too slow or too inconsistant a pace.

But there can also be problems with pushing the game forward at all costs. If one or more of the players has RL (work, family, whatever) drama come up that prevents them from getting on to post, they can get quickly get outpaced and left in the dust. This can lead to them feeling marginalized and not seen as being important to the others or the game overall. I've seen folks lose interest in their characters and the game when they become busy and the others continue on regardless. Admittedly, it's usually the too slow of pace that causes this but it's noteworthy to observe that too fast a pace can have the same effect.

Of course, it's all relative to what each person sets their level of expectation to, isn't it?

I've found it's easier to deal with slow-downs when you're a vet PbPer, especially when you're vested in that game or even have other pbp games that you participate in. I think most would agree that players will only stick around and continue to want to participate in games that they enjoy and feel like they're a contributing part of (in most cases).

When I FtF DM, I wont run my game if someone can't show, unless it's an absolute last minute thing. I want everyone in the group's participation every session. Of course, my FtF groups are never more than 5 or 6 players (mostly 2-4 players). When you run a game with more than 6 players, it becomes nigh impossible to arrange a dates/times that work good for everyone
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Return to “RPG theory”