Hobbits

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hobbits

#1 Post by rredmond »

A totally inappropriate thread for this board :) but since my girls want to start delving dungeons again, figure I can post those pics here afterwards :D I'm hoping to play this Saturday with them as I am off from work!
Here's my 8yo Hobbit finishing the last couple chapters of The Hobbit in a tree. My 10yo is a couple chapters behind her:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Hobbits

#2 Post by Argennian »

**Proud Papa Alert!!** :D

That's awesome news, Ron! I just started running a campaign for my friend's kids and their friends (ages 9-13). They live on a farm just south of Sacramento and although I don't get to see them that often, it's always a good time. I continue to be utterly amazed by how quick they can figure adjusted thac0 and other stuff and they're doing pretty good at the IC role-playing thing as well. (Of course, their father has been playing 1E since it came out and was the one who got me back into 1E in 2003)

Cheers to you and the JDDs (Junior Dungeon Delvers)!! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

See now she read the darn thing in three days. Not sure whether to be proud or frightened. I can't reread the Hobbit in three days. Don't remember how long it took me to initially read!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

I remember my first reading of the Hobbit and the LOTR being a struggle. I've re-read them all several times over the years and found the flow to be much better. I think my problem with the Hobbit was all of the different names... After years of reading fantasy novels, though, I've gotten used to it.

My little hobbit is not yet reading the Hobbit.

He is just trying to learn how to spit...

http://youtu.be/vDKZ1Q6_aXg

(What kind of tree is that, by the way, Ron? The bark and leaves looks like apple, or some kind of deciduous fruit tree... but I can't really see it clearly enough to guess)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by saalaria »

Guys in your experience when do kids get into D&D? I got the old red b/x set when I was about 10 but didn't start playing till I found others interested when I was 12.
Keen to get my son into it but at 4 I am thinking it will be a few years yet...what are your thoughts?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Lol... That 4 might be a little young. I believe Ron plays with his kids on occasion, but I don't know at what age he started them.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by saalaria »

Yeah particularly as he is scared of the shark in finding nemo...what's a lich or even just a goblin going to do to him!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Emma probably first played at 7yo - and is the grogitiest 1E Grognard out there. Brave Halfling has a kids game (Kids, Castles and Dungeons or something) that I tried to get her into but it had ascending AC and she was insulted! :shock: Hanna, my second oldest, is 2 years younger and has played with her the whole time - but though she got it (she's in second grade and tested off the charts in reading and math - the reading portion only assesses up to sixth grade and she blew it away) she wasn't emotionally ready for the dying characters. But lately she's settled into more of a thief or mu who runs away alot. :) we don't play enough, but at ten and eight years old they are good players. The third youngest I have a great picture of her at four picking up dice, looking at the OSRIC guide and saying "what dice do I roll to kill Hannah's character." I'll have to post it. She's five now and wants to play but isn't ready and can't keep her attention.
Edit: found the picture! Here's my 3 of 4, Rebecca -

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

You know what KZ, I think I have a PDF of that Brave Halfling game somewhere if you want it.

So Emma is feeling much better, but still can't go to the pool. Which she is unhappy about. But when the 1yo was napping and the wife took the 8yo and 5yo to the pool we took our opportunity to put her ranger (she rolled it up like 3 months ago, but this is the first time we've played) through UK5 Eye of the Serpent, which is a solo adventure for a ranger, Druid or monk. She was thrilled. This was us prepping to start:
Her complaining about that game I tried to introduce years ago with ascending armor class. Sheesh what a Grognard I've created. :D (insert proud papa alert here ;) )
And the aftermath because they came home after less than three hours at the pool ("Aw, tell them to stay out a couple more hours!"):
So again thanks to you all for the well wishes.
Here's the 5yo and 1yo rolling dice, since I have the 8yo in a picture upthread:

My little hobbits, all four girls!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Way to capture the history, Ron. That's awesome!

-- DM --
Game Status Groups Players
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e) On Hiatus (Archived)
--
--

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Vargr1105 »

I see an "OSRIC Player's Guide" in the pictures, is that a Beta version or something similar?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

I got PDFs of both versions of Players Guides the second they came out. My daughter colored the cover in with colored pencil.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Apparently not as much a Grognard as I thought. My 10yo is running her 8yo sister through a single level dungeon (Sunken Abode of the Batrachian - free on the web somewhere) and my 8yo's thief has made second level already. They are like four rooms in! :)
Plus the 8yo just clapped "yeah a wandering monster roll!" Glad I just finished my paperwork.

That dungeon is from an old Fat Frog Challenge, the winners posted here:

http://bxblackrazor.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... nners.html

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

rredmond wrote:I got PDFs of both versions of Players Guides the second they came out. My daughter colored the cover in with colored pencil.
Both versions? Ok, who makes them and where can I get them from?

Your daughters are cute as heck by the way. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Thanks!

The two guys who made them, reportedly, got cease and desist letters. They were both on RPG Now, for free but only for a short time.

Return to “RPG theory”