Weird Tools for Playing Games

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Weird Tools for Playing Games

#1 Post by tibbius »

This is partly an experiment to see if I can attach a pdf, partly a request for some old school folks to look at this very newish set of rules and comment.
Attachments
WeirdTools.pdf
(81.61 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Weird Tools for Playing Games

#2 Post by tibbius »

Here's another one pager.
DestinyDeck0.1.pdf
(73.21 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

Neat little resources, thanks!
You didn't license the first one, fyi. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by tibbius »

Thanks for the kind words!

The attached version has the proper license in the footer.
WeirdTools0.4.2.pdf
(83.63 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

An update ...
WeirdTools0.9.2.pdf
(106.83 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

WeirdTools1.1.pdf
(107.21 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

MundaneVirtues1.6.1.pdf
(109.38 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
A later version of what started as "Weird Tools."

Still focused on rolling d6s, with 5 or 6 succeeding. Successes accumulate toward victory. Failures (no success in a roll) accumulate toward defeat. Characters have many innate virtues, others need tools. Each character has a few competencies, may even have mastered a virtue or two. As a character gains competence and mastery, they also become more resilient to failures.
Attachments
MundaneVirtues1.6.pdf
(109.56 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Leitz »

It's an interesting mechanic. I'm not sure I totally "get" it yet.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

It's an experiment. I'm still not sure how well it works. Might have been a bad idea to foist it on a game in progress - though it did seem to be working ok there.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote:It's an experiment. I'm still not sure how well it works. Might have been a bad idea to foist it on a game in progress - though it did seem to be working ok there.
Yeah, I kind of lost any sense of Bran moving forward, and that's important to me. This is still better than games like Classic Traveller, where there is effectively no skill progression post chargen.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by tibbius »

Here's another experiment. It lacks any explicit mechanism for character growth, though I guess through narration a hero could pick up more Advantages / overcome a Failing.
MadHermit.pdf
(143.26 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Valdus »

Cool, I wonder if there is anything to change for play by post. Or, if a game like this can be specifically made for play by post.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by tibbius »

I made it to be useful in play by post - or over a table. It can be run solo, collaboratively, or with a DM. If it's collaborative or with a DM, it might be better to have the person who rolls narrate "no" or "yes" and have another player/DM narrate ", and..." or ", but..." results as well as Twists. Mistakes might be (initially) hidden from the player who rolls.

The most recent version can always be found at the "Other" things link in my sig.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

I think rule sets like this are much better for PbP resolution than many "traditional" rules. It does take a lot more collaboration between the players and the DM, so that results can quickly be described and everyone can move forward.

As noted above, the need for character progression is felt by many of us. :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by tibbius »

It wouldn't break the game to provide a level of Mastery above and beyond Advantage. Yet a rubric for obtaining Mastery would be challenging to implement in play by post particularly. I think if it was provided, it would need to be something achieved by consensus of the players based on narrative events. Not "I slay the monster and it's worth X points so now I get Mastery of my sword-waving." Instead, "After we slay the monster and loot its meager hoard, I use my share to support myself working half-time as a shop guard so that I can pay for lodging and food and sword-waving training. My money runs out in a couple of months, but by that time I've almost reached Mastery." And then a roll, with a likelihood set based on narrative, to determine whether Mastery is attained.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

Let me bounce a related idea off you. I've recently watched "John Wick", Jason Statham's "Safe", and the Kenau Reeves version of "47 Ronin". Like many movies, the main characters are well and beyond the average Joe off the street. Their ability to wade through underlings is well portrayed in games like "7th Sea", where you can deal with the "brute squad" in one or two flashy rounds. However, the main character eventually comes into contact with someone who is their equal, or better. Those are the "big fights".

So, if the plan is "your character has an area of high skill" then the character can do the low level stuff easily. The game more becomes about those fewer high level encounters, and how the character(s) prepares for them. Especially if it's a team effort, where the rogue failing their rolls means everyone else is weakened a little bit, before they actually get to the monster.

Make sense?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

I would characterize those "boss" encounters as "unlikely" if a single hero had one relevant Advantage, "even" with two Advantages or Mastery, and "likely" or even "very likely" if two or more heroes had a plan to leverage Mastery plus one or more disparate Advantages.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by tibbius »

I see the Mad Hermit rules got downloaded a few times - that's encouraging for me. I made some updates, you can download for free over at https://tibbius.itch.io/the-mad-hermit. Thinking about starting a game with those rules, over on GiantITP forums: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread. ... Mad-Hermit (though I might do it here, instead, depending where I get most / any interest).
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “RPG theory”